6 Nations Rugby 2008

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

SteveHawkinstramplolene wrote:Just about every jock, whether they admit it or not, love to see England fail. FACT.
And there was me thinking it was everyone, not just the Scots! :wink:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

JimmyGreaves wrote:World Rankings @ 18th February 2008.

England Top of Northern Hemisphere Big Boy but not 2nd in ze vorld

1(1) SOUTH AFRICA 90.81
2(2) NEW ZEALAND 89.59
3(3) ARGENTINA 87.42
4(4) AUSTRALIA 84.20
5(5) ENGLAND 83.83
6(6) FRANCE 82.13
7 IRELAND 78.30
8 WALES 76.79
9(9) FIJI 75.88
10(10) SCOTLAND 74.70
There's only one competion where all teams play at the same time - the only true guage of who is the best. England had enjoyed top spot for 4 years, and will have to suffer being only 2nd best for the next 4.

World rankings don't mean very much at all - you are not comparing like with like. You've got to put everybody together - winner takes all. That's the only true test.
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

Like all competitions its the final results that count and not always the peliminary games. Sure England started slow in the 2007 world cup, but went on to beat Australia and France to reach the final. We also fairly and squarly beat Australia to win the 2003 world cup. Which was not made easy due to the fact it was played in front of a fiercly partisan Aussie crowd.
The present 6 nations competition is no exception, sure England started woefully slow, but having just beaten the favourites at home I feel sure we can pick ourselves up and win it.

*** England 2008 6 nation winners ***

New rugby world rankings as of 25th feb 2008

1. SOUTH AFRICA 90.81
2. NEW ZEALAND 89.59
3. ARGENTINA 87.42
4. ENGLAND 84.96
5. AUSTRALIA 84.20
6. FRANCE 81.00
7. IRELAND 78.81
8. WALES 77.27
9. FIJI 75.88
10. SCOTLAND 74.19
www.35mmview.com
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Big Boy wrote:World rankings don't mean very much at all - you are not comparing like with like.
The scoring system is weighted though, depending on the relative ranking position of two teams that play each other. In other words, you get more ranking points if you beat a better team.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

My prediction as follows:

1. Wales - Champions but probably not a slam. Unless France change their style of play, I expect Wales to beat France at home and that's all we need for the championship (famous last words...)

2. England

3. Ireland

4. France

5. Italy

6. Scotland

I think Ireland could beat England and the positions of Ireland and England be swapped about if that happened. Ireland would win the Triple Crown in that case as I can't see Scotland beating them. I see Italy beating Scotland and maybe causing a big shock against France if they tuck it up the jumper like England did. Italy's replacement fly-half looked pretty tidy last weekend when he moved there from full back late in the second half.

I love rugby I do. :cheers:
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

Best sport in the world... :cheers:
www.35mmview.com
bozzman101
Guru
Guru

Post by bozzman101 »

looking at the stats Randy posted the differance between ireland and wales is only a smidgeon

should be an interesting game in croker !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers: :cheers:
Once you go Asian you will never go Caucasian !!
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Yup - definitely Wales' toughest game. This is what Jonathan Davies thinks:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 262018.stm
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Jaime wrote:
Big Boy wrote:World rankings don't mean very much at all - you are not comparing like with like.
The scoring system is weighted though, depending on the relative ranking position of two teams that play each other. In other words, you get more ranking points if you beat a better team.
Precisely.

When you're sat at or near the topof the tree, it will be virtually impossible to play a team that is better than you.

When you're in the lower echelons like the rest of the 6 Nations Teams, you can earn massive brownie points for doing well against a team like England - what's in it for England?
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

The differences are not massive - which is why you don't see teams leaping up or down the table.

Anyway, I'd have thought you'd have realised that it comes with the territory by now. I don't see new Zealanders crying about how unfair the ranking system is... :twisted:
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Sad night for England, they are in disarray. Goodbye 'headmaster Ashton'

Good job I've got my money on Wales

Guys parading tonight down Poonsuk in kilts and painted faces

Tried to explain to a couple of Thai girls that a true Jock wears nothing under his kilt. Just a kilt and sporen only and no undies

Challenged a guy in his kilt walking by and explained what I'd told the girls and he gave a bow, a wai to them and then the full Monty. It blew their minds. Bet he scored (scuse the pun) later on

Moral------- Dont walk around Poonsuk or Binterban with a kilt on----Unless !!!!

:thumb:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Congratulations to the welsh boys.
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

Typical England.....beat France then lose to Scotland.
Wales for the grand slam.....they deserve it !

Zidane
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

France now need to beat both Italy and Wales by big margins for Wales not to be champions, so I'm hoping for a close game between France and Italy today. All depends on which versions of France and Italy turn up!

As for Wales, their second triple crown in 4 seasons; hopefully leading to their second grand slam in 4 seasons, shows they now have the players and a bit of strength in depth. The Jenkins years between the two crowns were an aberration, rather like England's creditable performances in the latter stages of the world cup are now shown to have been.

Wales defeated Ireland much more comfortably yesterday than the scoreline suggests, squandering two easy pots at goal and having another opportunity in front of the posts reversed because of foul play. They also wasted a number of chances in the three-quarters when donkey forwards cut back inside when the overlap was on. Not to forget that Wales only had 14 men for 20 minutes of the game so all in all it was a very good performance against a strong Ireland side that was simply stopped from playing.

The key Irish threats of O'Gara, O'Driscoll and the back row were nullified by their opposite numbers, with O'Gara having to make plenty of tackles as the Welsh back row just ran straight at him all afternoon. Ryan Jones' ball carrying was superb yesterday as was that of Henson and Shanklin in the centre, who totally eclipsed a very quiet O'Driscoll. It was particularly satisfying to see Wales stick it up the jumper for the last 7 minutes or so, as they did against England, to close out the game in a style more usual of their opposition in their own back yard.

So, roll on France next week!

:cheers:
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Big Boy, RZR, Chelsea et al where are you?

It's all gone quiet over there.... etc.

*rubs it in gleefully*

:mrgreen: