HH to Butterworth - by bus

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
lomuamart

HH to Butterworth - by bus

Post by lomuamart »

Without boring everyone with the details, Lomu has messed up his visa run next week. I was intending getting to Penang, but the trains are full to Butterworth until next Wednesday. Chinese NY and all that. I've got to get out the country on Tuesday 12th, or before. It would be preferable if I didn't go to Ranong this time for a "quick fix".
So, it seems that I can get a 19.30 bus from HH and get to Hat Yai probably about 5/6am. A minibus to Pedang Besar won't be a problem from there, but the BIG question is:
Has anyone traveled from Pedang Besar to Butterworth before by local transport? Are there regular buses? Are there regular local trains(because I would think the main BKK one will be full even if the timing's right)? Any ideas on journey time? Thanks for any help and I'll get on "Google" and see what I can find on the Malaysian side.
If all else fails, I'll get to Sungai Kolok and go to Kota Baru. If that's necessary, I'll join forces with the Pattani United Liberation Organsation (PULO) and fight for my rights down there - that is a joke, BTW.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

It always used to be very easy to get a minibus from Hat Yai all the way to B'worth/Penang, but I haven't done that for 2-3 years now.
This is the way
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Thanks for that d-m. I've also heard that there are sprinter trains that do the same.
Now it's just a question of getting to Hat Yai. My wife is checking.
As I've been posting this - VIP (10pm) 1,600B. 2nd class (10pm) 600B. 3rd class (8pm) 400B. Journey time approx 15 hours.
You have to book before 3pm for advance tickets.
So, hopefully I'll be able to confirm later that I've actually got one. The missus has whizzed down to the bus station now.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Well, things are taken care of so far to Hat Yai. The bus is booked. 600B. 15 hour journey.
From HY to Butterworth shouldn't be a problem and it's been ages since I was down in that part of the world, so if it takes another day or so, I don't care!!
Advice to everyone - don't forget the big holidays here. I've been saying it regarding traveling for years on this forum, but thought I was falling outside of Chinese NY. Obviously not!! Today's been hectic.
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Lomu, it seems a lot of messing about to get out of the country. Can you just not fly from Bkk to Singapore, stay a couple of nights and then come back. Would seem to me a much easier way of doing things.
Cheap flights from BKk to Singapore with Tiger Airways, Air Asia or the like.
It is just a thought
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

Lomu, it's been 5 years since I did this trip to get my original B Visa.

I drove down to Hat Yai, parked in the train station car park, then I called Mags for instructions on where to get the mini bus to Penang.

From what I remember, when you get to Hat Yai, the soi parallel, in front of the train station has two or three mini bus business' all running to Penang. Only an hour wait for the next one, just enough time for a few beers and some grub. I slept most of the way there.

When you arrive the minibus will stop at their own Hotel/Guest House and try and book you in, very expensive for what it is. They will also try and exchange your money for you, at not a very good exchange rate.

I walked around the corner and stayed at the posh city hotel in the centre of town. This was only because at the time I was warned about anti-western feeling in the town.

The next day, for only a little bit more money I transferred to the Holiday Inn on the tourist stretch of the Island. Best thing I did on that trip, three days of relaxation, beer, food, and a splendid time. I paid a taxi driver who was recommended to me to do all the visa stuff and just sat back and chilled out for a few days.

Saving the best 'till last. Outside the Holiday Inn was a restaurant called the Curry House. It served all manner of Muslim, Indian and Asian Curries, over 50 different types. I had curry for lunch, curry for supper, every time different at next to nothing in cost. Beer is a bit expensive though.

Mmmm. maybe I need another trip just for the rest.

Have a good and safe trip, I'm sure I don't need to tell the Moister how to do it, but that was my experience anyhow. :cheers: :cheers:
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Thanks for all the advice. I'm looking forward to tomorrow like a hole in the head. :wink:
Seriously though, I always enjoy a bit of traveling and it won't be bad getting out of town for 5 days or so. It's been some 8 years since I was on Penang and am quite looking forward to seeing it again. I fancy getting up Penang Hill on the narrow guage railway and seeing the sunset with a couple of cold ones, doing some spice shopping in Little India and of course eating loads of curries. I pity the person who's near me on the way back home.
I'll be staying at The Malaysia Hotel where I've been a couple of times before. About 1,200 a night and not far from Chulia Street.
chelsea. Yes flying might well have been a good option and I'll consider it if I have to go again. I'm hoping for a multi-entry Non O, but appreciate I may well end up with a single. I'm 50 in August, so it's anything that gets me through until then at the moment as Imm here are being difficult with the marriage/family income extension. A retirement one shouldn't be a problem in a few months - I hope.
I'll report on my epic journey when I get back. :cheers:
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Lomu, I do not wish to cast a shadow on your trip, but I have read elsewhere that Penang has been giving people hard time renewing visa'a recently and have been putting stamps to say no more renewals on people's passports. Hope all goes OK for ypu mate.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

chelsea,
I've seen the reports also, but the restrictions are for Tourist visas. I'm after a Non O as my wife's Thai. Think I've got all the paperwork in order - marriage cert, copy of her ID card, copy of tabien bahn, letter from her saying I support her and financial information from the UK. I can't think of anything else.
If they refuse me a visa - unlikely I hope - I've got one 30 day entry back into Thailand to use in the six month period. After that, it'll have to be back to the UK to get a Non O there.
As I've said, all I need are visas to tide me over until August when I'm 50, then Imm here have said they'll issue me with a retirement extension (as long as my circumstances don't change for the worse). It really dosn't get any easier for a lot of us to stay long-term here if we're under 50, even when married to a Thai. I'll be glad to get the extension. All the money I'm spending on visa runs could be spent here in Thailand, so there's another loser financially, other than myself.
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Lomu, thats ok just wanted you to be aware that there have been problems down there recently.
While you are there you may like to take a short trip to Batu Ferringhi, it is a very nice beach area of Penang.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

HH to Butterworth by Bus

Post by margaretcarnes »

Chelsea - Lomu has been screwing up his visa runs for so long now I wish I had a fiver for every time this has happened. Hopefully come August 12th he will indeed get sorted. And pigs will fly !
lomuamart

Re: HH to Butterworth by Bus

Post by lomuamart »

margaretcarnes wrote:Chelsea - Lomu has been screwing up his visa runs for so long now I wish I had a fiver for every time this has happened. Hopefully come August 12th he will indeed get sorted. And pigs will fly !
Charming. I've got most of 'em right, Mags. :thumb:
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

HH to Butterworth

Post by margaretcarnes »

OK so why aren't you on the flippin bus!
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

HH to Butterworth by Bus

Post by margaretcarnes »

Oh - and have a good trip Lomu. Do the rail thing, watch out for the minkies, and stock up with cheap Guinness! :thumb:
lomuamart

Re: HH to Butterworth

Post by lomuamart »

margaretcarnes wrote:OK so why aren't you on the flippin bus!
Don't have to be out until the 12th. By traveling tonight, I'm being a good boy and crossing at Pedang Besar tomorrow - the 11th, a day early. :idea: