Perhentian Islands

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
KelpieKiss
Banned
Banned

Perhentian Islands

Post by KelpieKiss »

I'm based in Hua Hin and thinking of taking a trip to the Perhentian islands in Malaysia. I'd be interested to know if anyone has been down there and what they thought. In particular, what would you say is the best way of getting there? I'm thinking about getting the train all the way but I've heard that it can be a bit dodgy down there at the border, especially the east coast.

Thanks for any info.
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

mmhhooooumhahahaaaa dodgy dodgy dodgy! :wink:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I don't think there are any problems on the Malaysian side. It's just Pattani, Yala and Narthariwat in Thailand and therefore crossing the border at Sungai Kolok.
So, why not get yourself to Sadao and find local Malaysian transport over east?
I'm definitely not a travel advisory service, but that seems to be be OK?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

BTW, I was on the bus to Hat Yai last month. Then minibus to Sadao and over the border to Penang. Took the train all the way back from Butterworth, through Sadao and there wasn't a sniff of a problem. Not even much security anywhere - ie army. And those boys have always been present in the train from Hat Yai to Sungai Kolok every time I've taken it over the past 10 years. I wouldn't do that leg now though.
I'm sure you'll be OK and I think Buksida may have visited these islands before. Maybe he can give you an accurate picture of what they're like.
Travel east when in Malaysia and don't expect to get a beer on your way :cheers:
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

I agree - I was thinking east was west and west was east! :oops:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Went there about six or seven years ago, its a bit of a trek but well worth it when you're on the islands. The departure point is a nondescript little place called Kuala Besut about an hour or so south of Kota Bahru.

Just dug up an old piece I wrote for the Observer back then about the trip, if I recall it was in February and I'm sure there will be a resort or two on the islands now but then it was real castaway stuff:

http://www.observergroup.net/ob82back/thismonth.htm
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Went for a long weekend there - back in '97. Drove up from K.L. where I was working at the time, so can't vouch for a trip down from HH.

Mrs.T & I stayed with a work friend and his wife in a beach hut belonging to his family - so he said.

The Islands were impressively quiet - went about this time of year I recall.

However - the two most memorable facts were that it was incredibly windy and of course lacked alcohol.

Very beautiful location though and Bucksi's article is very accurate.
KelpieKiss
Banned
Banned

Post by KelpieKiss »

From what I've heard, there are quite a few little resorts now and you can easily get a beer.

Anyone know of some other paradise Islands that are cheap, quiet and have great snorkeling in these parts?
buksida

Post by buksida »

I've always been a fan of Koh Tao, if you want to avoid the crowds head over to the eastern side of the island and a place called Tanote Bay. Fantastic snorkeling and free diving right off the beach - no need for scuba.

Never been but Koh Lipe looks pretty good too.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
KelpieKiss
Banned
Banned

Post by KelpieKiss »

I've been to Kho Tao a few times. Last time I went I wasn't very impressed. Are the Perhentians better than Kho Tao. I'm trying to look into the best way of getting there and it's a bit of a nightmare.
buksida

Post by buksida »

They're two completely different islands offering different things - all depends what you're looking for really.

Often the places that are harder to get to are more rewarding when you get there!
KelpieKiss
Banned
Banned

Post by KelpieKiss »

I'm thinking of taking the sleeper to Sungai Kolok and then a bus or taxi the rest of the way. Has anyone ever taken the train down here and crossed the Malay border? Is it dangerous.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I've taken the train to Sungai Kolok many times, but as I've said that was a long time ago. I always had a great time down there, but I'd be a bit reluctant to do the Hat Yai to Sungai Kolok leg now.
That's probably just the media putting me off and the fact that I'm 10 years older. I doubt there's much chance that the train's going to be blown up.
When you arrive at Sungai Kolok station, you'll be approached by motorcycle taxis. Take one, as the border is not really within walking distance. Takes about 3-5 minutes. Stamp out, walk over the bridge and you're into Malaysia. A bus or taxi to Kota Baru should be easy from the Malaysian side and then on to the islands.
Although it was probably 8 years since my last trip down there (Sungai Kolok), I've got fond memories of the area. The people were genuinely friendly and you could "get yourself into loads of trouble" on the Thai side. The Genting Hotel is a legend as is the red light area further into town. Mind you, the PULO have been blowing up the red light area recently, so you might be better off not going there.
I'm sure that if you don't stray off the beaten track on the Thai side, you'll be fine. The scenery from Hat Yai to SK is spectacular.
Good luck and please post a travel report if you do it.
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

This link looks very helpful - I think I might like to go there too - let us know how you get on Kelpiekiss

http://travelhappy.info/malaysia/perhen ... ick-guide/
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Good link Jockey,
If I don't an get extension to my visa sorted out soon, I'll have to travel somewhere and get another Non O from somewhere
I'd take a chance on the train to Sungai Kolok and on from there.
Brings back memories - good ones :thumb:
The consulate is in Kota Baru.