Embassy inconsistancy

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Embassy inconsistancy

Post by Spitfire »

To all,
Having been on many visa runs to the nearby countries, I have come to the conclusion that when you go to an embassy in Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia etc that it is simply a decision by the individual embassy as to what kind of visa you get or what they think you are worthy of having. I will try to explain, I went to Vientiane and a non 'O' is easy to get (if the paperwork is in order), however, too many tourist visa's on the trot is a problem. Then I went to Savannakhet and tourist visa is no problem, but a non 'O' is like getting blood from a stone. Malaysia (Pannang) is more accomodating, will give you a 'B' or a multi entry if you want. If in the UK and you go to Hull, then they give you almost anything you want. Cambodia I could not get a non 'O' but have heard of people that have. Don't know about Burma, maybe some of you know, I've not been there. Does not seem to be any clear stratergy on what to give everyone, just how the official feels in each embassy at the time. Comments and experiences welcome, surely this happens to others.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

First off, long term visas - ie Non Immigrant - are always easier to get in your home country rather then in neighbouring ones here.
Secondly, it's always up to the officer's discretion as to whether a visa is issued - I know that dosn't help, but its a fact and maybe accounts for some bad hair days.
Thailand has been moving towards getting foreigners to apply for extensions to visas for a few years now. So, the opportunities to get multi-entry visas are being limited. Thailand simply dosn't recognise that anyone who's not married to a Thai, or is over 50 (and in both cases can demonstrate that there is money) isn't working illegally. I can see their point, to an extent, but there are many people, myself included, who can meet the financial requirements, but aren't married or who aren't over 50. (BTW, I've been married for almost 3 years now, I'll be 50 in August, but still Imm give me trouble after 10 years here).
As far as neighbouring Embassies/consulates are concerned, I'd say the following - please bear in mind that a good bit of this is hearsay. I havn't been to all of them:
Malaysia: Penang. Was there a couple of months ago and only got a single entry Non O despite having more than enough paperwork. Tourist visa runners were being asked for a confirmed return flight out of Thailand and proof of a hotel booking. I think these requirements have been lifted recently, but don't count on it. Penang was not the most visa friendly place when I was there.
KL - I believe is more user friendly
Kota Baru is also reportedly pretty good and laid back. That's probably because not many people go there due to problems in the south of Thailand.

Vientianne seems to be flavour of the month for double entry Tourist Visas. Quite how long this will continue is debatable as there are hundreds of people there every day
Cambodia is definitely off the wish list. Phnom Phen has always regarded itself as being there for Cambodian applicants only.
Singapore seem to be issuing multi-entry Non Os as long as you prove that you've got more than 400k Baht in any bank account, anywhere. And you qualify - normally on the basis of marriage to a Thai.
Burma - I can't imagine that Yangon will be friendly, but I've got no experience of it.
Vietnam - Ho Chi Min and Hanoi seem to blow hot and cold. Again, I don't know much about that.

So, back home is best unless you can extend your Non Imm visa here in Thailand.
I did hear that there's a big difference between consulates, honoury consulates and Embassies. I think the honoury consulates get a bit of dosh from their visa income and they can hire and fire as they see fit. Consulates and Embassies report to BKK and are funded by them, so if they get overworked (as has happened in the case of Penang), they'll just put up more barriers to stop people applying. It dosn't benefit them.
Sorry for being long-winded, but the above is my take on this, but don't treat it as gospel.
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Friend of mine recently went to Kota Baru and got 6 months multiple entry(I think that's what he said, is this possible?).
He said it was very laid back, no fuss no muss.
Maybe the border guys down there haven't been getting much action and so want to make up for it by making it easy for visa run companies.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Well soon you'll be 50 lomuamart and with having a child here you should be able to get a yearly visa without having to show much with regards to finances, so I'm led to believe.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

johnnyk wrote:Friend of mine recently went to Kota Baru and got 6 months multiple entry(I think that's what he said, is this possible?).
He said it was very laid back, no fuss no muss.
Maybe the border guys down there haven't been getting much action and so want to make up for it by making it easy for visa run companies.
I think it depends what type of visa. If it was a Non O, then they're normally valid for a year.
Hull used to list a multiple-entry Tourist Visa on the web site, but I havn't looked at that for a while. That could possibly only be valid for 6 months which is why people don't often apply for them. If you're here full time, then the visa's validity had expired after just two 60 day entries and 30 day extensions to them. It would be interesting to find out if the above is the case because I thought multi-entry visas in the region were now not the norm (except Non Imm Os from Singapore if you're married to a Thai). I would reckon you're right about the lack of people at Kota Baru helping to get longer term visas.

BTW, JG, I'm not aware that I've got any kids anywhere , but you're right that if you do have one through a Thai wife and you're over 50, then the financial requirements are virtually nil. I think that continues until the child is 18. I've got the income for a retirement visa anyway, I've just got to get through the next 4 months or so (one more 30 day run to Ranong - that'll be my last in the 6 month period - and one to Penang for a single-entry Non O should see me through).
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

lomuamart wrote: BTW, JG, I'm not aware that I've got any kids anywhere , but you're right that if you do have one through a Thai wife and you're over 50, then the financial requirements are virtually nil. I think that continues until the child is 18. I've got the income for a retirement visa anyway, I've just got to get through the next 4 months or so (one more 30 day run to Ranong - that'll be my last in the 6 month period - and one to Penang for a single-entry Non O should see me through).
:) Sorry about that lomuamart.

Not been the full shilling recently as stuck here in gloomy Nottingham for the next few weeks :cry:
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Not sure if this helps or not. Friend of mine applied for a Non O visa (Thai wife) while he was in China. Had to show marriage cert plus his passport. Picked up his visa the next day.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Takiap wrote:Not sure if this helps or not. Friend of mine applied for a Non O visa (Thai wife) while he was in China. Had to show marriage cert plus his passport. Picked up his visa the next day.
That's quite normal for a single entry of 90 days - marriage certificate, copy of wife's ID card and copy of her tabien bahn.
The tricky bit is when you apply for a multiple-entry Non O. I was turned down a couple of months ago in Penang, but got the single entry.
It would be interesting to know what variety of Non O your friend got in China and where he applied.