Thaksin to change ManCity crest to Thai style

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
buksida

Thaksin to change ManCity crest to Thai style

Post by buksida »

City owner wants the Premiership club's crest to have Thai symbols

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is planning to change the logo of Manchester City, a move that will enrage even the most faithful supporters of his controversial reign as owner of the British football club.

A Thai source at the club confirmed a report in Sunday Mirror that Thaksin was thinking about changing the club's crest, which features a sailboat and golden eagle. But he denied the paper's claim that the new logo would have an elephant or even garuda, both of which harbour strong links to the monarchy.

"It's true that he wants to change the crest, as he thinks a sailboat doesn't represent something solid as it moves only as far as winds take it," the source said. "He wants to change from the 'uncertainty' to something firm and stable."

"No one can believe that a chairman can just come in and change our badge," a Man City source was quoted as saying in the British tabloid. "What about the club's tradition? The fans aren't going to like this. Just because somebody owns the club does not give the right to change everything."

Yet Thaksin, who initially was affectionately called Frank Sinatra by fans, has proven beyond doubt that he could do the most controversial things "his way". He sacked coach Sven-Goran Eriksson and his changing of the guard at Manchester City led to another high-profile departure a few days ago when chief executive Alistair Mackintosh was paid off for not falling in line.

Thaksin replaced him with former Nike executive Garry Cook. The source said Cook would be handling the logo issue and would be entrusted to run major day-to-day activities of the club.

Designers have already been drafted in to work on the new crest.

Source: The Nation

Thoughts: I don't really follow these news stories but this one caught my eye as it just shows how much of a delusional megalomaniac Thaksin truly is.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

Someone needs to pull 'monkey boy' into line. It aint his fuc**ng country... :guns:
Come to think of it it aint ours anymore either... :cry:
www.35mmview.com
The understudy
Ace
Ace

Post by The understudy »

P'Taks has gone mad, He's gone completly Gaga this time. A President/Owner of a Football team should watch over his team not imterferering into daily Ops!

He's showing dilusional tendancies. P'Taks should not drag Thailand through this mess. Thailand has not a reputation among Man City supporters!

Your's The understudy
In Love with Hua Hin since 19naughty9 and it ain't fading!!!
(My fable for All Things Japanese knows no boundaries!) Proud Student of Stamford University Hua Hin Campus from 1999 to 2004 (5th Batch of Graduates.)
“Once you survive Stamford U Hua Hin Campus only you can survive anything!!!”
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Something more solid eh? Like this maybe?

We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

The megalomaniac KhunT is at it again. However on this occasion I think people are looking to find fault. As chairman he should be sanctioning the change on a decision made by the board. There is nothing revolutionary about changing the clubs crest. Chelsea have done it (with foreigners at the helm) about three years ago. Other clubs also have changed with Barcelona actually changing the name of the club.

I have to agree that although the crest may have historical significance it is hardly relevant today. Man City have changed ground and why not change the crest. Sailing ships and Golden Eagles are not seen much these days in Manchester.

What this has demonstrated to me is the total lack of understanding of his delicate situation at Man City and the power of the views of the fans.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Guess, surely you remember that it was Batesy who changed the Chelsea crest amid much uproar quite a few years ago to the CFC+Lion. I think everyone welcomed reverting back to a very similar, but 'cleaner' version of the original, I certainly did and it was a good bit of PR by the clubs new owners.

I feel for those who had Batesy's crest tattooed on various parts of their anatomy!
Talk is cheap