The Recommended Movies Thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: The Recommended Movies Thread

Post by Lost »

^ forgot to add, both are on prime at the moment. You'll get a much better viewing from real sources... few gigabit yts downloads don't really come close obviously. :D
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Lost wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:51 am BB, I doubt you'd enjoy this. (Edit: I think the Thai wives certainly will though :D )
Thank you :thumb:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:45 am
Lost wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:51 am BB, I doubt you'd enjoy this. (Edit: I think the Thai wives certainly will though :D )
Thank you :thumb:
I've just mentioned this to my son, and he confirms I downloaded it, but deleted it after a few minutes.

Points 48; Position 20
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:01 pm I enjoyed Farrelly's silly Dumb and Dumber long ago, There’s Something About Mary less so. He believes his new film is 'boundary-pushing'
One of my favourite comedies is 'Dumb and Dumber'. To be honest, 'There's Something About Mary' is up there too.

For me, Ricky Stanicky falls closer to the former than the latter in regards to content. It's not 'boundary-pushing' in any way. Christ, twenty years back we had Tom Green's 'Freddy Got Fingered'... :laugh:
Just the mention of "Dumb and Dumber" did it for me....... My PC will certainly be safe from the "Ricky Stanicky" download..
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I was talking about Suspiria - I actually enjoyed Ricky Stanicky last night.

Points 48; Position 20
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

It just goes to show how "sensitive" society has become.

30 years ago Dumb and Dumber had Lloyd and Harry selling a dead budgie to a blind kid!

4 years later Ted got his meat and two veg stuck in his zipper, a dog in full body cast riding on the top of a car in There's Something About Mary.

Not finished Ricky S yet but I've had some laugh out loud moments but yet to see anything that would cause offence to any "normal" human.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

sateeb wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:42 pm It just goes to show how "sensitive" society has become.

30 years ago Dumb and Dumber had Lloyd and Harry selling a dead budgie to a blind kid!

4 years later Ted got his meat and two veg stuck in his zipper, a dog in full body cast riding on the top of a car in There's Something About Mary.

Not finished Ricky S yet but I've had some laugh out loud moments but yet to see anything that would cause offence to any "normal" human.
This type of movie doesn't "offend" me, other than what little I saw of "Dumb and Dumber" I found utter crap. "There's Something About Mary" was watchable, but....
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

When I see reference to Dumb and Dumber, I automatically associate it with a post from Lost, regarding the two US Presidential candidates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:15 pm When I see reference to Dumb and Dumber, I automatically associate it with a post from Lost, regarding the two US Presidential candidatesImage

Yes, very apt!!

:cheers: :cheers:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Road House (2024). As a big fan of Jake Gyllenhaal, I was always going to enjoy this a little. Without him, I'm not entirely sure. Good fight scenes, it's a pretty mindless, easy watch. Something to stick on as a plan b. I've not seen the original Patrick Swayze movie of 1989, so no comparison. Conor Mcgregor's obnoxious presence (he basically plays himself) halfway through, certainly lowered the enjoyment factor for me.

Overall, quite entertaining. I've sat through much worse. 6 out of 10.

:cheers:

https://yts.mx/movies/road-house-2024
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Lost wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:20 pm Road House (2024). As a big fan of Jake Gyllenhaal, I was always going to enjoy this a little. Without him, I'm not entirely sure. Good fight scenes, it's a pretty mindless, easy watch. Something to stick on as a plan b. I've not seen the original Patrick Swayze movie of 1989, so no comparison. Conor Mcgregor's obnoxious presence (he basically plays himself) halfway through, certainly lowered the enjoyment factor for me.

You should watch the original. Patrick Swayze, Ben Gazzara and Sam Elliot, great flick.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

migrant wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:52 pm
Lost wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:20 pm Road House (2024). As a big fan of Jake Gyllenhaal, I was always going to enjoy this a little. Without him, I'm not entirely sure. Good fight scenes, it's a pretty mindless, easy watch. Something to stick on as a plan b. I've not seen the original Patrick Swayze movie of 1989, so no comparison. Conor Mcgregor's obnoxious presence (he basically plays himself) halfway through, certainly lowered the enjoyment factor for me.

You should watch the original. Patrick Swayze, Ben Gazzara and Sam Elliot, great flick.
Will do!

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’ve just watched a film Stratton on Amazon Prime about the SBS - I thought it was very watchable
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:21 pm I’ve just watched a film Stratton on Amazon Prime about the SBS - I thought it was very watchable
As I love to watch the best and the worst, the review guarantees a watch from me, it's a real Rotten Tomato slating! :thumb:
stratton.jpg
(136.5 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Just goes to show how easy I am to please!!

On reflection it’s clearly not a blockbuster movie, but I never felt like turning it off which I’ve done with many others!!