Living for the moment

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Living for the moment

Post by Jaime »

I have often heard it said that Thai people live for 'the moment,' and that the past and the future have no real meaning since the past is beyond reach and the future is unfathomable. Only the present moment is tangible and this philosophy seems to manifest itself in various customs, attitudes and behavioural traits.

For example, I noticed during my recent 3 week stint in Hua Hin that very few Thai drivers reverse into parking spaces, which would make the future exit of the space easier but since leaving the space is in the future, why worry about it? The builders on my house would turn up to do jobs and only once they had started work would they consider how the job should be done and what tools were needed. I know Thai women who only think about the ingredients after they have started cooking! What other manifestations of this 'Live for the moment' mentality have HHAD members observed?
thailooper

Living for the moment

Post by thailooper »

Not sure what your marital status is Jaime but in my case I reckon I was thinking like a Thai four years ago on my first visit to HH.Banging away with a beautiful lady and when finished think of how the "ball & chain" is going to react !!! Not much planning went into that !
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

I doubt if you are alone!

And how did the missus finally react?
thailooper

Post by thailooper »

How did she react ? Let's just say I'm now a free agent and a regular visitor to HH !!
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

If you offered a Thai 10bht now or told them they could have 1000bht tomorrow I reckon 99.9% would take the 10bht now!
Thats living for the moment. :shock:
www.35mmview.com
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

This "living for the moment" certainly is a common trait in Thailand.
My ex was always on at me to sell my property in London. "Enjoy the money today. You may die tomorrow". She never seemed able to grasp that the rental income was the only income I receive and the property was appreciating in value at a disgusting rate.
The current missus wants us to get married. I'm in agreement. However, it's not always easy to convince her that we must wait a while. I need to save money to take care of the two of us and that takes time.
The prospective wife is far more reasonable than the ex, though.
A lot of Thais just can't see further than the end of their noses.