Hua Hin's tourism is over 70% domestic

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
buksida

Hua Hin's tourism is over 70% domestic

Post by buksida »

Some interesting figures from this flowery Post article on our town:

In 2010, accommodation establishments in Hua Hin reported 1,043,907 guest arrivals, of which 714,605 were Thais.

Among the foreigners, the top 10 arrivals were from Finland (44,480), Norway (41,652), Sweden (37,657), Germany (34,947), United Kingdom (28,613), Denmark (20,767), the Netherlands (17,848), Australia (11,133), Switzerland (10,066) and Russia (9,720), according to the Tourism Authority of Thailand Prachuap Khiri Khan Office.

Article: Bangkok Post

Thought: Goes a long way in explaining why all of Hua Hin's events and festivals are only promoted in Thai.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Hua Hin's tourism is over 70% domestic

Post by STEVE G »

Just an observation but whilst Thais obviously do seem to make up a very large part of the local tourism market, the term "arrivals" might be slightly misleading as much of the local tourism consists of weekend visitors whereas most westerners are staying for at least a week.
Having said that, I have noticed that the town has moved more towards the weekend Thai market over the last few years and that isn't a bad thing as the place did seem to be getting too westernized at one point. There is no doubt that the world is moving towards being more Asiocentric and that would be the area to look for growth in tourism.
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

You can access all the stats on the TAT site: HERE
As stated in the OP they're for accomodation check-ins, so do not include those with their own property here. Steve, that's a good point about duration of stay, international visitors on ave. spend 9 days in Thailand as a whole. In Hua Hin Thais & foreigners combined spend 2.5 days (there's no split I can find), and again combined spend on average 2,081 Baht per person/day.

Cha Am looks quite popular these days among farangs :shock:
Capture-2.jpg
Capture-2.jpg (41 KiB) Viewed 6855 times
So HH & CA combined = something like 83% Thai and 17% farang tourists. Bit amazing really that.

SJ
slivovica
Rookie
Rookie

Post by slivovica »

buksida wrote:Among the foreigners, the top 10 arrivals were from Finland (44,480), Norway (41,652), Sweden (37,657), Germany (34,947), United Kingdom (28,613), Denmark (20,767), the Netherlands (17,848), Australia (11,133), Switzerland (10,066) and Russia (9,720)
I would be curious to know why HH is so strikingly popular among our friends from Scandinavia (if I calculate correctly about 50% of foreigners)? This is something that strikes me everytime in HH. I noticed recently how a waiter in a restaurant was able to speak Swedish with a couple from Sweden, which to me seemed unusual for Thailand. And passing though Soi Bintabaht last week Saturday evening, it seemed to have been firmly in the hands of Scandinavians from the snippets of conversations I picked up.
:cheers:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I read quite some time ago - can't remember for the life of me where - that the Scandanavians and to a lesser extent Germans were more adventurous when it came to blazing the tourist trail to far flung destinations, Thailand included years ago.
As a result, such destinations were fairly well known to them before Brits and other nationalities caught on and started arriving. HH was originally a Scandanavian and German destination and this trend has obviously continued.
Might have something to so with the weather as well during the winter months.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Surely, the stats on numbers of arrivals in LOS answer the question. The Scandinavians make up well over 50% of the arrivals, so it would naturally follow on that a much larger proportion would settle - not just in Hua Hin.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Rayong has a large Scandinavian population and they have started their own housing developments in some beach areas. Pattaya also has a huge presence and Scandinavian owned businesses and developments. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

When I started looking for land here back in 2002 there were only two online real estate agencies that I could find in Hua Hin. One of them was "Scandi". The other was British owned, can't remember the name right now but the owner went on to build developments in both Hua Hin and Pranburi.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I also think the numbers are a touch out since many westerners who visit have there own properties, but then again, so do many of the visiting Thais, so who knows, perhaps it all balances out.

I also think we could see the gap getting bigger, with fewer westerners arriving because of the global economy, and also because of current visa regulations. For example, it's a pain in the butt for many people who want to stay for a few months if they don't meet all the criteria.

On my way back from Malaysia there was a young couple with a child on the bus who had applied for a three month visa in Panang. They had only been to Thailand once before a few years ago, so were excited to be coming back. However, once at the border, they were ordered into the office (as was I) and then told that they need to show 40,000 baht show money. When they said they didn't have that kind of money on them, the immigration officer shouted at them, saying if they cannot show the money, he's sending them back to Malaysia. What a fantastic way to welcome tourists :shock:

Anyway, while they were standing around wondering what they were going to do, I got called to the desk and received exactly the same treatment. Fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, I can't speak fluent Thai. If I could, I would have informed the arrogant son of a bitch that he clearly lacks a decent upbringing, since most civilized people teach their kids to show at least some respect to older people. Anyway, I did manage (in between his ranting and raving) that only a very stupid person would walk around with 40K in their wallet. Shortly after, a female officer came and spoke to me and the other couple, and suggested we walk to the nearest ATM on the Thai side of the border, and get a receipt. We all did this, and when we arrived back, the same lady stamped our passports while the ass-wipe sat and stared with obvious contempt in his eyes.

Strange................when you enter the Malaysian side, you get a lovely smile, and they even say welcome to Malaysia. What a stark difference tourists must be seeing. In fact, I can't remember when last I saw a male Thai immigration official actually smiling. Anyway, to cut a long story short, the other couple were, as a result of their welcome, determined to spend no more than two weeks in Thailand, and judging from the spoke, I doubt they'll ever return. What a needless shame. :banghead:

Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

The Fins seem to like Hua Hin the most out of the 'Western' countries...
Capture-1221.jpg
Capture-1221.jpg (29.98 KiB) Viewed 6330 times

While Brits seem not to, but like Thailand in general the most still, but these Hua Hin numbers are for accomodation check-in's, so missing homeowners as Takiab alluded too...
Capture-1.jpg
Capture-1.jpg (65.07 KiB) Viewed 6330 times

Seems Westerner's are well aquainted with all Cha Am has to offer...
gjhghjhg.jpg
gjhghjhg.jpg (42.24 KiB) Viewed 6330 times
So why do German's like Cha Am so much? I know Cha Am is cheap and German's are really tight and that, but that can't be the only reason can it?

SJ
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

Takiap wrote:I also think the numbers are a touch out since many westerners who visit have there own properties, but then again, so do many of the visiting Thais, so who knows, perhaps it all balances out.

I also think we could see the gap getting bigger, with fewer westerners arriving because of the global economy, and also because of current visa regulations. For example, it's a pain in the butt for many people who want to stay for a few months if they don't meet all the criteria.

On my way back from Malaysia there was a young couple with a child on the bus who had applied for a three month visa in Panang. They had only been to Thailand once before a few years ago, so were excited to be coming back. However, once at the border, they were ordered into the office (as was I) and then told that they need to show 40,000 baht show money. When they said they didn't have that kind of money on them, the immigration officer shouted at them, saying if they cannot show the money, he's sending them back to Malaysia. What a fantastic way to welcome tourists :shock:

Anyway, while they were standing around wondering what they were going to do, I got called to the desk and received exactly the same treatment. Fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, I can't speak fluent Thai. If I could, I would have informed the arrogant son of a bitch that he clearly lacks a decent upbringing, since most civilized people teach their kids to show at least some respect to older people. Anyway, I did manage (in between his ranting and raving) that only a very stupid person would walk around with 40K in their wallet. Shortly after, a female officer came and spoke to me and the other couple, and suggested we walk to the nearest ATM on the Thai side of the border, and get a receipt. We all did this, and when we arrived back, the same lady stamped our passports while the ass-wipe sat and stared with obvious contempt in his eyes.

Strange................when you enter the Malaysian side, you get a lovely smile, and they even say welcome to Malaysia. What a stark difference tourists must be seeing. In fact, I can't remember when last I saw a male Thai immigration official actually smiling. Anyway, to cut a long story short, the other couple were, as a result of their welcome, determined to spend no more than two weeks in Thailand, and judging from the spoke, I doubt they'll ever return. What a needless shame. :banghead:

I see old people getting disrespected and treated badly all the time here in Thailand.
It's really a shame.
Thailand doesn't really tourists from western countries. The only thing Thailand really wants from westerners is money because they all think westerners are rich and wealthy beyond imagination.
Thailand really is a banana republic with an absolutely horrendous educational system.

edited to add:
The 70% domestic/thai number really doesn't surprise me at all.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Yes, the office we were in at immigration at the Thai/Malaysian border is rather small, so I was able to hear exactly what the couple were saying, and in no way did they say anything to provoke being spoken to in the manner they were. The same applies to the way I was spoken to. I was polite and respectful, and yet I was treated like secondhand trash. How I would like to bump into that idiot in a pub when he doesn't have his "almighty" uniform on. I bet he'd be as timid as they come. Anyway, whether it makes any difference or not, I have reported it to my embassy.....lol. Without trying to sound anti-Thai, because I'm not, but immigration officials here are the most unpleasant ones I've ever come across, the the other days experience just highlighted that even more.

If Thailand doesn't want westerners here, they should just say so. Westerners can find other destinations, and as we all know, Thailand is more than capable of surviving without tourism, and without any foreign investment. No other country has managed so far, but I'm sure Thailand will.

:cuss:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
slivovica
Rookie
Rookie

Post by slivovica »

Thanks everyone for your responses! Interesting information and additional stats.
Super Joe wrote:So why do German's like Cha Am so much? I know Cha Am is cheap and German's are really tight and that, but that can't be the only reason can it?
No idea. It's horrible. I am so glad I based myself in HH the first time I came here (was contemplating Cha Am as well) and only went for a brief afternoon day trip together with the Maruekatayawan palace, as it's not far from there.

But the drop from 53,000 to 13,000 also tells a story... 8)
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Don't forget that Cha Am district actually starts just after the airport tunnel which means that several large resort hotels that are technically in Cha Am are pretty much part of the Northern side of Hua Hin city.
slivovica
Rookie
Rookie

Post by slivovica »

STEVE G wrote:Don't forget that Cha Am district actually starts just after the airport tunnel which means that several large resort hotels that are technically in Cha Am are pretty much part of the Northern side of Hua Hin city.
Yes, and they look quite isolated to me when I pass by on the road to HH. Really in the middle of nowhere between Cha Am and HH it seems. That wouldn't be my kettle of fish.