The new Venezia Shopping complex

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: The new Venezia Shopping complex

Post by Bristolian »

^^^ I can only agree. Very Zen like
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

The signs have been there for a long time, probably before paying to get in was introduced. Quirky. Humour. Like it.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

sateeb: Yes, you are right and you may be ironic if you can speak, read and write other languages than your native english. I am sure its the only one you can speak.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

If you put that sign in any rural Walmart parking lot in the States, you would have a crowd gathered within minutes. The local force would probably call the Highway Patrol, the Mayor and maybe a Priest. Channel 7 News would be there with sexy Loretta the breaking news reporter, and assuredly a sky chopper filming all. The KKK could indeed show up and burn it to the ground, then everyone go about their business. :shock: :thumb:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

^^ Make a movie too?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

richard wrote:^^ Make a movie too?
Only if sexy Loretta was in it, and the KKK chased the Priest screaming into the night.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

The no-longer new Venezia Shopping complex

Post by LolaBeltran »

Here is an update:
We went there yesterday, on a Sunday afternoon and were surprised to see the degree of failure exhibited by this monumental development. Roughly half of the stores are now permanently closed and the companies gone. Another 20% or so still seem to be occupying the premises ( stock visible, furniture stacked up etc) but were closed to customers. We called one company and they said that they just couldnt get staff to stay. They had hired several people who just walked off. Rough estimate of number of visitors? . .we could all have fit comfortably onto three or four buses. And this was a Sunday afternoon mind you.

The property was beautifully designed ( IMHO) I happen to believe that a copy of something beautiful can also be beautiful in its own right and there are few places in the world as beautiful as Venice. I have also visited the grander "copies" in Macau and Las Vegas and enjoyed the experience in large part because they managed to come close to the atmosphere of life in this historic Italian city. However, in their greed for profit, the developers have chipped away at the original design and plan and the place now more closely resembles a deserted version of Factory Outlet overlaid with typical Thai mom & pop cheap food and trinket stalls along the "Grand"Canal much in the manner of any street in Bangkok. Obviously this is a misguided effort the generate some income from small stall rentals. . .which worked so well (!) at the various Floating Markets. Such a move detracts from the very "Venetian experience" they are trying to sell.

Interesting to note as well that neither pizza nor gelatos. . .ubiquitious in Italy and even easy to find in Hua Hin. . .are available on the premises. What you will find open are a local burger place, two drug stores, a couple of over-priced deserted shops, two banks . .and probably Villa mkt although we didnt go back that far. Dont expect much else. ( The gondola rides are a bargain compared to the real thing in Venice but these gondoliers dont sing and have their hands full maneuvering the gondolas.)

Trying to turn a quick profit is also where the 50 Baht entrance fee came from. ( I believe that this was a really bad move esp for people who owned businesses inside.) But this kind of money grubbing retrofit action ( it was obviously NOT designed for entrance fees as evidenced by the large open plaza in front now blocked by temporary fencing) shows that they are grasping at straws.

It is hard to feel sorry for hi-so Bangkok developers losing their shirts in this property but walking around and seeing the spectacular way it has failed is sad and you do have to feel sorry for the smaller businesses that pinned their hopes on this project. You would think someone somewhere might have done a bit of market research.

One detail visible from Petchakasem says it all. The "Doge's Palace" is the crowning glory of the place with impressive attention to detail in the trim, brickwork, statues etc. . . .an effect totally ruined by a huge highly visible air-con unit. Another thing caught our eye .. .t-shirts for sale featuring the Venezia "Establish in 2013" as if a full year in operation is something for this rapidly failing operation to be proud of. Well, perhaps it is. . .
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

I was told it's now free entrance again. If it is then they dropped a clanger big time when they introduced it!
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I agree 110%. I will never step foot in there again - I was very offended when they wanted 50Baht to let Mrs BB spend a penny when visiting Villa Market. Free or not, they've lost my custom.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Post by LolaBeltran »

Further note:
It IS free entry now and I believe this is supposed to be until December.

We would not have gone in if it hadn't been free.

They are charging separately for the "zoo" which is under construction and also to enter the rather pretty garden in front of Villa market.

Another last ditch effort to garner the support of Bangkokians are the photo op locations which have proliferated all over the project: giant masks, "LOVE" in three foot high letters. . . the upside down house and trompe l'oeil attraction. . . things to have your picture taken in front of while flashing that "V" sign are the delight of the Bangkok crowd.

Today we talked to another of the small business owners who invested in the place. She says they lost 2 million baht setting up the business and paying the lease fees and maintenance fees and had to finally close up and take the loss. They have grounds for a lawsuit most likely but have decided not to risk throwing good money after bad and to just walk away from it all. She laid the blame for the failure of her business on the entrance fee scheme.

A friend pointed out that it is similar in many regards to the development of Satukarn Square. Bad (no) planning, bad management, certainly no market research. . .revolving door tenants.
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

Visited there this morning,only to find that Villa market does now not open until 10,00am,not sure when the new opening hours came into affect.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

were surprised to see the degree of failure exhibited by this monumental development.
Same same as the mall where Satukarn used to be at the traffic light as well as the big "G" mall at the beginning of Soi 94 and the OTOP place by the police station. Yet there are at least two more big malls planned... :? :? :?
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Post by LolaBeltran »

LolaBeltran wrote: A friend pointed out that it is similar in many regards to the development of Satukarn Square. Bad (no) planning, bad management, certainly no market research. . .revolving door tenants.
I had forgotten about the "G" mall fronted by the ugliest statue in town ( a man dancing ?? with a shark??) It was completely deserted when we took the grand tour a couple weeks ago.
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

^^ I always wonder what he's doing with that shark :o
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
HansMartin
Professional
Professional

Post by HansMartin »

Went there when I was in HH a couple of weeks ago. Incredibly tacky, especially the "canal" and "gondola". Who thought up that concept?