Is there a tourist slump in Hua Hin/Thailand?

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Is there a tourist slump in Hua Hin/Thailand?

Post by oakdale160 »

I flew in from Tokyo tonight, big jet, full load. I emailed my colleagues who flew in from Australia and Singapore last week, same story, full loads. I guess the slump forecasted because of the protests just isn't happening. Other opinions?
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Re: is there a tourist slump

Post by Terry »

Despite living Monday to Friday only 700m from Asoke (One of the protest sites) - there still seems to be plenty of tourists around.

Back in Hua Hin the Lodge has bee generally quite busy.

I've come to the conclusion that 'Shut Down Bangkok' has failed - it HAS made life bloody inconvenient at times, but of course all could change rapidly in these situations.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Heard from a travel agent friend that HH is packed but BK hotel occupancies are down. The latter probably due to business travellers changing plans

Terry.....If you are frequenting sois 22, 20 and 18 on Sukem there are always plenty of tourists and the like around there despite the Asoke dramas
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

The bars & restaurants around Poolsuk Rd & Binta are doing well I think.. :cheers:
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

usual suspect wrote:The bars & restaurants around Poolsuk Rd & Binta are doing well I think.. :cheers:
They will be doing even better US when I rock up on Friday. :mrgreen:

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Is there a tourist slump in Thailand?

Post by caller »

Well Thai Airways are certainly suffering with a 30% drop in passengers. They have just reduced the number of flights from LHR as well.

http://mcot-web.mcot.net/mcot-testing/s ... 266f8b45b2
Talk is cheap
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

I flew to Tokyo on Sunday, A380. There were plenty of empty seats (probably 20% in baggage class). When I spoke with the crew they said that passenger numbers were down on this route and that the Sunday flight had the best numbers as most passengers were travelling on business and were arriving in time to start work on Monday morning. Other weekday flights were less full. The tourist numbers from Japan are certainly down yoy.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
bonnielass
Professional
Professional

Post by bonnielass »

A friend recently changed her plans for a trip from UK to Oz. She was keen to visit Thailand on the way through but because of the unrest, decided to switch to Hong Kong instead. If Sky or the other big news channels continue to televise the stand off in Bangkok and images of people firing guns, it's bound to have an impact.

BL
Ye canny shove yer Grannie off a bus....
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Well of course the latest scenes this evening at Paya Thai in Bangkok are just what the doctor ordered for Thai tourism------- :roll: -------- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26224510
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I'm living in a predominately Swedish part time neighborhood now and I can tell you that is seems like half of Sweden showed up in late November and are leaving next month to go back home and in this area they do that every year. Before November it was a ghost town. Since then it has been busy with parties.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
TingTongJohn
Professional
Professional

Post by TingTongJohn »

From what I have heard alot of the airlines are cutting back so that means less seats into and out of Thailand but fuller aircraft .
One word is not a story but it is the beginning and end of one.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Just taking a rough estimate in HH based on regular trips on songtaews, going swimming, walking the beach and golfing, I'd say that town is pretty much jam packed.
This month seems to be much busier than just pre Xmas or January.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The thing I have noticed is either the high season 'Farang Idiot Drivers' (and there were quite a few) have either gone home, or have learnt how to drive the Thai way. Roads have returned to their usual chaos.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Hua Hin isn't really a good measure of tourism trends in general. It's close enough to Bangkok that any reduction in the number of overall visitors to the country is easily offset by visitors who have moved their planned trip from Bangkok to somewhere else, and expats who normally live in Bangkok that want to get away from all the goings on.
Grunter

Re: Is there a tourist slump in Hua Hin/Thailand?

Post by Grunter »

We'll went to BKK last night, very quiet in the streets compared to the normal BKK retrace. We'll flew to Singapore & can tell you the plane was 1/4 full at best. Got speaking with one of the stewards as I take this trip every few weeks have got to know them on this particular flight & she said they have had a 60% decrease in passengers to Thailand in general, so thought that was interesting right from the attendant. This was Singapore Airways by way