Hua Hin Markets

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Dianachris

Re: Hua Hin Markets

Post by Dianachris »

Hi,yes ,we have been to that market on our way back from an afternoon on the army base beach..but regards the Borfai Chatuchuck,someone emailed me it opened, and shut down because of lack of business???
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

lagojardin wrote:The best market in HH is at the bottom of soi 112, opposite the new water park - The freshly madetakeaway food is fantastic and very cheap, my wife comes home with 3-4 plastic bags of delicious Thai food from the same stall, everything at 20 baht per bag. Also the fresh fish, veg and fruit are the cheapest in town .. Give it a try.
I used to work sit and drink beer at a stall there while my ex sold clothes. I did the same in maybe a hundred other markets in Hua Hin and Bangkok. Just another market in my eyes. Not good, not bad... just a Thai market.

I saw some baby products in photos on this thread. I would strongly suggest not buying baby related stuff in a Thai market. Cheap, as in cost, sure. Cheap, as in quality... you betcha!

Thai markets are really only good for cheap food and cheap clothes, in my opinion. Of which I have bought both in abundance. :D

:cheers:
twiceayear
Rookie
Rookie

Post by twiceayear »

Nothing great at any of the markets I've been to. Best part of the markets are the food - follow the locals and you'll be rewarded.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

A couple of questions re the Pae Mai Tuesday evening market, could someone attempt to spell Pae Mai phonetically, ‘cause taxi drivers never understand what I mean because I botch it up completely. :oops:

Is it spoken like Pay My or Pie May or nothing like either???

And we’d be going by taxi, we’re staying at the Mykonos Condo (roughly where Soi 94 meets Phetkasem Rd), what approximate price would I be looking at per way?

I am not a total tight arse btw, just have turned down taxi drivers offering me totally reasonable prices as I had thought my destination was closer. Yet taken a 300baht taxi not knowing the place I was looking for was about 200 meters away.

Thanks in advance

Excellent post by the way!! :cheers:
Dianachris

Post by Dianachris »

you can get the white 10 bht bus to it and it's a drawn out Pie...... as in steak and kidney
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

Pie (drawn out), ok, can manage that. Thank you :-)

And the Mae bit... is that like May ( as in May June July)

and white baht bus.... hmmmm.... I've copied a whole load of info about the baht buses and their routes and timings etc... but just orange, red and green ones. Where would I get on the white one? And would it still be operating when we leave the market? Would think around 9pm-ish.

Thanks again!!
Dianachris

Post by Dianachris »

same sound for Mai as in Mai Chai for NO.
We jumped on one when we left the market around that time,just to see where it went,,,so along and up across the railway line,then down past the Amari onto Petchkasem Rd.not sure where it goes after the crossroads in town ,we got off there..So I guess you stand on your side of the road and do the reverse journey,,,,maybe somone at your reception could help you..show them the hua hin map and point near the driving range...and say talat(market)sort of a silent end t.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

thanks again :thumb:
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Copy and paste and print this out and show the driver:

ตลาดแพไม้

Talad pae mai = pad mai market

Pae as in pair
Mai as in rhymes with high.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Not pad, pae! Bleeding auto correct!!!
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

hhinner, thanks a million, that's exactly what I need. :thumb: will do my copy and paste right now :D
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, this is an old thread, but I had my first proper trip to a few local markets with some visitors yesterday. I couldn't believe how much they have gone downhill. Low season doesn't start until next week, so the only conclusion I can come to is they've gone downhill, or some stalls have closed for Songkran. My observations:

Grand Market

This market was thriving the last time I visited (August 2016) It was at about 50% operation yesterday, with huge unused spaces very apparent.

Market behind City Beach

This market was always well occupied by traders. I would estimate 10-15% occupation last night.

Chatsila Market

Always a nice market, and quite busy, but last night one end was empty. Probably 80%

Night Market

This one was in full swing, and quite busy. However, prices were quite high, and bartering (personally I don't do bartering) was a non-starter. A very take it or leave it attitude. Friends had already identified items they wanted at previous markets at a lower price. They tried to get the same items at the same price, but the traders would not budge, so didn't make a sale.

I don't do markets very often, but have eaten at the night market twice in the last 3 weeks - maybe the eateries we chose were not good, but the food was tourist quality (sub-standard/rushed/mass produced) at top prices. Thankfully, my visitor season is nearly over now, so I won't be expected to suffer this again. Street food and drinks were also poor - one of the main things Thailand has going for it, and traders are cutting corners to provide poor quality.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Pae Mai Weekly Market

Post by wenshidi »

Does anybody know when the Pae Mai night market, which usually takes place on Tuesday evenings, is next scheduled to open?
It has been closed for the last two weeks.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Pae Mai Weekly Market

Post by hhinner »

wenshidi wrote:Does anybody know when the Pae Mai night market, which usually takes place on Tuesday evenings, is next scheduled to open?
It has been closed for the last two weeks.
I think you might have to wait for the provincial covid management order to be modified or discontinued.