Improving Hua Hin.

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Improving Hua Hin.

Post by hhfarang »

^ I'd rather be able to actually walk on the sidewalk and buy food in restaurants... after all, it's called a side"walk", not a side"shop". :wink:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I tend to agree with Takiap, I like SE Asia to be a bit chaotic and street food is one of the things that Thailand is famous for. If I wanted everything to work, I would move to somewhere like Zurich!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I totally agree, I like that thought----- if you want tidy, move to Zurich.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

The only downside is that a nice lakeside house in Zurich will cost millions of pounds, not baht, perhaps that's why they can afford to keep it tidy.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I like street food that's Asia, and don't have a problem with food vendors but blocking the sidewalk completely is wrong if it forces people into a busy road and not to mention restaurants that use all of the pavement for extra seating.

For me a little consideration for people that are disabled or for families like mine with young kids is very much appreciated and go's a long way in my opinion to visitor holiday experience as accessibility is an important factor for us. :thumb:

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Kendo

They do not give a sh1t about farangs..........end of story. It will never change

It is their culture and we have to either like it or lump it
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

It is their culture and we have to either like it or lump it
I've been lumping it for a while... :D :D :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Richard I know they could not give two hoots about farangs but the thread title is about improving Hua Hin we can all dream a bit TOT.

Kendo. :cheers: :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

:D Yes Kenny. I dream too BUT I dream of no or little change to the culture and habits of the country I chose to live in. Screw western advancement.

Just my opinion and dream mate :D
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

kendo wrote:I like street food that's Asia, and don't have a problem with food vendors but blocking the sidewalk completely is wrong if it forces people into a busy road and not to mention restaurants that use all of the pavement for extra seating.

For me a little consideration for people that are disabled or for families like mine with young kids is very much appreciated and go's a long way in my opinion to visitor holiday experience as accessibility is an important factor for us. :thumb:

Kendo. :cheers:

Fair comment but I still can't see why you find it so difficult to get around in town with a kid or kids. We have live here permanently since before our first child was born. We now have three and have never had any real difficulty being out and about with them, especially if both Mom and I are with them. Even herding the three of them across the main road can be done with relative ease if you have patience. Then again, I suppose it is very different for people who have not been living here for a few years.

Some food for thought: despite the chaos, how often do you see pedestrians getting run over?

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Takiap has a point maybe..no-one gets run-over much..is that 'cos HH traffic is not moving much..?
I cycled around last week, both down around South Takiap, & also from Cha-Am.
The southern end of Monkey Mountain sees the massive condo development there, then down Petkasem Rd midway 'tween HH & CA we have the humongous 'Energy' complex also.
I have made an example here of the two largest sites that comes to mind instantly..OK skip back to my 1st line...
..HH traffic is gridlocked NOW FFS!..so what about when these 2 mini-villages either side of town are at full capacity..??
The powers-that-be here in HH are doing absolutly bugger-all about this..the roads are clogged every weekend without fail..do they think it's all gonna pass them by..?
Every day there's double parking, 'illegal' U-turns in front of police boxes, parking both sides of the road on narrow thoroughfares, motorists ignoring 1-way systems..all this before the influx of extra traffic!
Just WHAT needs to be done to ease this problem here..??
(My silly suggestion of an overhead roadway all the way to the Southern end of town is increasingly becoming not so daft after-all).
But as for pedestrian-problems..Poolsuk & the road past the Hilton are by far the most dangerous..purely due to blocked/encroached/developed pavements..it's time for the Amphur to forget the tea money & get tough!!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Making the road in front of the Hilton one way, going north, would help.

But I am sure in years to come, old timers will be posting, do you remember that although parking could be difficult, you could usually find a place to park, there were no parking meters and all the pay to park decks had not been built.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

A lot of good comments in this thread and many would require basic law enforcement. Those of us who have been here a long time know exactly what chance there is of that happening anytime soon. Nothing wrong with dreaming though. Why not build a wall around the only let local residents in with all others having to use songtaews, tuk tuks or local minibuses/taxis. Enough potential for the powers that be to build their property portfolio there to make it feasible.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

kendo wrote:I like street food that's Asia, and don't have a problem with food vendors but blocking the sidewalk completely is wrong if it forces people into a busy road and not to mention restaurants that use all of the pavement for extra seating.
And if the pavement is cleared of street vendors then you'll find them being excessively used by motorbikes; a far more dangerous proposition, I would argue!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Go back 10 years in time...