What's On & Where To Go Hua Hin - Hin Lek Fai

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Big Boy

What's On & Where To Go Hua Hin - Hin Lek Fai

Post by Big Boy »

Yet another photo set that didn't make it onto the main forum.

Before I start, I must have chosen one of the worst days possible to do this photo shoot. I chose 9 Nov 13, the day after the great storm. Unfortunately, many of the footpaths were blocked with fallen trees and branches.

Hin Lek Fire is the large hill/mini mountain that provides the backdrop to Hua Hin. It provides the perfect natural viewing platform to see Hua Hin from above. In fact, even with today's poor visibility, I could see as far as Cha-Am in the North and Khao Takiab in the South. On a clear day it is possible to see much further.

Hin Lek Fire has 6 viewing points. 1, 2 and 3 facing prediminantly South. Unfortunately it was not possible to access those today. Even when conditions are good, these are not the easiest viewing points to access. There are no safety barriers.

Viewing point 6 faces predominantly to the North, and again I was unable to access it. This viewing point poses medium difficulty to access. There are no safety barriers.

Viewing points 4 (the largest) and 5 are easy to access at all times, and there are barriers to prevent falling.

Behind viewing point 4 is a large auditorium with a statue of His Majesty King Prajadhipok (Rama VII) overlooking everything.

Hin Lek Fire is more than just a viewing point. It provides a pleasant walk amongst nature. It is not unusual to encounter the local tribe of monkeys, squirels, lizards, snakes (if you're very unlucky :) ), colourful butterflies etc. It is a very serene setting, with the hustle and bustle of the city below.

There was once a huge bird cage up at Hin Lek Fire. You can still view the huge supporting frame over which a net was thrown. Several of the species that were once held within the cage can still be seen.

This is a 'must see' for visitors to the city.
20131109_125520.jpg
DSC00110.jpg
DSC00112.jpg
DSC00115.jpg
DSC00119.jpg
DSC00122.jpg
DSC00128.jpg
DSC00128.jpg (95.18 KiB) Viewed 1964 times
DSC00131.jpg
DSC00134.jpg
DSC00136.jpg
DSC00140.jpg
DSC00140.jpg (100.62 KiB) Viewed 1964 times
Coming soon - Viewpoint 1, which is actually accessed from half way up the mountain.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: What's On & Where To Go Hua Hin - Hin Lek Fire

Post by dtaai-maai »

Can't help noticing you always refer to this place as Hin Lek Fire - isn't it Hin Lek Fei?
This is the way
Big Boy

Re: What's On & Where To Go Hua Hin - Hin Lek Fire

Post by Big Boy »

I honestly don't know. There used to be a sign on on Petchkasem Road with the spelling I've adopted. If it's still there, I'll photograph it as proof :wink: .

Points 48; Position 20
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: What's On & Where To Go Hua Hin - Hin Lek Fai

Post by Lev »

Title edited, it is 'Hin Lek Fai', which means flint-stone. :thumb:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I've seen a sign that does say "Hin Lek Fire".
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Lev wrote:Title edited, it is 'Hin Lek Fai', which means flint-stone. :thumb:
This photo was taken this morning.
DSC05942.jpg
I think all roadsigns (blue or white) around the town are spelt this way. I rest my case m'Lud :wink:

Seriously, I know Lev well, and his knowledge of the Thai language is excellent. However, he has fallen into the trap that I raised in the thread before I went to Krabi. Why do Thais put in a letter R where its not needed when writing a Thai word in English?

Points 48; Position 20
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

AND....................
Just so as not to confuse anyone....................

Did you know that Hin Lek Fai District is where Hua Hin Fishing Lodge is situated?
It's in our formal address.

And it's nowhere near the Hin Lek Fai Viewpoint which is some 6.4 Km away - as the crow flies........
HHFL & Hin Lek Fai.jpg
:banghead:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:offtopic: :oops:

I have often wondered, when strolling around Hin Lek Fai, "Where is Viewpoint 1?" Well I spotted the signpost as I was taking the 'traffic free' route to Pala-U Road a couple of days ago.
I spotted the signpost as I was taking the 'traffic free' route to Pala-U Road
I spotted the signpost as I was taking the 'traffic free' route to Pala-U Road
Unusually, my wife (who doesn't do walking) decided to be my companion today. We parked the car where they are going to build the new Tourist Police Station, and walk down the hill to the signpost and start of the trail.
the signpost and start of the trail
the signpost and start of the trail
start of the trail
start of the trail
Well, after the first few yards of concrete walkway, it became a natural trail. There were often forks in the path, and the height of trees was not suitable for somebody over 6'5" tall. It was dry this morning, with quite a blanket of dead leaves on the floor. The blanket of leaves was quite even, but this was an illusion. The narrow footpaths were far from even. There were places where the footpath was at quite an angle, and the dried leaves made walking quite slippery. There were also quite a few rocks to climb over.
height of trees was not suitable for somebody over 6'5" tall
height of trees was not suitable for somebody over 6'5" tall
The blanket of leaves was quite even
The blanket of leaves was quite even
quite a few rocks to climb over
quite a few rocks to climb over
We had to make a decision at several forks regarding which direction to take. Each time we chose what looked to be the most likely path, but didn't really know if we were making the correct choices. We battled our way through until there was no more path to walk. Through the trees, there was a bit of a view of the town and coastline looking North. I took a photo, but unfortunately the pathetic little camera that I use decided to focus on the trees, rather than the distance view.
little camera that I use decided to focus on the trees, rather than the distance view
little camera that I use decided to focus on the trees, rather than the distance view
If this was the viewpoint, it wasn't a very good one, and the other viewpoints were much better. However, I'm sure there will be some experienced explorer who found the proper Viewpoint 1, who will tell me what I missed.

The route we took, while it was potentially dangerous, couldn't have been too bad because my wife who walks with a stick managed it. However, had it been raining, I think this route could be quite dangerous, with significant drops in places.

Quite a pleasant early morning stroll.

Points 48; Position 20
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Big Boy wrote: I think all roadsigns (blue or white) around the town are spelt this way. I rest my case m'Lud :wink:

Seriously, I know Lev well, and his knowledge of the Thai language is excellent. However, he has fallen into the trap that I raised in the thread before I went to Krabi. Why do Thais put in a letter R where its not needed when writing a Thai word in English?
I think it's a different issue. The 'R' in Krabi is one of those that some people do and some don't pronounce (and some pronounce very softly), like the 'R' in Krab.

This looks like a typical case of Thinglish mistranslation - Fai translates to "Fire" in English (as well as electricity, lightbulb and all manner of other related things!).

Indeed in Krabi the 'r' sound is in the spelling: กะบี่
In Fai, on the sign, it's not: ไฟ
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Lev wrote: 'Hin Lek Fai', which means flint-stone.
Doesn't the portmanteau (I think that's the term for combined words :? ) hin-lek-fai mean flint, therefore literally translated as something like firestone, which would be quite logical?
This is the way
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

hinlekfire means flint. Literally Hin(stone), Lek(metal/steel), Fire(Fire).

The signpost "Khao Hin Lek Fire Viewpoint" is a bit odd because "Viewpoint" is a proper translation but "Khao Hin Lek Fire" is a transcription (of sounds).

When Thai's say "ไฟ", on it's own, to me it sounds like a two syllable "Fa-yee". When it's part of another word like electricity (Feye Fa) and then then it seems to be monosyllabic so I can see a transcription of "ไฟ" to "Fire" with a silent 'r'; the silent 'r' being in place of some sort of glottal stop.

I don't think the "Fire" in "Hin Lek Fire" is a translation, I think it's just a transcription that happens to appear to be the same word as the translation (to English).
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Frank Hovis wrote:I don't think the "Fire" in "Hin Lek Fire" is a translation, I think it's just a transcription that happens to appear to be the same word as the translation (to English).
Agreed. I wasn't thinking of the sign, just interested in the literal meaning of the word.

Must learn this damn language properly one day... (เมื่อหมูบิน) :laugh:
This is the way
Rshome123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rshome123 »

Looks a good place to visit for some peace and quiet... Not too many tourists there I hope?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Probably best to avoid weekends and 4pm onwards.

Points 48; Position 20
shellyball
Amateur
Amateur

Post by shellyball »

It's great for sunset, stop at the market grab some dinner and have yourself a wee picnic on the platform! You get some strange looks but no one ever stays long ;))