Railway developments in Hua Hin

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Bamboo Grove

Re: Railway developments in Hua Hin

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I agree with oakdale160. This is no charity move from China. Both countries will, however, gain from this. For Thailand, it gets a new and better railroad, boosting transportation and goods. China's regime will stay in power as long as it guarantees economical stability and rise for its citizens. There is no communist dogma keeping it in power any more. As soon as the economy starts to fail, the people will start asking more questions about the legitimacy of the party.

The domestic growth will eventually slow down and even stop in China so they have to look elsewhere. For some years China has been trying to replace the hegemony of U.S. (and Japan) in China's immediate neighbourhood. For example, it has multilateral deals with Asean in many different areas. China promises economical growth for the region, and in a way, buys hegemony. Once the economics of Asean are tied to China, it will be very easy to start making demands.

The railway through Thailand will give China access to Andaman, probably to Dawei in Burma. China has been investing heavily also in Africa and brings oil from there. It still has to go around the Malay Peninsula to take the oil to its own ports. It also has to go through the South-China Sea, where it has disputes with many countries of Asean about the islands there. If it could transport its oil from Dawei to China (China desperately needs oil, which its ever growing economy can't do without) it wouldn't have to worry about the South China Sea conflict. Once Thailand starts to get remarkable economical advantages from the railway and other deals with China, it can't refuse China's requests in fear that China will cut the economical connections.
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

I agree with you Bamboo, this is a deal about a railway but will have far reaching political, economic and social effects. I see the agreement has been signed. A dual track two line Chinese style line connecting with the line from Kumming to Vientiane. Planned start 2016.
It remains to be seem who will really be in control of the building, if it is the Chinese,and don't lets kid ourselves this is a Chinese project, they can build at amazing speeds. My guess the engineers will be Chinese and the labor local. A good source of income for many Thai workers.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

I have read in the news about all these proposed new rail links the Chinese are gonna 'help' to do here..but where are the proposed lines going to/from..?
Each report seems to mention these place names in Thailand I've never heard of..much like driving on the main roads here..they'll have a humongus overhead sign to guide you off to a little village, with a name unknown to most.
I'm sorry to be a bit of a thicko here, but can someone point out the new rail routes..?
BTW..Vientiane & Dawei I DO know of.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Have a look at the following, US. Most of them are too far to ride on your bike. :cheers:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/transpo ... ilway-deal
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Aye Nereus..my bum'd be a bit sore doin' that distance.. :(

Reminds me of the old Yorkshire cyclist who when his bum got sore 1 day he stopped at a chemist's shop & goes inside..
"Az tha' got any arse-cream?" he bluntly asked the assistant.
"Certainly sir" she replied.."we've got Magnums & Cornettos" :cheers: :cheers: :laugh: :laugh:
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

usual suspect wrote: ..much like driving on the main roads here..they'll have a humongus overhead sign to guide you off to a little village, with a name unknown to most.
:cheers:

When driving through Bangkok I often wonder why all roads seem to lead to Chaeng Wattana....
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

To usual suspect, the chinese have one objective, to connect to deep water seaports, they are not too interested in connecting major cities, they also know that manufacturing will follow the rail lines.
The plan involves a 'spur" to Bkk but it is not the main destination, on the other hand eventually the HST will connect with the Malaysian version in order to access Singapore and Penang.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Early this morning I saw two beefy looking panel trucks parked near a railway crossing near my home here in Korat. They both had Chinese number plates. There were four or five guys milling around.

My wife drove by a few hours later and said they were inspecting the tracks.

Not sure if this is an official preliminary visit or just a whacko coincidence.

Whoever they were, I'm sure they were astounded by the state of the roadbed and rails….