Ancestor Spirit Houses: 4 Legs or 6?

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Ancestor Spirit Houses: 4 Legs or 6?

Post by Ratsima »

On my recent visit I noticed that almost all of the ancestor spirit houses in Phetchaburi and Prachuap have six legs, while four legs is the norm here in Isaan.

Anyone know why the difference?
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: Ancestor Spirit Houses: 4 Legs or 6?

Post by VincentD »

Single post, for the higher spirits (think angels and the like). Four posts is for the 'jao-tee' (spirit of the land, guardian spirit). Six pillars would be more for a company premises or business; the spirit house will also be open on all sides. .
Hope that helps.
วินเชนท์
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Almost all of the spirit houses I saw for sale and at businesses and residences had six pillars. None of the spirit houses I see here in Korat have six; they all have four.

I know the difference between the single and multiple pillar spirit houses. What I want to know is why the six pillar version is so common there and the four pillar version so common here in the Northeast.

I've asked many people and have never heard a reasonable explanation for the difference. Maybe there isn't one....
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There was a good explanation on this forum - try a search.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

I found one thread. It mentions four and six pillars but doesn't explain the reason for the difference.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21925
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That's the thread I was thinking of.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18