RIP - Ian Lewins

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

RIP - Ian Lewins

Post by richard »

Ian.jpg
My very good friend Ian Lewins who I have known for 45 years passed away today here in Hua Hin. Ian was a well-respected member of both expat and Thai communities and will be sadly missed.

He moved to Thailand many moons ago and has worked in teaching, training, travel and golf holidays. His command of the Thai language enabled him to excel in customer relations. His knowledge of golf, golf management and south east Asian golf courses made him the ideal ambassador for visiting parties.
He was not only a diplomat but a gentleman who always had a way of helping people out whatever their problems.

He was a fighter too. In 2008 he suffered a series of heart attacks which through sheer determination he conquered but his battle with cancer proved too much for him despite him fighting bravely on and shrugging it off occasionally.

I first met him in the early 70’s when we both worked for the UK Automobile Association. He was one of their gurus in terms of travel. We also played a lot of golf together and he was a very good, serious minded player. It’s hardly surprising he excelled in the golf holiday business here in Thailand. We eventually went our separate ways and didn’t meet again until I came to Thailand on holiday in 1999. He met me in Bangkok and introduced me to the delights of Bangkok. He took time to introduce me to Hua Hin which had yet to awake from its sleepy fishing village image. I remember joking with him that firstly he’d taught me in a month how to be ‘streetwise’ in Thailand and secondly it was his fault that I was to go home, pack up the house and fly straight back to live here.

He is survived by his eldest son Andy who resides in the UK and his youngest son David who resides here in Hua Hin and it’s not surprising that David is a golf professional.

Those of you that know he had friends that do not use this forum please pass the news on or give them the link

As and when I receive further information I will post it here

Richard
JD
Legend
Legend

Re: RIP - IAN LEWINS

Post by JD »

R.I.P. Ian.

One of the nicest men I have ever had the pleasure to get to know. I used to see him on a daily basis as he worked next door to me. He never was quite the same after his wife passed a couple of years ago, but he fought long and hard against his own illness and was a brave man indeed. Will be sadly missed by myself and my wife together with my staff with whom he would always give the good time of day.
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

That's very sad to hear. I met Ian soon after I arrived in 1998 and can only echo the comments above. He was a true gentleman and will be sadly missed by the HH community.
Condolences to his family.
RIP Ian. I'll raise a glass for you tonight.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

sad news indeed. Totally agree with the comments above. First met Hin in the nineties when Frank was setting up what was going to be Hua Hin Golf Tours. A real gentleman who was always willing to give honest advice. I had not seen him for many years but for many he will be an enduring memory of one of the characters who really experienced Hua Hin develop from the quiet town many like me preferred to the tourist destination it has become.

May he rest in peace. My condolences to the family.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I knew Ian, not very well, but he always came across as a true gentleman.

My first recollection of Ian was at Hua Hin Forum bashes.

Following that, he often dropped/collected customers from Hua Hin Fishing Lodge when I was there. Without fail, he would always come across and pass the time of day with me. A really nice guy.

Condolences to his family, R.I.P.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Did he have a forum handle? May he rest in peace. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

prcscct wrote:Did he have a forum handle? May he rest in peace. Pete
huahinian
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

What a shame. Lovely man.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Very sad indeed

Ian would sometimes pop by the Lodge for a coffee when he was in the area as I would when near HHGT.

A genuinely nice guy who was respected by many, for his knowledge of the golf scene and his humanity.

He will surely be missed

My condolences to his family

R.I.P.Ian
buksida

Re: RIP - Ian Lewins

Post by buksida »

I've known Ian for around 14 years, during which he has been a mentor, a colleague, a golf partner, a drinking buddy, an adviser, a listener, a guide, a business associate, and above all a good friend. He would always have time for you no matter what he was doing. Having lived in Hua Hin longer than anyone else I know (last count was about 23 years I think) he was a font of knowledge on the area and Thailand in general.

He will be sorely missed, rest in peace my friend.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Pacman
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Pacman »

Very sad...

My condolences to his family. Rest In Peace.
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

Never met the man.....

My condolences to his family and those that knew him

RIP
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

I met him at the Forum 10-year bash at the Fishing Lodge just over 18 months ago. He struck me as a gentleman, in the literal sense. Someone who didn't say much but when he did, you would want to be listening. He will be missed by many and may he rest in peace.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I only met Ian once at the same time I met Richard at a mini forum meetup at Johnny Walkers for lunch and beers. That was 5 or 6 years ago and my impression of him was immediately positive. I always enjoyed his entries on the forum which understandably lessened in frequency over the last couple of years.

Very sad news. R.I.P., Ian.

To the forum moderators, I think "huahinian" should be retired and maybe there should be a special thread commemorating members like this with their retired screen names along with a single obit like the one with which Richard started this thread.

[Mod Edit] So as not to detract from messages about Ian, I have moved posts about the above suggestion here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=28069
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

I remember meeting Ian in Jungle Juice not long after dad opened, was a great help to dad in his early years here.
I saw him a few weeks ago in Lins having breakfast, said hi and asked how my dad was.. I knew he was ill but didnt realise just how ill.. I wish i had spent 10 mins having a chat.
As far as I am aware the cremation will be at the temple quite near to Black Mountain at 2pm... if anyone knows better please update.

Rip Ian.