CCTV in Hua Hin

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Big Boy

CCTV in Hua Hin

Post by Big Boy »

GLCQuantum on another thread wrote:I remember when my quaint little town in England (Fleet) installed CCTV cameras anywhere that mattered. Not a crime zone by any means... just a precaution. I've no idea why places like the center of Hua Hin and sois around it aren't fully equipped with CCTV. There's enough money floating around in Thailand that it really is a no-brainer to install a system that will help ensure the wellbeing of people enjoying themselves on a night out. Especially in hot spots.
This got me thinking, what is the CCTV situation in Hua Hin?

There is obviously coverage in places such as Market Village, funded by the management, but what about general areas?

I was waiting near Hua Hin Temple on Friday night for my bus to Prachinburi, and I noticed a camera there. So they do exist. Do they work? Who controls them? Where is the control centre? Are there enough?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Re: CCTV in Hua Hin

Post by richard »

God or Buddha help us if it get's like the UK particularly the cities. Won't be a surprise to see them in the toilets soon
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

I think most 7/11 stores have them, both internally and externally. Probably wise, as they're open late at night. The problem is that if something untoward is captured by the cameras, it's very easy to make sure that it doesn't exist. If you know the right people...

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

I think I remember reading recently in the The BBK Post that they are just starting to role-it-out (CCTV) in crime spots in Bangkok big time (especially tourist arears) but the provinces will probably be slow to follow imo.

Somewhere like HH though (and many other provincial places too), probably has a surprisingly high number of CCTV or video cameras around that have been put up by businesses or private property owners and the cops will obviously have access to them......if they can be arsed to investigate. :roll:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

The two main Rd junctions on Pekky Rd had 2 seperate systems fitted a coupla yrs back to monitor the traffic..of course that does need another action to be taken to make this system work...
...someone then needs to check/watch the screens in the MiB's huts... :idea:
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

richard wrote:God or Buddha help us if it get's like the UK particularly the cities. Won't be a surprise to see them in the toilets soon
I'd like to understand how you think a CCTV system in place is a bad thing or invades your privacy. If you're doing nothing wrong, they are just another lamppost to you. If you're having something wrong done to you... they may save your life (as long as there are competent people in the control center).

People against CCTV in operation confuse me. 'Big Brother' blah blah blah... they are there to help you. :?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I must admit, I was very surprised to see the camera on Friday night, but unless you're a hardened criminal, I don't suppose you go looking for them. Personally, I was just bored waiting for a bus :D .

The question about whether any cameras work is genuine. There used to be a sensitive government office in the UK with many cameras. Not one was ever activated while I worked there. I found myself staring into the camera at the temple, wondering if anybody was staring back.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

usual suspect wrote: ...someone then needs to check/watch the screens in the MiB's huts... :idea:
I'm probably doing my brother a dis-service, but he's been a lazy git most of his life :oops: . One of his 'non'-jobs was monitoring CCTV in Bath. He had no training, and didn't really know what to do if he spotted something.

So if the UK is that lax, I wonder what happens with monitoring of cameras here.

Points 48; Position 20
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Most banks, malls and western shops have it. But how often does a serious incident happen at any of these places? (Apart from when one forgets to take his iPad with him - now that is serious).

There needs to be cameras in the places that matter. I doubt it will happen any time soon though. As you all know, unless you are immediate family in this country, you mean nothing to people. The natives respect their family only. Everyone else can go and screw themselves.

To conclude, no one here gives a monkeys about anyone else's wellbeing. Hence, the budget needed for proper security is not considered.

They're a cold people.

:shock:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Is that not rather negative?

We know corporate organisations have them. I spotted one the other day. US has told us of 2 more. CCTV saved your iPad.

Why are you so sure they aren't already out there, but haven't been noticed? Personally, I think you raised an interesting question in your original post.

Points 48; Position 20
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Big Boy wrote:Is that not rather negative?

We know corporate organisations have them. I spotted one the other day. US has told us of 2 more. CCTV saved your iPad.

Why are you so sure they aren't already out there, but haven't been noticed? Personally, I think you raised an interesting question in your original post.
I know that they're not there due to serious incidents being reported daily with no CCTV.

Yes, it was a rather negative post but I don't know how I can sugarcoat it any way. Sometimes the truth is simply the truth.

Yes, CCTV saved my iPad at a bank. One of the places I mentioned that does have CCTV. How many murders have you seen reported at a bank in the last decade in Thailand? Same question for shopping malls. The cameras aren't in the right places.

:cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

GLCQuantum wrote:I know that they're not there due to serious incidents being reported daily with no CCTV.
Is that fact, or is it that victims don't have a CCTV mindset, and it's too much trouble for BIB to wade through hours of video tape?

I must admit, if I'd left something somewhere as you did, CCTV would have been the last thing on my mind.

During the recent Koh Tao incident, didn't CCTV help identify several suspects? News on the associated crime that initiated your question is very vague. Are you sure somebody isn't wading through CCTV tape in an office in Hua Hin? I'm not.

Points 48; Position 20
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

You're right, to be fair - I don't know.

I will happily stand corrected when the time comes.

:cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Next time I'm in town, I'll keep my eyes open for CCTV :wink:

Points 48; Position 20
huahinjim
Professional
Professional

Post by huahinjim »

There are several in Soi 80 looking up/ down the Soi. And yes they are monitored as one or two bar staff have said police soon on the scene when they've spotted trouble.