200 Baht Admission to Sam Phan Nam Floating Market

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Re: 200 Baht Admission to Sam Phan Nam Floating Market

Post by joelle »

:agree: :banghead:
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

I come from a tourist area in australia,where the locals get a discount with proof of i.d., the thinking is locals will come many times and tourists only once.
Its all in the wording of the advertising...instead of saying foreigner x amount which isolates people...it should read entrance fee x amount...and then 50% discount or what ever to locals on proof of i.d..........the camel republic does give a discount on proof of local drivers license as do many attractions around town,i almost always pay the same as my thai partner
just to add to this its easier to say price for foreigner(which we find offensive)because a thai is easily recognizable as a local,where in my country we are multi national,so not easy to identify a local by colour of skin.They forget in many instances some of us do live here fulltime,
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

jingjoe,

In my case, I was the resident being asked to pay the admission. With the exception of Mrs BB, the Thais in my party were from the UK (tourists). It was discrimination based on my appearance.

In the UK also (Bath) residents get a discount, but have to produce ID and evidence of where they live. It is not determined by skin colour.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

So, once again we have established that the Thais have double standards and that they do discriminate against foreigners.
"Farangs have more money, they can pay more" as they say.
A friend is only one click away
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

But the point of having to pay to shop is ludicrous
Imagin having to pay before you go in marks & spencer or harrods or selfridges or any other places no matter how pretty they are! !!
Absolutely ridiculous
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

Big Boy wrote:jingjoe,

In my case, I was the resident being asked to pay the admission. With the exception of Mrs BB, the Thais in my party were from the UK (tourists). It was discrimination based on my appearance.

In the UK also (Bath) residents get a discount, but have to produce ID and evidence of where they live. It is not determined by skin colour.
its based on your appearance because you are non thai..therefore in their eyes you are a tourist,they dont think some of us live here fulltime.So when they advertise higher prices its for tourists in general...like i said in my reply,at home in oz same as in uk(bath) they cant tell who are local is purely on skin colour..in thailand its obvious thai looking people are usually locals white looking people are usually tourists.

...surely nobody goes to samphan floating markets to shop..its a tourist centre..people buy trinkets and the like the same as you do at any tourist attraction,thats why they think the admission fee is justified
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

jingjoe wrote:..in thailand its obvious thai looking people are usually locals white looking people are usually tourists.
Not necessarily. When we went to Kuiburi recently, we had a Filipino in our party (resident in Hua Hin). We just told her not to speak to obtain the Thai price.

Points 41; Position 18
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

Big Boy wrote:
jingjoe wrote:..in thailand its obvious thai looking people are usually locals white looking people are usually tourists.
Not necessarily. When we went to Kuiburi recently, we had a Filipino in our party (resident in Hua Hin). We just told her not to speak to obtain the Thai price.
"
the word "usually" means sometimes but not always :o
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

richard wrote:
brianks wrote:Would you pay to go shopping at Market Village? That was my first thought. How stupid can the owners be? Turn away customers who might purchase something and keep those shop keepers happy and in business.
Unless it's an emergency, MV would have to pay me to go into their concrete jungle. I was invited today by a couple of friends to go for a beer while their respective ladies went foresting about for pressies. Took one look at the heaving masses pouring into the place and promptly told my driver "move on James". Reminds me of when Milton Keynes was built and for my sins I had to visit a client who's office was in the centre.

The saving grace for MV is that it hasn't got (yet) any concrete cows in plastic fields. :idea: Why not float MV as in a floating market and then when fully packed to the seams, pull the plug out

:rant: Guess you've gathered I hate large, false and overpriced shopping malls :oops:
Worst of all Richard the Chang bar was closed!! So we ended up back on 80..... Who closes on the busiest shopping day of the year! TIT(s)
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

joelle wrote:But the point of having to pay to shop is ludicrous
This, for me, is the point. I know a lot of people like to get upset about double-pricing, even to the point of protest, but it's futile. When I'm faced with an entrance fee, I simply judge whether I think said venue is worth the fee being charged to me, regardless of what other people are being charged. If I think it's worth paying, then I go in.

I can't think anybody could justify paying 200bt to go to any of the HH Floating Markets, especially when the other's (as far as I'm aware?) don't charge.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Pleng wrote:the other's (as far as I'm aware?) don't charge.
The Floating Market next door has closed, and the one at the big Buddha has never really taken off.

Points 41; Position 18
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Only been there once when admission was still free, and to be honest, I thought it was totally crap.

Had a beer while the women strolled around, followed by an argument with a snotty nosed Bangkok snob that decided to sit next to me and complain to her snotty nose boyfriend about me smoking, despite the fact that all the other tables were vacant. This of course prompted me to chain smoke while I slowly sipped on another expensive beer until the ladies were ready to leave.

Certainly wouldn't go back again, even without the new admission fee. And, for those who have tried to justify the fee on the basis of the place being a tourist attraction..........it IS NOT an attraction, it's a market, and not even a good one at that.

Only been to Venezia once as well. Saw nothing but clothes shops so have never returned and now never will. Personally, I find Makro and many Mom & Pop shops far more interesting.

Also, saying that the same sort of nonsense happens in other countries is irrelevant in my opinion, and it most certainly doesn't happen in my country. I also never once came across this during my 10 years in Scotland either.

Lastly, locals are not (at least in Thailand) more likely to return to these attractions than what foreigners are. My own extended family already avoid these places like the plague, after have visited each of them only once.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

europtimiste wrote:MY MIDDLE FINGER.
:agree:

[Mod edit: blatant racism is not tolerated on this forum.]
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

I will not be stopping at that tourist trap. Thank BB for the warning.
I would rather go to Terrys and catch a fish, and enjoy my day, Thank you very
much.
Happy New Year to all!
Only a few more days left of 2014 then Good Riddance.
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

I turned round on my heals telling them " No bloody way, I live here".... They chased after me and said if you have Thai driving licence it's free!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!