Getting caught up with Hua Hin, I've been gone a few years

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Getting caught up with Hua Hin, I've been gone a few years

Post by Homer »

Nereus wrote:
Makro was pretty much reserved for my infrequent visits to invadeIT which is right across the street.
They have moved to Soi 6. The last time that I went there they were just not interested in walk-in customers.
The owner works in Bangkok most of the week, and the rest of them do not have a clue!
That's because they're not a retail shop. I order online, pay via ATM, then after I'm notified the order is ready, pick up at Soi 6 (because it's easier than having it shipped). Their service has always been excellent.
wpcoe
Professional
Professional

Post by wpcoe »

Homer wrote:
Nereus wrote:They have moved to Soi 6. The last time that I went there they were just not interested in walk-in customers.
The owner works in Bangkok most of the week, and the rest of them do not have a clue!
That's because they're not a retail shop. I order online, pay via ATM, then after I'm notified the order is ready, pick up at Soi 6 (because it's easier than having it shipped). Their service has always been excellent.
That was what I did, as well. I would submit any questions I had via e-mail and Thomas would always reply. So, even if they've moved, and even if Thomas won't be in the shop, I guess it doesn't change how I'd use InvadeIT.

Where on Soi 6 are they? Close to Petchkasem Rd, I hope?

Just realized how close Makro is to Soi 6, so I can still combine those two on a single outing.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

dtaai-maai wrote:
Nereus wrote:
Makro was pretty much reserved for my infrequent visits to invadeIT which is right across the street.
They have moved to Soi 6. The last time that I went there they were just not interested in walk-in customers.
We go there a couple of times a week and have never had a problem. Quite the contrary in fact.

[EDIT: And they have some deliciously sweet big oranges at a very reasonable price!]
Ahh Amazing Thailand.... the only country in which you go to a computer shop to buy oranges! :)
hhinner wrote: Is the underground car park open again, does anyone know?
Yes
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Pleng wrote:
dtaai-maai wrote:
Nereus wrote: They have moved to Soi 6. The last time that I went there they were just not interested in walk-in customers.
We go there a couple of times a week and have never had a problem. Quite the contrary in fact.

[EDIT: And they have some deliciously sweet big oranges at a very reasonable price!]
Ahh Amazing Thailand.... the only country in which you go to a computer shop to buy oranges! :)
Ooops, did I not read that carefully enough? I thought we were talking about Makro...
The oranges ARE good though!
And while you can't buy oranges at invadeIT, you can probably buy Apples.
This is the way
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Ahh an Apple joke. I knew somebody would byte :cheers:
wpcoe
Professional
Professional

Re: Getting caught up, I've been gone a few years

Post by wpcoe »

STEVE G wrote:
Big Boy wrote: I obviously lied :D

Driving back from Makro just now. I stopped at the Tessebahn lights, right outside. There are 4 large signs outside saying, "Now Open."

The place was absolutely deserted (it's open fronted, so you can see most of it from the road), and I couldn't see a single retail outlet that had been taken up.
That mall has to be one of the most disastrous bits of property developments in the area, Collonade was always deserted and now no one is interested in a Chinese market there either, it was more useful when it was a load of open air restaurants.
While it's "open" (as in "not enclosed"), whether it could be considered open for business is marginal. I wandered in and it's considerably more of a ghost town than before, quite a feat in itself. Only a cluster of coffee shops and a drug store (and maybe a massage place ... was not open this afternoon, not sure if it's ever open?) to be found it the back corner. All the escalators to/from the 2nd floor are taped off.

I had forgotten KFC used to be in Colonnade. Any idea where it might be now? Or, is there only the one in Market Village now?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

wpcoe wrote:I had forgotten KFC used to be in Colonnade. Any idea where it might be now? Or, is there only the one in Market Village now?
Big C and the service station near Soi 6.

Back on topic:
hhinner wrote:Is the underground car park open again, does anyone know?
I've not tried it, but it looks open, and the charge seems to have been dropped for now.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
wpcoe
Professional
Professional

Post by wpcoe »

Big Boy wrote:
hhinner wrote:Is the underground car park open again, does anyone know?
I've not tried it, but it looks open, and the charge seems to have been dropped for now.
Yes, it is wide open. On Friday, I walked down the entrance ramp on Soi 76 and out the other side on Soi 74/2. No gates, ticket dispensers, toll booths, nothing. A small part of the garage is cordoned off for storing construction materials, but the rest seems to be open to any and all.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

HH is not yet become Pattyaised or Phuketised, but get here quickly while that is still true
Tyrell
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tyrell »

Hi there,

Wonder if anybody can help me, moved to Hua Hin and want to buy a "teapot" any suggestions ?
Tried three places already but no go, probably not explaining myself very clearly but partner is Thai and she hasn't had any luck either

Thanks in advance.

Tyrell
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

Tyrell wrote:Wonder if anybody can help me, moved to Hua Hin and want to buy a "teapot" any suggestions ?
Wild guess - Index.

Try to find a good picture, by Google for example, and show the picture with your phone in the store. After all, "A picture is worth a thousand words".
Tyrell
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tyrell »

Many thanks for that, good idea.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I'm going back about 4 years but there used to be a stall outside Homepro on the 2nd floor at MV that sold a wide range of Whittard Teapots, not sure if it's still there but worth a look.
eatuae

Post by eatuae »

I bought one at Makro just before Christmas 2 sizes glass and stainless steel with integral strainer
Excellent purchase