Hua Hin Tuk Tuk minimum prices

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Hua Hin Tuk Tuk minimum prices

Post by Bristolian »

bsdk1960 wrote:
Nothappyjan wrote:Couldn't agree more, you are spot on with your summation. The young aggressive males fit into the category where they have a take it or leave it attitude, especially at MV where they can scam an unsuspecting Scandie tourist to pay whatever.
If this price manipulation is allowed to continue then HH becomes akin to Phuket where Tuk Tuk prices are sky high.
Maybe us Scandis just have more money to throw around, than you poor lads :wink:

:cheers: :cheers:
Sounds reasonable :D. Throw some in the direction of soi 6 and shout four. I'll see if I can catch :cheers:
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

SydneyGuy wrote:are there really that many cheap charlies living in Hua Hin, FFS try and pay for a taxi back home and then start complaining:) In Sydney and Melbourne if the taxi drivers suspect its your first time in the city, they will take the longest route to get you to your final destination. Thats some ***** up shit right there!!
I could not agree more. 200 baht for a 6 seater, 4 wheeler, Tuk tuk from soi 6 backwater to centre of town is not expensive. If we have more than 6 people they send a larger songteow (sp) for the same price. How is this a rip off?? I really fail to see.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

It's apparently a rip off because it's more expensive than a metered taxi in a city that's located 200Km away.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, it is a rip off because the fares are way in excess of what they are advertised as.

I challenge you to walk into your local bar tonight where the advertised price of a drink is 60 Baht (advertised price from Market Village to my house), and when they ask you for 150 Baht for that 60 Baht drink, not to feel ripped off.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Pleng wrote:It's apparently a rip off because it's more expensive than a metered taxi in a city that's located 200Km away.
:agree: I can not see any other logic

Please try getting a tuk tuk, for any journey in Bankok, for less that a metered taxi. Hell will freeze over first.
As, BB has said, and I can not argue, you have the choice to walk away, or simply walk, over a £4 ride! (6 people, say 5km). Less than 7 Baht per km per person :D
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

buksida wrote:As previously said HH now has a very good Songtaew system and moto-taxis are still cheap so why anyone would use a Tuk Tuk is beyond me.
Maybe because not even in Thailand will a moto-taxi be able to bring home my weekly grocery/water/beer/other shopping... :wink:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think many are missing the point. I don't care about the cash, it's the principal. I have a choice whether or not to accept the fare.

What I don't like is seeing a notice displaying the fare to my house as 60 Baht. When asked, many Tuk Tuk drivers will ask 250% of what they should be asking. I don't even flinch at a 40 Baht mark up.

If I get to the checkout in Tesco with a 91 Baht bottle of milk, am I a cheap charlie if I refuse to pay 228 Baht for that bottle of milk? In my world, I am not - sorry if my world is that much different to many of you.

I wonder how many of you are actually aware that Tuk Tuk fares are displayed in various places around town.

Points 41; Position 18
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Nope. I've never seen them advertised :?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

They are there. If I'm passing one of the signs on foot (doesn't happen often these days) I will take a photo and post it.

Points 41; Position 18
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

Big Boy wrote:I wonder how many of you are actually aware that Tuk Tuk fares are displayed in various places around town.
No I never noticed that. Can you give some example of where these signs can be found.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There has always been one at the front of Market Village (hopes its still there :D )

Points 41; Position 18
Nothappyjan

Post by Nothappyjan »

There are signs right out the front of our Condo saying what the fares are. 100 bht to MV
Most of you guys don't get it unfortunately, you don't seem to mind being ripped off.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

^ 555

And when the driver tells you to FO, shakes his head and tells you that he is not going any where for that posted 100 Bt ?? What say you then ?? Do you stamp your foot and use harsh language ??
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Big Boy wrote:There has always been one at the front of Market Village (hopes its still there :D )
BB, if you have the chance, please check price for MV to inland on soi 6 by 3km. I would be genuinely interested to compare with what I currently pay. The result, will not change what I pay because of the excellent service I receive .... but nice to know. :cheers:
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Big Boy wrote:There has always been one at the front of Market Village (hopes its still there :D )
BB, if you have the chance, please check price for MV to inland on soi 6 by 3km. I would be genuinely interested to compare with what I currently pay. The result, will not change what I pay because of the excellent service I receive .... but nice to know. :cheers: