Black Mountain Area - Shopping Mall?

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Black Mountain Area - Shopping Mall?

Post by Frank La Rue »

My wife and I have warmed to the Black Moutain area after our visit last year discovering that an International School is being built, there are several very good Moo Baans (Red Moutain, Orchard Palm Homes, etc) there are several good restaunrants in Moo Baans (Palm Bistro, The Bubble at Baan Ing Phu and the restaurant at Black Mountain Golf Course)

However - what I feel is lacking is a good shopping Mall the likes of Tesco Lotus or Big C.

I seem to have read or heard over the last 2 years that something is planned but could not see any sign of it during our visit.

Can any of you residenctial expats confirm the status on this?
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Re: Black Mountain Area - Shopping Mall?

Post by Frank La Rue »

No one has info on this? BigBoy for a start - you seem to be well informed about the goings - on in HH?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I live not so far from there and I can't think why you would want a shopping mall but you can get out to the bypass and drive to Makro or Tesco in Pranburi very easily if that's what you require.
gerryha

Post by gerryha »

I also live nearby. Enough malls in HH aready struggle and the population up there would not support. As stated earlier Tesco Pranbury is easy to get to and big C only takes 10 mins via the animal temple
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Frank La Rue wrote:BigBoy for a start - you seem to be well informed about the goings - on in HH?
I know very little about that area. We had some friends move out that way 3 years ago ago, and the developer told them it was the 'happening' area. Amongst other things, he said there was a Tesco coming - turned out to be a 24hr mini Tesco on the Pala-U Road.

I've been visiting that area regularly for a few years now, and can't disagree that quite a few businesses have opened up in that area, but nothing major.

I'll be honest, if I ever moved to that area, it wouldn't be for the shopping. It's a very peaceful area (from my observation) and somebody plonking a superstore out there would spoil the character. You have plenty of convenience stores, and a trip into town doesn't seem too far away.

Our friend's biggest problem since moving to that area has been water - for 3 years now, they've been getting told city water is only 6 weeks away :?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

black mountain area around the golf club is going to have a lifestyle over 50s village built there with different levels of care in the next year.
The owner of black mountain golf club wants to turn the area into a satellite city of hua hin with a restaurant strip,and a major grocery store.
This will compliment the already successful international school that as over 100 students already.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

jingjoe wrote:black mountain area around the golf club is going to have a lifestyle over 50s village built there with different levels of care in the next year.
The owner of black mountain golf club wants to turn the area into a satellite city of hua hin with a restaurant strip,and a major grocery store.This will compliment the already successful international school that as over 100 students already.
I know I wrote "Shopping Mall" - the above in red I think is more what I am looking for, Grocery Store is enough.

And I agree with other posters that the area is peacefully beautiful as is.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

If you just need groceries, it's no problem already, you can go to Mon mai on the Pulau-u road where there is a small Tesco, 7-11,Family mart, CJ and Hin Lek Fai supermarket to choose from as well as two Thai markets in the area. Hin Lek Fai supermarket is also part of a major beverage wholesaler for pretty much all the drinks you might need.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

STEVE G wrote:If you just need groceries, it's no problem already, you can go to Mon mai on the Pulau-u road where there is a small Tesco, 7-11,Family mart, CJ and Hin Lek Fai supermarket to choose from as well as two Thai markets in the area. Hin Lek Fai supermarket is also part of a major beverage wholesaler for pretty much all the drinks you might need.

Thanks, I will check it out.

In the village of Tha Maka in Kanchanaburi province where my wife's family comes from there is a small - medium size Tesco, probable 200 m2 and I find it absolutely perfect.
They have almost every thing a Farang may want with the exeption of speciality products from my home country, I can walk allong the isles without having to call my wife on the mobile to find her elsewhere in the shop and the family does not go astreigh buying all sorts of things we originally did not go to buy.

I also take onboard (I did not think of this one) that you can drive 10 minutes allong the highway down to Pranburi.

What I had in the back of my mind was really avoiding the crowded driving in HH town centre and avoid going to Market Village - that's the Tesco I know of. I like browsing at MV from time to time but its a hazzle to go there regularly for groseries.
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

Frank La Rue wrote:What I had in the back of my mind was really avoiding the crowded driving in HH town centre and avoid going to Market Village - that's the Tesco I know of.
There is a medium sized Tesco like the one you describe opposite soi 114. Unfortunately i guess the location is not what you want.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

There's also Makro adjacent to Soi 6 - no need to go anywhere near the town centre
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

Terry wrote:There's also Makro adjacent to Soi 6
And that's a large store. I can also add that both Makro and Tesco at Soi 114 have plenty of convenient parking right outside the entrance.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Interesting coincidences, as Soi 6 an Soi 112/ 114 are 2 other locations we like. Botjh outside central HH but not far.
My hinch is that the Black MOintain area will continue to grow though, simply because of its scenic beauty.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

^^
All of which will be ruined by overdevelopment
ChockDee

Post by ChockDee »

Things on the BM side have grown VERY slowly over the last 8 years, compared to the rest of HH. I do wonder when it's all going to kick off on that side. ATM not many people seems to want to live out that way for some reason.