Hua Hin Supermarkets

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Hua Hin Supermarkets

Post by Nereus »

… think that was when Makro was still a Farang entity. Makro in Thailand is now Makro Thailand and it's owned by the CP group who are not likely to turn customers away regardless if they are business owners or not.
Actually young fellow, it is called Siam Macro and it is a Public Company. CP are certainty the major share holders, but the Dutch are second in line.

quote wiki: Thailand
Siam Makro Public Company Limited was established in 1988. At the end of 2014 there were 77 Makro stores and five Siam Frozen Food stores in operation, serving a registered customer base of 2.6 million. Revenues for 2015 were 156 billion baht with a net profit of 5.4 billion baht. Siam Makro shares are traded on the Stock Exchange of Thailand.

It is also interesting to note that Thailand is one of only three operations around the World that allow non business customers. (Belgium and Brazil being the other two) :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I wouldn't rely too much on Wiki mate. As in Thailand, anyone can shop at Makro in South Africa, both in-store and online.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Thistle wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:14 pm I think the comment about showing your passport was based upon initial registration,,,,,,,,,,,and not something you have to do when enter Makro after you are issued your little red card.
Correct, and it seems that different Makros are less or more strict. I also was issued a bit of paper with the card number on when my wife was out of the country and didn't leave me the card.
BarryAmilm
Rookie
Rookie

Hua Hin Supermarkets

Post by BarryAmilm »

Deleted. Totally off topic.

This is a warning to stop the nonsense with your posting. There won’t be a second warning.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:21 pm Yes, Tesco Lotus is a particularly savage place to shop, but I believe Big C is catching up fast.
BigC HH is too small, Pherchaburi better, but not as good as Bangkok.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I was in the old shopping mall supermarket (Wanna Pranee Supermarket) the other day and asked when they will move to the new premises on the Huey Mongkol Rd near Soi 11. I was told they will move in December and the old shopping mall supermarket will close down.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

That will leave the 'Shopping Mall' as a large white elephant.

Bring back 'Satakorn Square'. Everyone was a winner in those days.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Hasn't it been a large white elephant for years? Lack of decent parking has kept me away for at least 5 years. Silly thing is, I used to like the little supermarket, but trying to park and access with a wheelchair made it totally impractical.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It’s certainly gone down hill from what it was - I can remember it being I hive of activity 15-20 years ago, but now it’s a bit of a sorry state - maybe a new venue will help?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think car parking will be key to it's success. Even though I dislike MV and Bluport, I use them because I can park. Motorcyclists won't be bothered, but more and more Thais are switching to 4 wheels.

When I moved here 11 years ago, I was a regular in the centre of Hua Hin. I don't think I've bothered stopping there, apart from traffic lights for 5 years.

Points 41; Position 18
GeorgieGirl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by GeorgieGirl »

Most of the above plus Tops do free home delivery if you spend approximately 8000 baht.

Villa does delivery but charges approximately 100 baht regardless of your spend.

Don’t know about Gourmet Market

Tops who use each week are efficient, come within the designated time slot. On one occasion a frozen pizza we had ordered had defrosted by the time of delivery. Tops replaced it the next day
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

What do they charge for less than 8,000฿?

Points 41; Position 18
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Satukarn Square was basically the only place that had a supermarket when I moved to HH in 2002. The square itself was a nice area to sit and have a beer.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Big Boy wrote:Hasn't it been a large white elephant for years? Lack of decent parking has kept me away for at least 5 years. Silly thing is, I used to like the little supermarket, but trying to park and access with a wheelchair made it totally impractical.
Rarely see the car park full since they stopped casual parking a few years ago. And there's a ramp for shopping carts which should be wide enough for a wheelchair. Maybe a bit steep though.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Remember it well in the late 90s. It was Hua Hin's only "mall" and the adjacent square had a little night market and a few beer stalls back in the day.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson