HHDRC facing closure. We need immediate help!

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Africa's solution to the problem Dawn

Grim

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6419041.stm
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
jackie

Post by jackie »

That 's sick..Thank God I have just turned veggie
I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Just checked in & a lot has gone on in my absence today. :shock: Thanks to everyone for their interest & comments. It's been a really long & tiring day today, so, I apologise, but I'll answer tomorrow. Thanks for pm, also Jockey; will answer tomorrow.

Special thanks to Steve G who turned up with his partner at the center today with 150kg of rice. :thumb: Absolutely great & it was nice for the dogs & I to have a visitor. Cheers, Steve & Mrs. Steve. :cheers:
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

I've just typed a 45 min reply, addressing everyone's points & lost it all trying to add a bloomin' smiley!!! Stupid laptop with its stupid oversensitive mouse!!! :cuss:

Got to get to the center. Will try again later, and also answer the pm's then. Thanks everyone.
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Dawn, it was a pleasure to see you and the dogs yesterday, and I we will try to get a regular supply of rice going.
If anyone has any doubts about HHDRC, I can assure you there are definitely over a hundred dogs there being looked after by Dawn and her staff member.
If anyone needs a dog in Thailand, there are some recovered dogs in beautiful condition that require homes and you should really go up there and have a look, these dogs would make excellent pets.
The same for anyone that can help in anyway, go up and take a look at what Dawn is doing.
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Thanks Steve. :D

I will attempt to rewrite my intended essay later, probably this evening, but something happened about an hour ago, which might address some points made by some of the posters yesterday.

I was walking down the road just past the tessadban dog center, after leaving ours and I heard a vehicle behind me & a thud. I knew immediately a dog had been hit. The driver carried on, dragging the dog with him. She managed to get away from his front wheel, only to get caught under the pick up again & dragged for another 20 metres or so by the back wheel. At no time did the driver slow down (no brake lights - all but the very first part happened in front of me, as the pick-up passed me ver quickly). I am aware the dog must have been in the road & perhaps it was unavoidable, but the truck was going at a considerable speed & made no effort whatsoever to slow or stop. Anyway, I digress.

The dog managed to run out of harms way eventually & ran to the other side of the road where it ran a little more & collapsed. My first instinct was to run over to her, muzzle her & get her to the vet. I did that, phoning the vet ahead to warn him &, for 20 mins, the vet & his wife (also a vet) tried to save her, injecting her with several substances (I assume adrenaline was among them), putting her on an IV and inserting an airway & using an ambubag. She died, anyway.

At no time during that incident did I consider whether we had the money to pay for her treatment. At no time did I consider leaving her on the side of the road to die. At no point did I debate whether (if she lived) she would be a long term drain on our finances. All I wanted to do was to help her.

Whether this makes me a stupid person or not, it's who I am. I couldn't walk away from that dog any more than I could have walked away from a human that had been hit by a car. It's my nature & I can't change it, anymore than the driver of the pickup can change his nature to give a d@mn about the dog he had hit.

I have no idea how much trying to save that dog will have cost us. It certainly would have been cheaper to leave her & the outcome would have been the same. I'm sure that confirms many people's view of me - that I'm too sentimental & not practical. All I know is that I have to live with myself. I can live with the fact I tried my best & she died anyway. I couldn't live with myself if I'd walked away without trying.

jackie

Post by jackie »

Dawn that has just brought a lump to my throat. I hope that everyone who reads this understands that more is needed to be done to help.

I can understand that you would do everything in your power to help the dog and not think about now it was going to be paid.

:cry:
I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

There are many sad bad things in this world. Charities deserve voices and Dawn is a great voice for the dogs of Hua Hin. Dogs dying by being run over is gruesome. Its happening more often because the roads are becoming more busy. We need a neutering program IMO to avoid so many horrible stories like the one Dawn has told. Keep up the good work Dawn - don't let these things get you down, your work is appreciated.
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Right, going to attempt to answer the comments made a couple of days ago (again!)

Firstly, can I just say that nobody that has put their point of view forward on this thread has hurt my feelings or offended me. I firmly believe that most of the comments that some members have taken umbrage at were made in an effort to get information, in an effort to help (in the way that those members thought most sensible or practical), in an effort to help me personally, or because of a member's opinion, based on personal experience. I truly think that no-one who has posted here so far has wanted to upset me or get at me.

I have answered Jockey's point (previous, not above) in a pm, as it isn't something I can talk about publicly. But I'll try & answer the others now:

Dougal I think you could be right & some sort of business plan or assessment could be the way to go. I will fully admit that I have never done a business course & maybe (probably!) need some pointers in that direction. If some compromise could be reached between running HHDRC purely as a business & not doing what we are here for on the one hand, and running from crisis to crisis on the other hand, could be reached, I'd be very interested in that. Just need to find someone to do the study for me. Maybe a student could do it as a course study or something?

Ozuncle I'm working on the credit card payment thing. there's a company that our webmaster recommended that I'm trying to sort out.

OK, the leaving dogs & not taking them in if we can't afford it, I think I addressed in my post yesterday. As for putting the 'non viable' dogs down, I understand your point, but, while we do put dogs to sleep if there is no hope for them, we don't do it for convenience sake. You mentioned the paraplegic dogs as an example. Actually, they don't cost any more than the others. They are more work, but as they are at my home, the work falls to me alone. They don't get sick any more often than the others & they (initially) are cheaper as there is no initial treatment (no ops, no x-rays, no medicine to speak of, as there is no treatment for their problem). Yes, they are permanent residents, but unfortunately, due to the lack of adopters, so are many of the completely recovered dogs. The dog with dementia used to have his meds paid for by the farang woman who brought him to us. She no longer pays for it. I can't put him to sleep, just because a farang has reneged on her promise to us & her responsibility to him.
I think you're right about asking people who bring dogs in for donations. It's not something I'm good at; I'm such a wuss! :roll:

Richard I read the Africa link, but it's also happening a lot closer to home isn't it? Just not for money. Plastic buckets you get in exchange for a dog in Isaan villages, isn't it? I think eating dog is very widespread in Asia (Phillippines, Korea, Vietnam, China etc), sadly.

Thanks to everyone for all of your comments & help. :cheers:

richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Dawn

No offense meant

Lived in Africa for 5 years so know there form

Nobody or anything counts for nothing. Shame but reality at the end of the day

Floyd plug in with the lost souls bit please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Post by ozuncle »

Dawn,
Thanks for taking the time to address my comments.
The dogs of Hua Hin are the luckyest in Thailand to have someone caring for them.
I hope the Credit Card thing gets sorted out quickly as I am sure it will help you immediately and in the future. From the limited research I have done you may have to start a Company and open a bank account in that name.
You only live once.
BEARHUG
Banned
Banned

Post by BEARHUG »

Well I have been wandering around Hua Hin now for some month's and my observation's are as follow's;

I have not seen one collection "Tin" in a business/commercial outlet.

Dog Show in Hua Hin? Obvious Event

Sponsored events? Walks, Stall's at event's, not seen any.

I have read something about the rescue centre in the Observer and this HHAD but that's it.

Hope this is of some value.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Hi Dawn,

Did you get my PM?
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

BEARHUG wrote:
What value Bearhug?

You know it, I know it, they do indeed need cash!!!
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

BEARHUG wrote:Well I have been wandering around Hua Hin now for some month's and my observation's are as follow's;

I have not seen one collection "Tin" in a business/commercial outlet.

Dog Show in Hua Hin? Obvious Event

Sponsored events? Walks, Stall's at event's, not seen any.

I have read something about the rescue centre in the Observer and this HHAD but that's it.

You didn't look very hard at the dog show Bearhug, we were there along with about 15 pups & dogs. Right by the rotty enclosure. We do do walks & events, but they can be a bit difficult to organise with just me & one volunteer. Collection boxes are in a few outlets, but, as I've said before in this thread, they aren't a great source of income (unless satang & foreign coins are use to anyone else here?) so I only keep the best ones out. That is Hua Hin Ham Bacon & Meat, our shop, Ken Diamonds Tours, our vets & a couple of others.

If you have any ideas about how I can increase our profile with only one volunteer & my present workload, please get in touch. I'm always open to ideas. As it is, I'm doing my best to get the word out, with varying success.

Migrant, yes I did thanks. I haven't been yet, because of the weekend & today was the first anniversary of my boyfriend's (littl'un's father's) death & I've been at the temple etc. I will go tomorrow & pm you. Thank you.