Airline ticket refunds

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Moto Guzzi Bob

Airline ticket refunds

Post by Moto Guzzi Bob »

Hi All,
Have posted this elsewhere, but probably in the wrong place to get a response.
Just thought you should know (Can't find this elsewhere).
Phuket Air suddenly pulled out of flights from Gatwick/ London.
I booked a flight in March for July. :cuss: It was cancelled (having paid £500) early April, just before those fiascos with fuel during the Easter period. :cuss:

:cuss: Needless to say I haven't had a refund yet :cuss: . :guns: The local agency have told me they cannot refund me until :guns: Phuket Air refund the UK agent which could take months.

Does this sound fair? :banghead: I've paid for goods that don't exist and yet I don't get an automatic refund as I would expect with a shop or any other organisation.

Please, :bow: can any one of you out there help/ give me advise?
:cheers:
Moto Guzzi Bob
Nah, must be more to it!
larry70dj

Post by larry70dj »

If you paid by credit card, you may get a refund from them. Sorry if this doesnt apply to you, personaly I would be totaly gutted if this happened to me.
Moto Guzzi Bob

Phuket Air

Post by Moto Guzzi Bob »

Hi Larry70dj,
I paid by card (always do for the back-up) and did know of this, but thank you very much for the response.
I will try this as the last resort, as I am hoping to make more of a fuss and think there should be more protection.
:guns: ABTA and ATOL (in UK) are bloody useless, I have several friends who have tried them for other things connected to travel/ holidays and their response seems to be always the same, i.e. It's not there responsibility :banghead: . I'd like to know what is. They won't give me a straight answer regarding what is their responsibility (apart from, I think, if a company goes bust?).
:? I'd like to know why travel agents are/ should be bonded by/ to ATOL/ABTA, when in practical terms it seems to mean nothing. Basically, they seem to have no teeth and show no sympathy/ interest in real problems (as yet, any problems I've heard off).
Maybe I should go more public to highlight these kind of problems, but How? Who? Where? over to you dear readers. Any ideas?
Moto Guzzi Bob
Nah, must be more to it!
larry70dj

Post by larry70dj »

do it quickly, I think insurance for 28 days only
Moto Guzzi Bob

Thanks

Post by Moto Guzzi Bob »

Thanks
I'll let you know
Bob
Nah, must be more to it!
PeteB
Professional
Professional

Phuket Air

Post by PeteB »

Hi MGB,
Sorry to hear of your experience, I'm just glad that we resisted the temptation. Hope all turns out OK - good advice from larry70dj.

It may be worth posting the ticket agent's name. Also get some advice from your local trading standards - it is free.

As I remember, you are from the Brighton area http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/brighton-hove/ . They should at least be able to offer advice.

Quest travel are offering deals on Thai at £379 until the end of June - they may have something for July! http://www.questtravel.com/flights-to-m ... o-bangkok/ .
They also have good rates for the Landmark in Bangkok (Highly recommended) - £53 per twin (see the web site page).

Good luck and keep us updated.

Cheers
Peter
Moto Guzzi Bob

Thanks

Post by Moto Guzzi Bob »

Hi PeteB
Nice to hear from you again!
:thumb:
Thank you for the response and advice, I'll give this a go, as well.
I have already booked a flight with Eva Air for £560 (incl. tax) - found a 'window' in their prices - most odd, but I've got the tickets and they have a good reputation, I'm told!?
I've added quest travel to my favourites for the future.
Thanks once again
MGB
Nah, must be more to it!
PeteB
Professional
Professional

Post by PeteB »

Hi MGB - Glad you've got some flights.

We tend to use EVA Evergreen D/L - so I hope you will not be disappointed.

I find that this forum http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/eva.htm is great for reviews. I note that a few people don't seem to like EVA, but we can only take as we have found. The economy seats seem to be roomy, but the IFE rather poor. Evergreen D/L 38" pitch and wider seats.

Good luck with your refund

Peter
stevenhill55
Novice
Novice

Post by stevenhill55 »

Just thought i would add my bit. We have just returned from Huahin, having booked with expedia. we got return tickets for £380 with Qatar air which included a 45 min stop in Doha. I can tell you that the service was excellent :thumb: They have mostly new planes ( airbus 330) so everything worked properly!. only one small problem, expedia gave us seats seperate from each other , but a quick call to Qatar in London sorted that out.