Schools: Hua Hin or nearby..are there any schools?

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
suzannejames
Amateur
Amateur

Schools: Hua Hin or nearby..are there any schools?

Post by suzannejames »

Moving to "somewhere" in Thailand, leaving the states July 18. Want to find a nice place for me (mom) and my two boys, 13 and 16 to live, and for them to go to school. Not a pricey, fancy school ~ but somewhere they'll have the opportunity for a reasonably good education. I can supplant most of what may not be taught as well as it ought to be.

We really do want to be on or near to the water.

I am a teacher (K-12, Special Ed., Psychology, ESL - English as Second Language, etc.
If I do teach, I want only to private tutor. Cash basis is key factor.

I guess we'll be having to look at other areas, maybe Chonburi. But any other suggestions...... well, any help would be great!

My oldest son, 25, primarily lives in BKK. He's just not available to help us just now, as he's studying in Beijing until mid-July.

As I understand it, most Thai schools start right around August 9th.

Input, guidance, any help would be appreciated. :)
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

There's an international section at Somtawin school but I don't know about the quality of the teaching there. A school year costs about 50.000-70.000 baht.
The Thai school year starts in May (depending on school mid-May to Early June) and the second semester starts usually in early November. Schools following international curriculas usually start in August but are by far more expensive than the one mentioned above.

Looking where you come from I can understand you'd like to be near the sea although I reckon the scenery in your area is pretty impressive as well.
mil_dos

Post by mil_dos »

If there's anyone on the forum that has an English or English speaking child at either Somtawin or Silasian schools, could you give us an idea what the schools are like, what curriculum they follow, sports they play, what the teachers are like or anything else that might be useful.

Please don't refer me to:
http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/vi ... php?t=1276

It only tells me that there was fighting in the playground years ago and Thai kids are happy there.
suzannejames
Amateur
Amateur

Post by suzannejames »

Regarding K - 8 schooling in HH, I have info developing as I move through the process. Met with administrators and others, various teachers, observed classroom teaching, and looked pretty carefully over curriculum. Good US choices for textbooks which students purchase. I'm a vet teacher, and so far I'm quite pleased w/Somtawin for grade 8 EP, but that's easy to say, as my son hasn't started yet!

Since Somtawin School started sometime in May, we'll travel a bit before he attends... maybe. He's anxious to begin, actually. Kids sure do like/need the stability and routine it seems.

Other son, age 16, will be at Stamford University in October. He's going to have to study his ass off to pass the GED and then Stamford's entrance exam. I'm told this is easily done for a native English speaking student - but I won't tell my son that! :wink: Apparently, there are more than a handful of 16 year olds doing the same. Great for inexpensive university credits that are transferable. Stamford is an international school. I can't yet speak to the quality of education, but it sounds pretty decent.

Re: Stamford University or Somtawin School - - Rather than bore a lot of forum readers w/school stuff, PM me if you like.

Suzanne
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

suzannejames wrote:Rather than bore a lot of forum readers w/school stuff, PM me if you like.

Suzanne
Post it, its all good info :thumb: