Pool Water

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
ItsmeSusan
Amateur
Amateur

Pool Water

Post by ItsmeSusan »

I have a question about water quality in a pool.

Last week we had a lot of rain, so last Friday our landlords stuff put chlorine and salt in the pool.
Next day, when I was swimming in the pool, I realized that there were a lot of bubbles on the surface. After three hours the bubbles were still on the surface.
So I told my landlord about that. So next day another guy came and put acid in the water.
Next day, when I was swimming in the pool, I realized that there were again a lot of bubbles on the surface.
Today, once again, someone else came and put soda ash in the water.

And every time they told me, the water is now ok. I am now a little bit confused.

So, my question about this now is, is this healthy? How much different additives you can put in the water?
Angelique

Re: Pool Water

Post by Angelique »

Sorry ItsMesusan... but I have now seen that you have many many problems
you want to talkabout here and most of them belongs between you and youre
Landlord as many here have already told.

Really waiting what is your next question!

I have asked many, -maybe stupid questions here also, but some so simply you have, you can handle by youre own, or move back where you have came from. Sorry to say but very
frustrating to read your post now.

Have had house here 4 years and lived 2++ years permanently and STILL going to ask everything here. Not every "somebody to take coming my house or somebody want to take care of my pool or some bubbles in it" Need to have own mind if want to survive here. Sorry if too cruel but...
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I will try to be helpful although I don't know that much about pools. What the people should have done is test the water before and after adding the salt and chlorine to see if and roughly how much needed to be added. Can't really comment about the bubbles, but if they didn't test the water for ph level and chlorine, you should ask them to do so.
ItsmeSusan
Amateur
Amateur

Post by ItsmeSusan »

Angelique, yes, I have some problems with the house and I talked with the landlord many times.

I really don`t want to make trouble for nothing. I asked for experience from other residents.

But - however - I don`t want to see back, looking forward for the new house.

So I think my question about the pool water is legitim. If you don`t interest in outher ones problems, please don`t read it.
ItsmeSusan
Amateur
Amateur

Post by ItsmeSusan »

The worker test the water two times a week. And for him the water is always ok. I was the one, who said to the landlord, that there is something wrong with the water. (Bubbles or a kind of foam)
I am only worry about the quality, is it healthy or not?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

How much are you paying in rent? 50k per month? My advice to you is to call a pool company and get them to check it out.
This is the way
David Nears
Amateur
Amateur

Post by David Nears »

Hi Susan,

If there is a contaminate on the surface of the water and staying there, the assumption is that this is oil.
Oil can come from your sun tan lotion, this would be my first guess,
This is obvioulsy not harmful,
The pH balance of the water and the chlorine content will provide information on the chemistry which will indicate whether the water is okay for you skin and eyes.
The chlorine content will be as above, the lack of chlorine will also allow bacteria to spread which is harmful if ingested.

Having said all of this, even balanced water can have harmful bacteria in it, even balanced water can have algae.

The foam will not be harmful to you, unless you consume it and I am fairly certain that you won't drink it!

And even after this it will probably just taste bad,
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

I am no expert but I also have foam/bubbles appear in my salt-water swimming pool, especially after heavy rainstorms. If the foam is simply white in colour I have been told that this is perfectly safe and normal. The water should be checked regularly for ph value and chlorine. A modern chlorine generator will monitor the level of chlorine in the pool and maintain it at the correct level (assuming that it is set correctly).

To maintain a proper ph level, requires that someone checks the ph frequently. This is because so many environmental factors can affect it. Rain, pool use, tree and bird droppings, and just about everything else will raise and lower the ph of your swimming pool. Falling mango leaves and rain are the main culprits of ph change in my pool

The optimum ph is considered a range from about 7.2 to 7.6 or 7.8 depending on who is telling you. Generally, you should shoot for about 7.5 to be comfortable. Generally to adjust the ph value either Acid or Soda Ash is added, often available as proprietary brands

The above process is very simple but if your landlord is providing a pool cleaning service then the pool cleaner should be very capable of maintaining the correct ph value for you.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Condoking
Professional
Professional

Post by Condoking »

Best advice is to take your own water sample to one of teh many pool shops and sk them to give an independent test, most do it for free. Use an old water bottle, rinse out and take your sample more than 18" below the surface.
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and then again I just sits" Punch 24th Oct 1906
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Condoking wrote:Best advice is to take your own water sample to one of teh many pool shops and sk them to give an independent test, most do it for free. Use an old water bottle, rinse out and take your sample more than 18" below the surface.
Good suggestion as a one-off, but pools need testing on a regular basis, so a good reliable pool service is what's required for long term peace of mind, or if you feel confident enough to do it yourself, buy a testing kit from one of the pool shops
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Good suggestion as a one-off, but pools need testing on a regular basis, so a good reliable pool service is what's required for long term peace of mind, or if you feel confident enough to do it yourself, buy a testing kit from one of the pool shops
The ph value needs to be monitored regularly. Use a pool company and use one especially during the rainy season.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
ARW
Amateur
Amateur

Post by ARW »

I have recently renovated and refilled my pool and now I am getting calcium buildups on the tiles.
Does anyone else have this problem and how do you clean it off.
Any pool maintenance who can do this.
I visited the poolshops and only got blank looks from the people who serve there.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Is it a salt water pool? I ask because introduction of bags and bags of salt to new water will sometimes result in salt deposits on tile/grout that would resemble calcium. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
ARW
Amateur
Amateur

Post by ARW »

Yes it is a salt water pool and lots of salt was put in when the water was replaced.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

ARW wrote:Yes it is a salt water pool and lots of salt was put in when the water was replaced.
Sounds like a bit of elbow grease with a nylon brush should do the trick - if you want any practice I'll pm you my address :cheers: