Cleaning my water tank

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
james_quentin
Novice
Novice

Cleaning my water tank

Post by james_quentin »

Hi all,

New to the forum and need some advice.

I'd like to clean my water tank using some kind of chemical but not sure which ones are suitable.

Perhaps you guys can help? Need something that works and that's safe to use.

I was also wondering how often the tank should be cleaned? My guess it's in the sun for at least 4 hours a day...

Thanks for your help.

James
Gralee
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Cleaning my water tank

Post by Gralee »

Hi James. I would recommend you to use sodium hypochlorite. It's commonly used to disinfect potable water all round the world, and most waters disinfected this way usually contain a slight residual. It's also used extensively to treat swimming pools and keep them from becoming bacterial reservoirs. You can find it as common household bleach, but be careful as some proprietary brands are perfumed. You should be able to obtain this at any supermarket or pool treatment shop. I would recommend a 100 ppm solution maintained for 24 hours, or equivalent (ie 200 ppm for 12 hours). Once done, flush out and refill with the normal water you intend to use.
Is it a new tank? Are there signs of any algal growth inside, or are you not able to make a visual inspection?
Regards
Graham
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Hydrogen peroxide.......better than any bleach and etc, and safe for the environment also. In fact, when you drain the tank, use the water/hydrogen peroxide solution to water your plants.

Just Google it and all will be revealed.... :thumb:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

We've talked on here before that if you have one of those blue colored tanks, you'll be cleaning it much more often due to the growth of algae in that type.

I've actually never use chemicals as could always find a Thai worker who could get down into it and brush scrub/rinse it. Before my inline filter between street and tank we were doing it about once a year. After the filter I've seen no need for the past 15 months or so. It really depends upon the quality of your water supply. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
bonnielass
Professional
Professional

Post by bonnielass »

Pete,
May I ask what kind of filter you use?
The quality of my water is not so good.
Have to completely clean out my tank twice a year.

:cheers:

BL
Ye canny shove yer Grannie off a bus....
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

Our tanks can sit there full of water for weeks on end while we travel back and forth, just checked them last week and heaps of green stuff growing all over the insides. A friend suggested a decent dosing of pool chlorine while we are away might do the job of clearing up the problem .Any one got any ideas on this method?
Complexity is so simply overrated
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

bonnielass wrote:Pete, May I ask what kind of filter you use? The quality of my water is not so good. Have to completely clean out my tank twice a year. :cheers: BL
A photo is in the below thread. Not sure of the name but the same or similar and replacement filters seem to be available in Home Pro. Pete :cheers:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20680

EDIT: Just found the box for a "similar" one my wife bought for another house. This one is white in colour and named "Clarte" Model WP16P. Made in Thailand and distributed by Smart Electrical Supplies, Bangkok. This one and the blue one in the photo take the same size filter.

EDIT #2: Here are some box and filter photos. Wife says the prices have come down a bit from what I posted in the older referenced thread. Now about 3,500 including filter, and about 1,100 for replacement filter. (Sorry about flipped photos, just turn your computer screen on it's right side :mrgreen: )
รูปภาพ-14.JPG
รูปภาพ-15.JPG
รูปภาพ-16.JPG
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
ItsmeSusan
Amateur
Amateur

Post by ItsmeSusan »

May I ask you how clean is your water in the house with using these kind of filters? (Of course, it`s still not drinking water, I know.)
Is the water clear?

Thanks.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

ItsmeSusan wrote:May I ask you how clean is your water in the house with using these kind of filters? (Of course, it`s still not drinking water, I know.)
Is the water clear?

Thanks.
I can not speak for others but in my case the filters work very well and since installation the water pressure improved over time as the "gunge" in the pipes was gradually washed through the system with no further build-up. In addition I have a water softener in-line which also helps.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain