Sewage treatment

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
rochana1
Rookie
Rookie

Sewage treatment

Post by rochana1 »

I understand that septic tanks (without leach fields) are used almost exclusively in Thailand. I would like to know if this is this has been a big concern for anyone. Thank you, Sid L.
Geko
Professional
Professional

Re: Sewage treatment

Post by Geko »

Sid L you live with what you have here, no problem using septic tanks system just remember no toilet paper in the system, no normal toilet cleaners that will kill the bugs and many companies available to empty the tank when full.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

rochana1 wrote:I understand that septic tanks (without leach fields) are used almost exclusively in Thailand. I would like to know if this is this has been a big concern for anyone. Thank you, Sid L.
A septic tank system will not work without some form of outlet for the treated water. Not sure just what you mean by a "leach field", but if installed correctly it will either have a relatively long leach drain(I guess that is sometimes referred to as a "field"), or discharge into a common storm drain in the street.

With the now mostly universal use of polypropylene / polyethylene underground tanks there should be no problems if installed correctly. They do tend to overlook installing an atmospheric vent pipe, which can lead to back venting odours.

I have never been able to understand the common practice in this country of not flushing used toilet paper. Paper is organic, and apart from a trace of glue, there is no reason why the bacteria will not digest it. It is more likely to be some form of sanitary product that leads to blockages, that must be avoided.

The same applies to domestic cleaners. The concentration strength of normal household cleaners will not affect the bacteria.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Nereus wrote:
rochana1 wrote:I understand that septic tanks (without leach fields) are used almost exclusively in Thailand. I would like to know if this is this has been a big concern for anyone. Thank you, Sid L.
A septic tank system will not work without some form of outlet for the treated water. Not sure just what you mean by a "leach field", but if installed correctly it will either have a relatively long leach drain(I guess that is sometimes referred to as a "field"), or discharge into a common storm drain in the street.

With the now mostly universal use of polypropylene / polyethylene underground tanks there should be no problems if installed correctly. They do tend to overlook installing an atmospheric vent pipe, which can lead to back venting odours.

I have never been able to understand the common practice in this country of not flushing used toilet paper. Paper is organic, and apart from a trace of glue, there is no reason why the bacteria will not digest it. It is more likely to be some form of sanitary product that leads to blockages, that must be avoided.

The same applies to domestic cleaners. The concentration strength of normal household cleaners will not affect the bacteria.
Excellent advice
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

Nereus wrote:

:agree:
I think it's very disgusting when you walk into a bathroom stall and see a huge pile of nasty wiped on tp in the bin right next to the toilet.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

But it's just as disgusting having to unblock the toilet every couple of weeks.

I used to be of the same opinion as Nereus, but a few blocked toilets later, I soon changed my mind. Maybe it's the standard of plumbing in our house, but flushing toilet paper is a definite no, no. We had friends staying back in July, and didn't mention the toilet paper rules - 3 days later, the toilet was totally blocked. It was embarrassing all around. They were embarrassed for blocking our toilet and we were embarrassed for not telling them.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

I spent the first 21 years of my working career designing and building water and efflueent treatment systems and the issue of putting toilet paper down the pan here in Thailand is one of my few peeves of living here.

All toilets here are 100mm - 10cm - 4" waste pipes fitted to a same size drain to the septic pit or main sewer.
This is the same size and standard that you will find globally.

However
Due to piss poor education and training of most of the local 'plumbers' here, the correct installation with a 'fall' to the outlet pipe, coupled with incorrect jointing methods results in unnecessary blockages.
SO - tell folk to put their smelly disease wridden used toilet paper in a bin...............instead of preventing the problem from occurring in the first place.

Logical but stupid

In the end it's an excuse for poor workmanship and the end user takes the blame for blocking the pipe
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I guessed that was the case Terry. Some will have been installed properly, others not. Certainly ours have not.

As for training - TIT.

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Well, I did qualify my post with "installed correctly"!

In a previous life I used to do electrical maintenance at Government Schools in Australia. The girls toilets had small incinerators installed for disposal of sanitary items. I do not recall exactly, but they must of been fitted with a vent pipe or chimney, as the items were burnt with a small heating element. No reason why they would not work with used paper, but I do not know where you would find one here.

If you really want to unblock a waste pipe, try doing it on a ship or oil rig where you have over 100 a********s against you! One rig that I was on had a vacuum system, but I think that it gave more trouble than a plain flushing system!

Some deep sewered systems in Australia use a vacuum system. They have been developed more for environmental reasons, rather than use septic systems in some areas.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Big Boy wrote:But it's just as disgusting having to unblock the toilet every couple of weeks.

I used to be of the same opinion as Nereus, but a few blocked toilets later, I soon changed my mind. Maybe it's the standard of plumbing in our house, but flushing toilet paper is a definite no, no. We had friends staying back in July, and didn't mention the toilet paper rules - 3 days later, the toilet was totally blocked. It was embarrassing all around. They were embarrassed for blocking our toilet and we were embarrassed for not telling them.
I don't know the cost to fix your sewer problem, but might be worth looking into.

The lack of venting seems to be a common issue in Thailand. Not just for toilets, but kitchens as well. Even exhaust fans installed over cook tops are not vented to the outside.
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

Think you'll find that the majority of modern vessels including Oil Production Facilities, FPSO's and Drilling Platforms use vacuum collection systems for managing both black and grey water, the main reasons being:

Reduced water and power consumption.
Reduced piping size.
Sewage pipework design and installation ease, sewage lines do not need to have a natural fall, they can be routed around bulkhead sections and even vertically.
Toilets and wash basin can be located at lower levels on the facilities than sewage collection / treatment plant.

As you correctly say if installed as well as designed and maitained correctly the are no problem.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I wasn't doubting anybody's word - I agree it should be possible to flush the paper. However, in our house, it used to regularly cause blockages as it does in many Thai households. Fortunately, we do have bum squirters here, so the paper is for drying purposes rather than cleaning purposes (mind you, there was a right handed squirter in my hotel last Sunday that I just could not get on with :oops: ).

Even more disgusting was having Thai visitors in the UK. We had a bin in the toilet for general rubbish. I used to be disgusted going into the toilet afterwards and seeing soiled paper staring at me from the bin. Of course, not their fault, it's what they have been brought up to. I must hasted to add, it was the minority of Thai visitors :D

Points 41; Position 18
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

We have been dosing our system with non-toxic granular active enzymes for at least 5 years now and it's has been trouble free so far. We also lodge toilet paper into the system too. The enzymes are supposed break up and digest the solids.
Thai Wat Sadu carry a couple of brands, seen others around the place , think I even saw them in Tesco recently.
But you can undo all the good work these little bugs are doing for you if you allow stuff like toilet cleaners or bleach into the septic tank.
Complexity is so simply overrated
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

deepee

Can you post a photo of the packet the non-toxic granular active enzymes come in. I'd like to buy some.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here's a liquid version. There are at least two liquid types out there, maybe 3-4. They should all be about in the same shelf place in the stores you visit
phpwS0wz9PM.jpg
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source