LG Washing Machine Repair

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Big Boy

LG Washing Machine Repair

Post by Big Boy »

Bit of a long shot this one, but we need a new door seal on our 4 year old LG washing machine. It was a brand new model when we bought it, so shouldn't be beyond repair.

To date we've tried Big Kiang, who simply said they can no longer get parts for LG machines, and we have tried Pure where we purchased the machine.

Pure sent somebody to look at the machine 3 months ago, and nothing since. We went to the shop a couple of days ago to find out what was going on (we'd hastened by phone several times), and they said they can not get parts for LG. We were given the number of a place in Bangkok, and told to get the part ourselves. If we got the part, they would try to get somebody to fit it. FFS, if somebody like Pure can not get the part, what chance do we have?

This was quite out of character for Pure who had given excellent after sales service on several products until now, so I tend to believe them.

Is this the demise of LG in Hua Hin? If you can't buy spares, it would be foolish to buy LG again.

Does anybody have a contact for a decent washing machine repair man please?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Toonmad
Amateur
Amateur

Re: LG Washing Machine Repair

Post by Toonmad »

Two numbers on the service sticker on my LG washing machine. 028785757 and 1800546454. Also a website address. th.lgservice.com. May be worth trying.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks Toonmad. That is Bangkok - you are actually the 3rd person to tell us that number. Mrs BB will call that number in a minute. It just seems incredible that we need to call somebody from Bangkok for a relatively simple repair.

I will certainly evaluate from this experience as to whether its worth buying any future LG items.

I will report back.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, made the call - travelling from Bangkok incurs an initial call out charge of 1,000 Baht (am I back in the UK? - call out charges FFS). We've said OK - should be here in 3 days.

Actually, 1,000 Baht is not OTT if they do a good job. Definitely thinking avoid LG in future - it's not the call out cost, but the extra hassle. OK, a broken door seal is easy enough for a mechanical ignoramus like me to spot. What happens if something serious goes wrong? 1,000 Baht to identify the problem, and then 1,000 Baht to come back with the right parts?

At least it should be done by an 'Expert'.

I will report back after 3 days (probably a Thai time factor to be added to that).

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:I will certainly evaluate from this experience as to whether its worth buying any future LG items.
I don't think it is restricted to LG, Big Boy. A lot of modern consumer items, especially white goods, are sold on a throw away basis. More so in this country where maintaining anything is a secondary consideration.

I have an electric gate opener that is just 4 years old, and cost 25,000 Baht. A bloody Ting Tock decided to set up home inside and shorted out the PCB. "Sorry, cannot buy just a new PCB", so another 25,000 Baht to replace it. The same with a crap "Otto" vacuum cleaner. The thing ran for less that one hour before letting all the smoke out of the motor. In this case it is even impossible to get the thing apart without breaking the housing!

Don't know what the answer is. Several "Electrolux" items have also failed long before they should have. A 2 year old Microwave Oven, I think it was a Samsung, started blowing fuses. Of course, it has a special fuse that only Samsung uses and cannot be bought elsewhere. Jury rigged it with the correct size fuse of a common type and it then blew the complete fuse holder off the PCB!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That was the attitude I used to have in the UK. However, when I came here to live, there were plenty of tradesmen, willing to repair such items at very good rates. My philosophy on such items changed rapidly.

So where have all of these tradesmen gone? Are they unemployed, or working in 7-11? Such a rapid change in a very short space of time.

We are part of a Thai community that normally knows somebody who will tinker with machines, but even that produced the same phone number in Bangkok.

If it becomes a throw-away item, no problem. I used to replace my washing machine every 3 to 5 years in the UK anyway. I will just buy a cheaper model next time. But I honestly don't understand how such a large skills gap has happened in such a short time.

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

There's one such repairman near us, Smor Phrong on the way up to the football training ground, who has all sorts of appliances standing outside his shop waiting for repair (I assume). We've only used him for a fan and a vacuum cleaner (LG :) ), both of which are still going OK after several months.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, thanks hhinner. Will consider him if the LG people don't come through.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well, the LG men (2 of them) arrived today - too big a job to be done at the house. They've had to take the washing machine with them :shock:

Definitely thinking this will be the last LG product I buy.

The problem seems to be that LG are holding customers to ransom by not distributing spares. Yes hhinner's man could do it, as could Pure, but if they can't source the part. So it's not the skill that has disappeared, it's the spares.

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Used to be that LG and Samsung were pretty evenly matched, but it seems that Samsung would be better for service here as they do have a Hua Hin service shop.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK. the machine was returned in just under 7 days, and the total cost, which included a full internal de-scale (they provided photos of how scaled up the machine was) was 3,000 Baht, which in my opinion was very reasonable (2 round trips to Bangkok, the spare part, labour and cleaning). However, the machine is getting old now, and the next time it goes wrong, it will be replaced. I was not happy being without for 7 days.

One thing I hadn't realised was the snob I had become :oops: . Over 60 years on this planet, and this week was my first time ever into a launderette. I felt shy and ashamed as I walked in there. However, what an excellent service they provide in an emergency like this. Put your money in, hit a couple of buttons, and collect about 75 minutes later - a bargain at 20 Baht.

We now have the launderette's over sized 40 Baht machine lined up for duvet cleaning in future.

A happy ending, with a couple of lessons learnt for the future.

Points 41; Position 18
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

just had the lg washing machine repaired. the man checked it out on sun. and took it with him, returned it mon. eve. repaired. 1400Baht. he's a nice person, with a sense of humor, explained everything to my wife about the repair, parts replacement and how to care for the machine. if anyone needs his phone number i don't know if i can post it here, you can send me an email, (is there a way to pm on this site?) at:''georgeneidorf@gmail.com
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Please share handdrummer. It's too late for me this time, but a LG repair man in Hua Hin is rarer than rocking horse sh*t. You'll be helping a lot of readers, I'm sure.

Interesting that he can get spares when the big shops can't.

Points 41; Position 18
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Sorry we have had a great guy who repairs washing machines and air conditioners plus plus his number is 0875319933, Thai speaking and he comes to the house. He is honest and good.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

A touch over 3 years since the repair, and the washing machine is still 100%, so money well spent.

A minor problem happened this morning - the waste water hose split. Fortunately the machine lives outside, so no flood :D . I had my totally incapable look, and the hose is connected behind a panel, so need to call somebody who is capable. First call was to PET's man. The number was no longer in service :cry:

We were on our way to find handdrummer's Samorprong man, but I thought I'd try Big Kiang first as we were almost passing. The good news is they are allowed to supply LG parts again, and will be replacing our leaky hose.

Points 41; Position 18