More power to my shower.

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: More power to my shower.

Post by Nereus »

Ah, not being facetious, but I think you have it backwards:
with reference only to the instant water heaters, as far as I know there is only a pressure switch which will turn on when there is sufficient pressure assuming there is sufficient water flow in the design parameters and the calculated restriction of the shower head typically included as a set.
The pressure switch actually turns off when there is sufficient line supply pressure and no flow. It is the drop in pressure when the shower or sink tap / valve is opened and the outlet flow line pressure drops in relation to the supply pressure. Hence it is called a differential pressure control. If the flow through the heater is restricted for whatever reason, then there will be insufficient pressure difference across the control and it will not operate. There is no flow sensor, it works entirely on pressure.

Storage type water heaters are an entirely different device. There is no pressure switch, the control is thermostatic and maintains a set temperature. They also SHOULD have over temperature protection, plus they MUST have a pressure relief valve, as the pressure inside the tank increases with the temperature.

Although storage heaters are available here, the most common type of water heater is the instantaneous type, and the better quality units are multi outlet types suitable for several outlets. I believe that there is a small type of appliance that is a combined shower and heater, but it is not very common, and I doubt very efficient either. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

barrys wrote:in-line filter.jpg
prcscct wrote:^ Any heater will go bad quickly if large particulates in the water system. You need some kind of house filter system to avoid granules of sand, mud etc., from getting into the heater. Pete :cheers:
Absolutely -by the way, does anyone know where these in-line filters are available?
Whilst crop irrigating in Australia as part of our operation we used a primary plastic disc filter to remove particulate matter from river water for T tape(micro drip) driplines. They are robust, easy to clean and maintain with no ongoing costs (i.e. No filter cartridges or medium to be replaced.) and can remove particulate matter down to a 600 mesh screen size (about 20 microns) depending on discs selected. Takes about 5 mins to dismantle, rinse and re assemble. They would be easily adapted into a town water/well supply incoming water line. It may be worth further investigation.
Have attached a link to Arkal filters with specs which was the brand I used in Aust and also details of a possible Thai supplier.

http://www.irrigationglobal.com/content ... aAodgIMJCA

http://www.builderclick.com/masterforma ... 4&lang=eng
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
AJBangkok
Amateur
Amateur

Post by AJBangkok »

Not just heaters go bad. I had a very expensive rain shower installed when I renovated my bangkok condo. It worked Ike a charm at first but now half the holes where the water comes out are clogged or partially clogged so the water shoots all over the place and some streams are a trickle and some are so "sharp" it feels as if they will take your skin off.

As its built into the roof I have no idea on how to get it out and clean it or try to unblock the water holes. ( I must admit I haven't tried but I looked at it for a long time and there are no clips or holes like they look they are for taking it out if the ceiling so i just didn't bother and use the regular shower )
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Our old one wasn't built into the ceiling, but that same thing started happening. I used a small needle to unblock the holes and re-direct the jets to where they should have been going. It certainly solved the problem until we changed it. It was the mixer tap that eventually broke, and it was as cheap to replace the entire unit.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

:) Certainly not being facetious.. Having not taken one apart but having installed a couple I could be mistaken with the inner workings. Live and learn, I always say. I shall certainly delve into the inner workings of these instant heaters to satisfy my own curiosity.
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Re clogged shower heads.. Get a plastic bag large enough to cover the head. Fill it with vinegar, tie it to the shower head making sure it is totally immersed, and leave it for a day. You'd be surprised at the results.

In another life (the kids are now in their twenties) I also used the vinegar soak method to clean the baby bottle steamer; it removed most of the scale stuck on the elements.
วินเชนท์
AJBangkok
Amateur
Amateur

Post by AJBangkok »

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately the shower is built in and flush with the ceiling so a soak won't be possible. I may try spraying it with vinegar or a scale remover though. I didn't think of that.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Try the needle - it works.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18