More power to my shower.

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

More power to my shower.

Post by Pagey »

I recently changed my shower fitting to a rain type shower with the large shower head which is tall and overhead as you shower. However, the water fall is not as powerful as I would like. Can I buy some sort of pump to increase the power or is it possible to replace the water heater with a 'power shower' style which will increase the pressure ?
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Re: More power to my shower.

Post by Bluesky »

The options available to you will depend on how your shower is currently configured. You may have already done so but it may be worthwhile to check the condition of any inline mesh filters that tend to block up with time and reduce available water flow. As a starting point check to see what the manufacturer recommends as a flow rate ( Litres per minute LPM )of you new shower rose which will give you something to work from. If your shower is fitted with a point of use instantaneous hot water system the available water flow rate may be insufficient depending on configuration. As for boosting the pressure I would consider carefully the quality of inwall plumbing fittings with respect to increased pressure loading.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

After checking all the screens and filters in the water line both to and from the water heater and shower head and that still doesn't solve the problem---Bluesky has a very good answer.

I have an overhead shower BUT separate hot and cold water lines. This allows for very good pressure through cold water line as you just mix in the hot water from the separate hot water instant heater to get desired temp in water. When trying to have that instant hot water shower heater push through enough water for your shower head, just might not be enough as Bluesky said. Wouldn't be too complicated to rig this type of system up with a "T" water fitting dividing the water to the heater and the cold water line but may have to install a new shower piping too.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

The clue is in the name "Rain shower" I have a very expensive one and have installed many by request of the clients I build for. Mine is no good for washing hair or making you feel refreshed. The handset is perfect and the fixed showers in the other bathrooms blast across the room. It is just down to the design I think. I have, however, come across rain showers that do give a decent flow.

Crazy 88
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I've stayed in a lot of hotels here and other tropical places, and I've never come across a rain shower type shower head that had a strong delivery. As C88 says it's the design, it's doing what it says...."a rain shower". Perhaps there's a typhoon shower head out there somewhere :shock:.

As a side note with all shower heads, check for and remove any water restrictor plastic piece in the handle/base end if you need a stronger flow. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

crazy88 wrote:The clue is in the name "Rain shower" I have a very expensive one and have installed many by request of the clients I build for. Mine is no good for washing hair or making you feel refreshed. The handset is perfect and the fixed showers in the other bathrooms blast across the room. It is just down to the design I think. I have, however, come across rain showers that do give a decent flow.

Crazy 88
Yes, that's what prompted my question, I've just replaced the hose and shower head in the guest bathroom for 519 Baht from Home pro and the power and the 'feel' of the jet is far superior to my rain shower. :cry:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Its basic physics really. Pressure is exerted in all directions in a fluid. Take a garden hose without any constriction on the end and lay it on the ground. What happens to the water? Now pick up the hose and put your finger over the end and restrict the flow. What happens now?

As your rain shower has a large area relative to the size of the supply line, the water just simply spreads out to equalise the pressure inside the whole of the head. Added to this, your average house pump here only puts out around 2 / 2.5 Bar pressure to start with.

Bets idea is to shower with a friend. :rasta:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

brianks wrote:
I have an overhead shower BUT separate hot and cold water lines. This allows for very good pressure through cold water line as you just mix in the hot water from the separate hot water instant heater to get desired temp in water. When trying to have that instant hot water shower heater push through enough water for your shower head, just might not be enough as Bluesky said. Wouldn't be too complicated to rig this type of system up with a "T" water fitting dividing the water to the heater and the cold water line but may have to install a new shower piping too.
Please note the word 'instant' in bold.. If you are really using one of those instant water heaters in that particular application, you are going to cause an accident. The hot water output cannot be restricted for this type of heater; it needs a free flow or the heater could overheat. Getting scalded would then be the least of your worries...
My two baht worth..
วินเชนท์
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Not sure what you are getting at there, VincentD?
All the instantaneous hot water heaters that I have seen here only switch on when there is sufficient water flow. Restrict the water flow and the differential pressure switch simply turns off the power. In fact, I have seen a problem with the water supply pressure that low the pressure switch will not turn on the power, resulting in a trickle of cold water.

In addition, I have yet to see one that does not have some form of over temperature safety switch built in. But then, I have also seen "fake" heaters that should not be trusted, never mind used in a shower installation.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

For individual or central water heaters we use Stiebel. Minimal extra cost and great service. Even the cheaper ones have a cut out.

Crazy 88
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

I agree with Stiebel as the number one choice. I have 6 in my apartment in BKK and they are now 12 years old and I've never had a problem with any of them, even the one in the kitchen which gets used the most frequently.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ By far the #1. I've tried just about every brand available here and none hold a candle to Stiebel. They are expensive but well worth it for years of care free operation. A couple of points IMO with any water heater: 1) Wise to install a separate breaker right at the heater electrical connection point. Maybe overkill, but gives me a level of comfort greater then if it was just connected to the house breaker for the bathroom circuit. 2) Any heater will go bad quickly if large particulates in the water system. You need some kind of house filter system to avoid granules of sand, mud etc., from getting into the heater. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

in-line filter.jpg
in-line filter.jpg (3.64 KiB) Viewed 1175 times
prcscct wrote:^ Any heater will go bad quickly if large particulates in the water system. You need some kind of house filter system to avoid granules of sand, mud etc., from getting into the heater. Pete :cheers:
Absolutely -by the way, does anyone know where these in-line filters are available?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Lazada list 797 water filters. in Hua Hin the shop just north of the palace traffic lights has many different filters.

http://www.lazada.co.th/shop-water-filters-purifier/
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Nereus.. with reference only to the instant water heaters, as far as I know there is only a pressure switch which will turn on when there is sufficient pressure assuming there is sufficient water flow in the design parameters and the calculated restriction of the shower head typically included as a set.
I am not sure if all heaters would have an over-temperature switch installed but certainly would not want to be the one to find out.
An old trick I used to use when the pressure was less than desireable was to block the shower head with my hand, which would turn on the pressure switch and thus the heater element so I would have warm water in stops and starts.

Obviously if you use a proper storage type water heater designed for this application the above does not apply. These are typically ceiling mounted and are designed for a split-type tap regulator and do not come with a shower head as part of the package.
วินเชนท์