Automatic gate

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Automatic gate

Post by joelle »

Hello, I would like to automise our front gate
Any suggestions on where I can get an estimate from ?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Automatic gate

Post by Nereus »

You could call "Boy". He speaks good English and supplies and installs electric gates. Be aware that the motor unit alone is around 25k Baht.

086 529 8222
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Thanks Nereus but it sounds a bit expensive, nonetheless will give him a call and see
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Our automatic gate motor was destroyed by flooding this time last year and almost everywhere we looked we were told 25k baht for the motor. I managed to find one on Lazada for around 12k but it requires magnets to operate the home and end points instead of being programmable. It works though and even 12k is too much for what it is!
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
HHcolin
Amateur
Amateur

Post by HHcolin »

Hi,
Sorry to Hijack this post but does anybody know where to buy a remote gate opener, just the fob part?
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Thanks J.J.B.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

HHcolin wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:21 pm Hi,
Sorry to Hijack this post but does anybody know where to buy a remote gate opener, just the fob part?
There is a shop on 3rd floor of Market Village, near Banana IT, next to the doors that exit to the parking garage. This shop was able to clone / duplicate my remote gate fobs. They have a little signal analyzer machine that determines the signal frequencies of your existing fob. If you don’t currently have a working fob they may still be able to bring the analyzer out to your gate, not sure. If you find out please let us know.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

3 years ago I had to replace my gate motor unit, I contracted a local company and was pleased with the results, I think the cost was about 22,000 baht. Since then, I’ve regretted that I didn’t explore getting a unit with a safety feature to prevent the gate from closing if someone or something got pinched in the gate. On one of the units at the aliexpress link above I see a feature called “Meet the resistance to return function.”, I think this is the safety feature I am talking about. On my gate, if a dog, cat or human got caught when the gate is closing, it would kill them. Consequently, I always observe the gate until fully closed before leaving. My next unit will have that safety feature and will probably be from Aliexpress as the prices I see are much less expensive.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

“Meet the resistance to return function.”,
Yes, that is correct. A programable controller will have that feature, and some of them have a "person" entrance function that just opens the gate enough for a person to use.

BUT, maybe the safest feature is to use one that works on 12 Volts and has a backup battery. Several years ago a poster on here received an electric shock from a stainless steel gate, due entirely to the usual Thai standard of electrical installations. Aside from that, regular outages here could see you with a gate stuck open / closed / stuck in between during a power failure.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I also explored the 'add-on' option and the best quote I could get was just under 25,000 baht all wired in. As Nereus points out, a 12V one would be great as I would probably add a solar backup, but practically all the companies will use a 220V mains operated one. They say that 12V option is not available.
As for the 'resistance' function, most just add a microwave sensor so if you're not in the field of vision you'll get squashed.
And the remote is just that. They will not hard wire the thing into the house. Too much work.
Suffice to say I've shelved the idea. For now.
วินเชนท์
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

And the remote is just that. They will not hard wire the thing into the house. Too much work.
Suffice to say I've shelved the idea. For now.
Not sure what you mean by this???? The controller is hard wired into the motor box and the range depends on the strength of the signal from the remote fob. I think mine is on its 3rd motor in 13 years, and for sure one of the mongrel things could be opened from inside the house. Not sure about the latest one.

Both the current unit and the previous one had 12 volt motors with a battery backup charged from the controller. The switch over to battery can be a problem if the AC supply has a "brown out" rather than complete loss.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Nereus wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:18 pm Not sure what you mean by this????
The auto gate in Singapore is hardwired to the house, a switch on the wall opens and closes the gate. Here, the company told me they would only provide a remote fob and would not run an additional wire into the house.
วินเชนท์
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

VincentD wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:33 pm
Nereus wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:18 pm Not sure what you mean by this????
The auto gate in Singapore is hardwired to the house, a switch on the wall opens and closes the gate. Here, the company told me they would only provide a remote fob and would not run an additional wire into the house.
Ok, so when you drive home in your car in Singapore you have to leave your car outside, go inside and open the gate, go back outside and pay the police for wrong parking place, then what? Or you blow the car horn and the maid wakes up and pushes the switch, and while you are waiting you can pay the policeman? :rasta:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Nereus wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:26 pm
“Meet the resistance to return function.”,
Yes, that is correct. A programable controller will have that feature, and some of them have a "person" entrance function that just opens the gate enough for a person to use.

BUT, maybe the safest feature is to use one that works on 12 Volts and has a backup battery. Several years ago a poster on here received an electric shock from a stainless steel gate, due entirely to the usual Thai standard of electrical installations. Aside from that, regular outages here could see you with a gate stuck open / closed / stuck in between during a power failure.
Maybe they’re not all the same but our motor has a manual override which you operate with a key and then pull a lever to disengage the gear and the gate can be pushed open by hand - not as convenient as a 12v motor with battery back up but ok on the few occasions it has happened when we’ve needed to go out during a power cut.