Seeking engineers, can you help?

Hook up with friends, arrange meetings, outings and visa trips here.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Re: Seeking engineers, can you help?

Post by usual suspect »

Why do I picture you as the 'head' penguin outa the film Madagscar 2..?? :wink: :mrgreen:
av8er

Post by av8er »

I haven't seen "Madagascar 2", but I'm fairly sure I'm being-unjustifiably-insulted. :shock: There's no ulterior motive, no malice or evil intent, I'm just ambitious enough to know I want to build something-not a house-and honest enough to know my limitations. As I said in an earlier post, I'm just dipping my toe in the water to find out what, if any, local expertise there is out there, that's all. 8)
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

Av8er
I am looking forward to seeing your avatar that you select. :mrgreen: some like:
Gyro Gearloose.jpg
Gyro Gearloose.jpg (9.74 KiB) Viewed 3359 times
av8er

Post by av8er »

It's all gone very quiet here, is everyone too busy flexing their engineering/mechanical muscles to find the time to post? i just know there's a huge pool of talent and knowledge out there, C'mon, don't be shy :D
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

are you seeking a grey army of engineers willing to help you build whatchamacallints?

anyway first step is always define the need or problem.
go to it. :roll:
av8er

Post by av8er »

Jimbob wrote:are you seeking a grey army of engineers willing to help you build whatchamacallints?

anyway first step is always define the need or problem.
go to it. :roll:

Fair comment, Jimbob, O.K. Here it is. Believe it or not, for the last 25 years or so, homebuilt aircraft have been making serious inroads into the established light aircraft market-Cessna, Piper, etc. I've always had this dream that one day I'd build my own aircraft but, as I said in an earlier post, I'm a well intentioned-but impatient bodger who needs a cooler, calmer, more analytical brain taking a longer view-"no, don't whack that in there, let's try a different way". Now, maybe I'll buy a completed aircraft-maybe I'll buy a kit-a giant "meccano" where part "A" just doesn't quite fit to part "B" the way the manual says, that's where the analytical, cooler temprement comes in. I just know there's an untapped pool of amazing talent out there, which would be able to guide, direct, cajole, and threaten me, where necessary. If this floats your boat-and I sincerely hope it does-start posting :D
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

Maybe something like the synergy aircraft or an ultra light :wink:
synergy220120519093032.png
synergy220120519093032.png (164.89 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

You'll have a problem getting that thing licensed here, let alone get permission to fly.

Why not get involved in something a bit closer to the ground, say an amphib? There are some interesting sites on the net and it could generate quite a bit of interest seeing as the next major floods are possibly just around the corner?

If you like flying, take a trip to the Royal Thai Air Force museum, it'll make for an interesting afternoon.
Also some ultralight clubs around, so you don't have to build your own and risk life and limb...

My two baht worth..
วินเชนท์
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

VincentD wrote: Why not get involved in something a bit closer to the ground, say an amphib? ...
Now I'd be up for that - I'm not an engineer but we do have a good one here!
av8er

Post by av8er »

[quote="VincentD"]You'll have a problem getting that thing licensed here, let alone get permission to fly.

Why not get involved in something a bit closer to the ground, say an amphib?

It's for that very reason that I don't want an ultralight. Well, that and the fact that they're too slow, too flimsy, too exposed, too........ I did my seat-of-the-pants flying when I wore a younger man's clothes. I guess like everyone who's ever camped, backpacked, or done 3-day rock festivals, I'm so glad I did those things-then: but I've grown too familiar with the comfortable things in life. My days of trying to scream to a passenger in a howling 60kt wind are far behind me, now I like to speak at around 100kt. :D

Regarding the amphib, there's a lovely one that I would snap-up in a minute called the Collyaer Freedom, but their web-site is frozen at 2006 if I remember correctly, and I haven't been able to get an alternative source of info. I'm currently looking at the Kitfox and the Jabiru. I think I said in an earlier post, that I may buy a self-assemble kit or an already complete aircraft. I think the latter would be easier to register and obtain a permit-to-fly for, but the former.... :thumb: What a blast!!!! With a typical range of around 500 nautical miles (925klms)..........the possibilities are endless ......... :cheers:
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Errr...
I understand from your zeal and your avatar name you're pretty keen on flying, but when I said amphib, I meant amphibious vehicle as in you can drive it on the road and also into a river/ sea without any problems.

The two amphibs you're looking at are amphibous aircraft...

Barry, something to whet your appetite. One of the kits is based on a Suzuki Caribian (as they're called here) The Jimny was never officially imported and grey market models cost an arm and a leg.

http://www.timdutton.com/4wd.html
The kit however will cost an arm and a leg.

Note: I did work in aviation for quite a while, background similar to Chaspul in that I too branched out into NDT. Doing something different theses days, though.
วินเชนท์
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Well I also worked in aviation for awhile, both as a commercial pilot and limited engineer licence. I was also involved briefly here in Thailand and I can assure that if you have ambitions about building and flying your own aircraft here you will need to know somebody much more influential that a Farang engineer!
It can be done, but you will need VERY deep pockets, any kit aircraft cost being the least of your problems.

As an aside and a bit off topic, I believe that the Air Force Museum may be closed. They lost a lot of equipment in the floods, mostly due the the utter incompetence of the so-called manager. The last I read about it he had sent a bill to the Government for something like 11 Billion Baht! :(
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

The museum shut down? Sad.

Av8er,
You can always join a club, though I have not been to Bangphra airfield for a while. A friend's son did his ppl there years ago.
http://www.thaiflyingclub.com/
วินเชนท์
av8er

Post by av8er »

[quote="Nereus"]Well I also worked in aviation for awhile, both as a commercial pilot and limited engineer licence. I was also involved briefly here in Thailand and I can assure that if you have ambitions about building and flying your own aircraft here you will need to know somebody much more influential that a Farang engineer!
It can be done, but you will need VERY deep pockets, any kit aircraft cost being the least of your problems.

Nereus, as an Aussie-i'm guessing-you might be familiar with the Jabiru range of planes. I've only started to dip my toes in the water as far as importing an aircraft into Thailand is concerned, but according to the Thai civil aviation website, it appears...fairly...straightforward. (Allowing for governments/Asians/incompetence/interfering/more incompetence/bureaurocracy/corruption/all of the above x10). Surely, if push comes to shove, an existing aircraft, with a Certificate of Export, a VH registration, and, if neccessary, "fiscal lubricant :D " should do the trick, don't you think? cheers.
av8er

Post by av8er »

VincentD wrote:The museum shut down? Sad.

Av8er,
You can always join a club, though I have not been to Bangphra airfield for a while. A friend's son did his ppl there years ago.
http://www.thaiflyingclub.com/

VincentD, I'm sorry but, I can't help thinking of Groucho Marx's comment, I think it was, "I don't care to belong to any club that would choose to have someone like me as a member". :D