Charitable donations for Cancer victim - Can anyone help?

Hook up with friends, arrange meetings, outings and visa trips here.
Zeolite
Rookie
Rookie

Charitable donations for Cancer victim - Can anyone help?

Post by Zeolite »

Apologies if such questions are not allowed.

I would like to help a lady who is dying with Stage IV lung cancer, by providing a small house for her and her daughter (who will tend to her), to live in for the next 6 months. Unfortunately, being on a pension, I do not have sufficient income to pay for their accommodation. I need 15,000 thb per month. 10,000 for rent plus 5000 for a humidifier and supplements.

Are their any Good Samaritans out there who would be willing to help?
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Re: Charitable donations for Cancer victim - Can anyone help

Post by Arlo »

Zeolite wrote:Apologies if such questions are not allowed.

I would like to help a lady who is dying with Stage IV lung cancer, by providing a small house for her and her daughter (who will tend to her), to live in for the next 6 months. Unfortunately, being on a pension, I do not have sufficient income to pay for their accommodation. I need 15,000 thb per month. 10,000 for rent plus 5000 for a humidifier and supplements.

Are their any Good Samaritans out there who would be willing to help?

Sorry to hear about your friend. Have you thought about having a fund raising event? I wouldn't know how to go about it here, but people where I come from do it all the time. They will put together golf outings, card games (careful here), 5k runs, and things like that to raise money. I did go to a fund raiser in Bang Saphan that was raising money for a dog shelter once and that just involved live music and a basket being passed around for donations.

If this is not some scam (please don't take that the wrong way, but everyone has to be careful on the internet) I really hope you succeed and can help this lady.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

120+ views and mine is the 2nd reply. Why? Because your post looks like a scam.
No details given. What is your involvement? Is she in HH? Why are her family not involved?
Why so much for accommodation etc etcp
Zeolite
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Zeolite »

Arlo wrote:Have you thought about having a fund raising event? I wouldn't know how to go about it here, but people where I come from do it all the time.
Yes. I will try this if a direct appeal on here or to friends doesn't work. It isn't so much money so we will see.
oakdale160 wrote:120+ views and mine is the 2nd reply. Why? Because your post looks like a scam.
No details given. What is your involvement? Is she in HH? Why are her family not involved?
Why so much for accommodation etc etcp
Sorry it looks that way. Asking for assistance is new to me. Normally I dip into my own pocket but this time need to ask for help and I have lived in Thailand long enough to know scams do exist. So, your caution is justified.

Ok. The daughter works in Hua Hin and her father died of Cancer last year. She nursed him until he died but spent all her savings doing so and was forced to go looking for work. She has a job but the income is low. He wasn't a good provider and they lost the farm and land due to his gambling. To look after her mother at home (Korat), she would need to leave her job here and would lose any means of support. So, the obvious answer is to move her mother here and she can both work and take care of her better. She has a younger brother but you know as well as I that Thai men are not best suited for long term nursing care. Nor is he working.

I have searched and there aren't any suitable rooms currently available within walking distance of her work. She needs to be close. They would have accepted a small room for 5k but the mother would have nothing to do in a confined space with no kitchen and possibly no windows. I can't imagine what it would be like sleeping in the same room with a dying cancer sufferer. I guess Thais can do it but I wanted to ease her passing by giving her more space and air, the opportunity to cook and also to use a humidifier. They need a fridge, cooking utensils, bedding and so on. I have been advised by a Doctor of some ways to provide comfort. A little more space would make life easier.

I think a minimum requirement over 6 months would be 100k. I am also asking friends and the local Church but know that Churches tend to be overwhelmed with such cases and friends can often run away when it comes to dipping into their own pocket. They don't know these people. Why should they help? This is a fact of life so I have no expectations.

Scam? I don't believe so. I have seen pictures of her lungs being drained in the hospital.

I can provide details but first wanted to gauge the response. There are many cases like this in Thailand every day and you can't help them all. When I was asked for help, how could I say no? You must know that if she feels desperate enough she will be forced into prostitution.

The mother arrives in Hua Hin tomorrow and I have paid the deposit and 1st months rent. I could find a way to continue support but help from others would be appreciated. I can be contacted via pm and will provide a phone number. I can arrange a meeting with anyone interested in helping and you can judge for yourself whether I, the mother or daughter look like scammers.

If anyone has ideas as to what else can be done, I'd like to hear them.

Thanks for taking the time.
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

You need to have posted 10 messages first I believe before you can send or receive PMs.
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

I suggest you open a bank account to receive donations and post the details on here providing there is no objection.

If you do that I will make a donation of Baht 5,000 and take the risk this is not a scam.
Zeolite
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Zeolite »

malcolminthemiddle wrote:I suggest you open a bank account to receive donations and post the details on here providing there is no objection.

If you do that I will make a donation of Baht 5,000 and take the risk this is not a scam.
Thank you so much for being the first prepared to take the risk. I have already put up 37,000 of my own money. It is certainly not a scam on my part and the lady is coming to Hua Hin tomorrow. I shall be helping in whatever way I can and perhaps even visiting on a daily basis. I doubt any scammer would take the risk of coming here where she can be observed. Also funds will go in rent directly to the landlord. Apart from some food money, they won't receive cash directly.

Here is a picture of the lady in hospital, taken last week, having her lungs drained...
Lung Cancer 1.jpg
Donations will go to my account, not the patient. I am happy to meet anyone for a coffee and provide access to the books and full accounting. Since the total sum needed is relatively small, I am unlikely to abscond with funds to the Bahamas.

Thanks to those prepared not to succumb to skepticism. The daughter is not a hardened bar girl but a decent lady with a good heart who only wants to be able to take care of her mother.

Bank account details:

Bangkok Bank
A/C No: 3540940347
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

Just out of curiosity; have you posted your request only in this forum, or have you canvassed other forums as well and if so, what was the reaction?
A friend is only one click away
Zeolite
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Zeolite »

Lung Per wrote:Just out of curiosity; have you posted your request only in this forum, or have you canvassed other forums as well and if so, what was the reaction?
Actually I had been trying to handle this on my own and never gave support from elsewhere a thought, until this morning. I have asked at a local Church and a decision will go to a board and they will decide yes or no. How long that takes and what they may contribute is open to question. My feeling was they are already fully stretched, so I decided to try on this forum. Nowhere else.

It is wishful thinking to expect an avalanche of replies. However, it may only take one compassionate benefactor who is financially comfortable and that may be sufficient. We will see. If I don't raise sufficient funds, now I have started this process, I shall exhaust all possibilities. Including gate-crashing the Quiz Night and walking round with a tin cup.
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Post by LolaBeltran »

I too will donate 5000 baht. Can I meet you sometime tomorrow or Friday in central Hua Hin to give this to you in cash. I am not great with ATMs and money transfers ( never done one!)

I am looking for a real case to help someone out and this sounds like one.

I always make the resolution to help others more . . . but I am very wary of big organized donation schemes like UNICEF, the Red Cross, orphanages, church sponsored projects and the like. (Especially here where even the beggars are organized.)

I think you can PM me by now and we can chat that way.
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

Zeo, online transfer screen is requesting account name, please confirm.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Zeolite, as Lola has stated, you have the PM facility now if you don't want to reveal your real name.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Zeolite
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Zeolite »

malcolminthemiddle wrote:Zeo, online transfer screen is requesting account name, please confirm.
Sorry. I'm used to just the account number and bank being required. I have sent you the details by pm.
LolaBeltran wrote:I too will donate 5000 baht. Can I meet you sometime tomorrow or Friday in central Hua Hin to give this to you in cash.
Many thanks. Have sent you a pm and am happy to meet.

If the forum would like to be kept up to date on donations or status of the lady concerned, I am happy to post details. My minimum target is just to cover the rent for 6 months or whatever length of time is needed. Anything else is a bonus.

Can I just express my gratitude to those who have responded. I am very grateful and a little less stressed.
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Post by LolaBeltran »

I wonder why this admirable cause has not gotten more attention from forum members and has dropped out of sight. Hopefully this means that people have moved into the world of PM's and support is still being offered?? Bump it up here anyway for anyone who missed it.
Zeolite
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Zeolite »

LolaBeltran wrote:I wonder why this admirable cause has not gotten more attention from forum members and has dropped out of sight. Hopefully this means that people have moved into the world of PM's and support is still being offered?? Bump it up here anyway for anyone who missed it.
Five members have been kind enough to contribute, from 1,000 to one 10k donation. Whoever the latter was, thank you. Total contributions are 22k. I have had to purchase some mundane items, such as cooking pots, an iron, rice cooker, towels.

If any members wish to contribute, even 500 thb would be a big help. I would also like to beg, borrow or steal the following...

1. Nebulizer with mask (Ultrasound model would be ideal). Apparently these can be bought at Boots or pharmacies.
2. Floor standing fan x 2.
3. Humidifier
4. Juicer/Blender

I have met the mother and she is small, underweight, very quiet and modest. She has never smoked. Her x-rays are similar to this:
lung cancer2.jpg
lung cancer2.jpg (2.57 KiB) Viewed 5735 times
What surprised me about lung cancer is that 40% of those diagnosed with Stage IV don't have any symptoms and aren't diagnosed until it's too late. The daughter goes back to work tomorrow so the mother will be alone in the house. I can visit to check on her 2x daily. If anyone else has any free time, perhaps they could drop by and say hello.

Please contact me via pm if you are interested in either visiting or making a donation.