James Hughes missing in Hua Hin

Hook up with friends, arrange meetings, outings and visa trips here.
Rosh
Novice
Novice

James Hughes missing in Hua Hin

Post by Rosh »

James Hughes, one of our beloved professors has gone missing since Aug. 02. He is originally from Mississippi, USA but has been living in Hua Hin, Thailand and working as a teacher at Webster University (Hua Hin Campus) for the past 6 years. He was last seen on August 2nd by his friend/landlord David Hodgins as well as a co-worker in his apartment in Cha Am and was "very much not himself". They left him in his room and when David went to check on him in the morning he wasn't there and hasn't been seen since.

Does anyone know where he is or has any information that might help? Thanks!
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Re: ATTENTION - JAMES HUGHES MISSING IN HH

Post by LolaBeltran »

Just bumping this post up here and hoping that someone has information on James. He is a great guy and a popular teacher whose students ( and the faculty & administration) are really worried about him.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

A picture if available might help.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

There is a large pic in the OP.
Talk is cheap
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

caller wrote:There is a large pic in the OP.
Oops!! I really need to get my glasses changed. Looking on my smart phone I simply assumed the pic was an ad because of the text with the pic. Sorry
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I did the same Bristolian
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
neo24
Amateur
Amateur

Post by neo24 »

The school released a letter stating that he was seen last week in town and they will continue to hold his contract open. Doesn't really express much, but that's what I would expect from them.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Any more updates on this intruiguing story? I'm guessing that James is OK, but has decided not to work at Webster University any more.

Need a conclusion (I like a story nicely tied up).

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

Sad news VS,
James passed 6th September..... RIP
http://www.webster.ac.th/news/2016/hughes.html
Complexity is so simply overrated
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

So sorry to hear that. I didn't know him, but judging by what has been written about him it sounds like he was a nice guy.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
buksida

Re: James Hughes missing in Hua Hin

Post by buksida »

What happened to my dead brother?
James Hughes was found dead in a Hua Hin hotel room on Sept 6 after having disappeared on Aug 5. He was 58 and his cause of death was given as "circulatory failure". But when brother David Hughes received an autopsy report a month later, he was convinced that something major was being covered up.

The results showed that the American lecturer, who taught at Webster University Thailand (WUT), sustained several bruises from head to toe and an internal bruise in the occipital region of his head.

"He was beaten badly and I am sure he died from these injuries, definitely," David Hughes told Spectrum in a telephone interview from New York.

The hotel where James Hughes died was located in a bar district near Hua Hin police station and only a block and a half away from the savage attack on a British family during the Songkran holiday in April. That assault, captured by overhead security cameras and posted on social media, sparked outrage over its brutality.

"This is a faulty police, embassy and Thai government issue and cover-up," said David Hughes. "It's like with the British couple that was beaten in Hua Hin. They [Thai authorities] didn't want that to get out there, I'm sure. It kills tourism."

Two months after James Hughes' death, police closed the case, saying there was no evidence pointing to murder. But friends and relatives are urging authorities to investigate what they say is a likely murder.

More: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/special ... d-brother-
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

This WUT place....again. This place seems to be embroiled in scandal after scandal time and time again.

This opaque place has been going on like this for years.

Seems like this guy was good at his job and popular. I think everyone knows what to think on this one if you read the full BBK Post article.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

A very strange and cautionary tale. I wonder if the US media will pick up on this?
Talk is cheap
buksida

Post by buksida »

Webster Thailand faculty member’s mysterious death questioned by family
When David Hughes learned that his brother, Webster University Thailand professor James Hughes, had died in a hotel room in Hua Hin, he thought Webster was better equipped to handle the funeral arrangements than he was.

David lives in New York and decided to allow a friend of his brother’s to handle the cremation. Webster Thailand hosted a small funeral ceremony attended by students and faculty, and David struggled to understand how his brother had died from what he was told was circulatory failure.

“I was trying to get to a place of peace with this,” David said.

That all changed when he saw the autopsy report.

Far from circulatory failure, the autopsy report, which has been published online by the Bangkok Post, showed a series of severe contusion wounds and tears all over James’ body, including internal bruises on his head and injuries to his eye sockets, forehead, and nasal bridge. The autopsy lists 12 separate injuries.

For David, the autopsy, and the photos he later saw, were proof that James was beaten to death. David now believes that his brother was murdered, and that Thailand’s police chose to ignore the obvious signs.

More: http://websterjournal.com/2016/11/30/we ... ed-family/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

Police say US man's death not a murder
Hua Hin police have concluded that the death of an American professor who had gone missing for a month in the beach town resort was not the result of a homicide.

James Hughes, a lecturer at Webster University Thailand, was found dead in a hotel room on Sept 6 after having disappeared on Aug 5.

An autopsy report released in October by the Police General Hospital's Institute of Forensic Medicine indicated the 58-year-old had died of "failed respiration and blood circulation".

But close friends and relatives remain convinced that Hughes was physically assaulted after seeing the results, which showed several contusions, tear and avulsion wounds as well as an internal bruise in the occipital region of his head.

"We have taken into account witness testimony and forensic evidence and are confident that [James Hughes] died of circulatory failure," Hua Hin police superintendent Pol Col Sittichai Srisopacharoenrat told the Bangkok Post.

Three hotel staff questioned by police confirmed that the bruises occurred around one week before Hughes' death, said Pol Col Sittichai.

More: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... t-a-murder