Auto save facility

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
caller
Hero
Hero

Auto save facility

Post by caller »

Is it possible to add an auto save facility for posts yet to be submitted? Sometimes, I want to think about what I have written, sometimes because a new post has been submitted before I have finished, or do a bit of research, or sometimes I actually think I have posted when I haven't and sometimes I come out by accident. Either way, if you come out of the 'box' you have lost what was there. A couple of other forums I use - 1 Thai related, 1 not, provide this facility and it's a great help. Thanks
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Re: Auto save facility

Post by Big Boy »

Not that I'm aware of. I create such posts in Word, then copy/paste them when I'm ready.

I hope that I'm wrong and a facility does exist.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Will this do it?

What is the “Save” button for in topic posting?
This allows you to save drafts to be completed and submitted at a later date. To reload a saved draft, visit the User Control Panel.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Yes, you're absolutely right - thanks!

But only available in full editor.

Edit, I just saved and then resurrected the above. It's a bit messy and limited and not an 'autosave' as such, but works. Thanks for the heads up and apologies to admin that I hadn't noticed this before.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

You know, I thought there was one, but couldn't see it for looking :oops: :oops: :oops:

A word of warning, I have used it a few times in the past, and it doesn't save everything, which is why I switched to Word, rather than be tempted, and then lose half of my formatting, and all my photos etc. If a large or complicated post, I write and format in Word, and add photos later.

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I write and format in Word, and add photos later.
Yes, that's what I do as well.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

As BB says it's really wise to use Word or some other good word processing software as it autosaves often. Not just for forums but for any long message you're typing on any web page. Then copy and paste it in.

The number of times I've typed for 10 minutes on a bank or financial webpage, tried to send, page hits a glitch, tried to page back the browser and it's all gone. I still do it sometimes. :D :D :D
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Still hope admin can sort out an autosave TBH. :thumb:
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It works fine so long as you don't do any formatting, adding of emoticons or adding pictures. I like using all of that :oops: .

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:28 pm It works fine so long as you don't do any formatting, adding of emoticons or adding pictures. I like using all of that :oops: .
Yes, but it's still not done automatically. On another forum I use, not Thai related, it auto saves photos, links and so on. When you press the reply button, having previously left the thread, all you have completed to date is there, just as you left it. On another forum, this time Thai related, you are offered an option of retrieving autosaved material.
Talk is cheap
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

caller wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:22 pm
Big Boy wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:28 pm It works fine so long as you don't do any formatting, adding of emoticons or adding pictures. I like using all of that :oops: .
Yes, but it's still not done automatically. On another forum I use, not Thai related, it auto saves photos, links and so on. When you press the reply button, having previously left the thread, all you have completed to date is there, just as you left it. On another forum, this time Thai related, you are offered an option of retrieving autosaved material.
Do you have time to actually get out of the house? I know it's rainy season, but, food shopping and all that?...

:)