Mandatory initiation procedure for new members

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

I have noticed this a bit recently that new members are just skipping the Forum Starter Pack and Introductions and are just "let loose" straight away to ask questions that have been asked a million times before and have made no effort to read any previous threads about a subject that has been covered, well, so put it lightly/politely "before".

Why don't you make it compulsory in the forum software that you can't go into the other forums until you've posted in Introductions and announced yourself.

I have, on many occasions, found myself welcoming someone in the middle of a thread or in a bisarrely random position in the forum for the first time.

It is only polite to announce your presence/desire to join(in the right place) and contibute. You may consider me being somewhat old fashioned here, forgive me if you do, but it would be conducive to all I think.

There is often confusion when a new member just starts a thread from nowhere with their first post. Might cut away some of the jokers. I have even got myself in trouble(with admin) through trying to help first time posters, only to find/see them never post again or post the next time about 2 months later. My goodwill and consideration to help has been abused etc, which I don't really mind but .............you know what I mean.

I am aware that the forum require new members but it might be a positive move and have a benefit in some areas.

All comment welcome as I may be completely wrong here.

:cheers:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Mandatory? Seems a bit harsh to me.
There's nothing wrong with people asking questions - don't forget that some of them may not have been on an internet forum before.
Mandatory/compulsory? I don't like those words - sorry.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Agreed Lomu - a 'mandatory' procedure doesn't seem appropriate in the case of a forum like HHAD. Polite, yes of course, but as Buksi has said, a lot of people just lurk and never post anyway.
Those who make inappropiate posts are soon discouraged. Some might just be thinking of visiting LOS and just put the odd question or two, which I think is fine.
The only other forum I use is one for people with disabilities and benefit problems. On that kind of thing it IS appropriate to do an introduction stating work and experience in that field, so that other users can see who they are dealing with. But 'mandatory initiation' sounds a bit too 'inner sanctum' to me! :cheers:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.