'Ignore' Feature

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

'Ignore' Feature

Post by MrPlum »

There is a site I use often, when trading stocks, where incredible abuse is part of the game of unsettling members and preventing them discussing the merits, or otherwise, of a stock. Hordes of 'Boiler room bashers' regularly descend to hurl the most disgusting bile and abuse.

HHAD 'bashers' are pussycats by comparison. :thumb:

It's not a lot of fun for other members though when threads get cluttered by 'flame wars' and I'm guilty of lighting a fire or two, even though I may try and put it out again. :roll:

Anyway, the stock site has a nifty feature that allows you to enter a member's name and select 'ignore'. All their posts are instantly gone. If you see an interesting thread going, you can always 'UN-ignore' them, then 'ignore' them again once you have read it.

Much better to have this than trying to 'de-clutter' after the fact.

Out of sight is out of mind.

Can be done?
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"Be careful what you wish for" MrPlum. You may lose your audience! :wink: :D :D :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
buksida

Post by buksida »

I think it is possible with the software, I'll have a look whats available.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

hhfarang wrote:"Be careful what you wish for" MrPlum. You may lose your audience! :wink: :D :D :D
Lol. None of it matters in the grand scheme of things.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

ignore

Post by lindosfan1 »

Strikes me as a cowards way out, you should be able to stand up for what you say.
There are some posters here more than one get really upset if you disagree with them, especially if what you are saying is fact not drivel fiction or extreme ravings.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

I probably wouldn't use it because you'd then start living in a protected bubble and that wouldn't be the real forum, it would be HHAD La La/bubble land.

I like reading what people say to me or anyone else, good/bad/whatever, nobody gets it right all the time, good to learn and be tolerant of other views. If someone goes south then it's interesting to see it "put back on the tracks".

Also, it's a bit spineless IMHO.

Another point why I wouldn't use it is because I might miss something juicy to comment on, or miss out on learning about other posters stances/views/opinions in general.

Only my opinion but other posters may like the idea of "zapping" other members.

I can see how it would be useful on the forum you mentioned MrP, I bet that forum is full of monsters.

It's pretty mild on HHAD and if it ever isn't then it is soon "put right" so to speak.

:cheers:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Just an after thought buski, if you do it then you'd have to have it so that posters couldn't ignore Lev or you guys.

:lach:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

I also cannot see why a button would be useful in order to ignore certain contributors. You can do that yourself. Besides if you ignore posts of certain participants in a discussion it might easily lead to (even more) confusion and misunderstandings.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Most forums have a similar feature, and I agree that it can be useful, most often if a particular poster never posts anything other than abuse or rubbish; I can think of several posters I have encountered on the internet where this feature has been used. It would also be a good guide for the admin staff - if a poster has a large number of other posters ignoring them, then it might be time for them to be given the chop! :idea:
However the mods generally get to such posters beforehand anyway on HHAD.
steve w

Post by steve w »

most forums i am on have this feature which hardly antbody uses,in fact it gets ignored..."ker-ching" :D
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

lindosfan1 wrote:Strikes me as a cowards way out, you should be able to stand up for what you say.
There are some posters here more than one get really upset if you disagree with them, especially if what you are saying is fact not drivel fiction or extreme ravings.
'extreme ravings'. 'drivel'. 'coward'.

What you can't seem to see, is that in voicing your complaint that I am expressing 'extreme' views, YOU are expressing 'extreme views'. Calling me a coward is provocative and there should be no place for such talk on this forum. You are too old to be acting like a juvenile.

I have told you before to stop making this personal. Others are also starting to notice. My views are not extreme to me. They are shared by courageous health professionals and I back them up with credible sources. My delivery may be a bit too rich for your tastes but that is your problem not mine. You do not have to torment yourself by reading them. Others can disagree with me without resorting to abuse and I respond politely and support my arguments and I usually qualify my statements when we actually get into debate. But you are the only one who seems to have some personal vendetta.

I have made it clear on several occasions that my criticism of the health industry is in the system itself and those within it who are acting in their own self-interest at the expense of patients. There is nothing controversial about this view. Millions show they agree with such sentiments by voting with their feet and seeking alternatives. I made a blanket criticism of Psychiatry which, again, is shared by professionals willing to speak out and I provided some sources. Yet nothing seems to get through to you. I have nothing against individual Doctors & Nurses who I respect and have said so. This too seems to go completely over your head.

Many people disagree on this forum and they get over it. By chasing me around the board you are acting like a fool.

Grow up.
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Post by ozuncle »

Yes
You only live once.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Mr Plum

Post by lindosfan1 »

Read what I wrote. "There are some posters on here"
Not directed at you personally, as you wrote your reply, get your chip off of your shoulder and speaks sense, not extremist drivel.
You do not criticise the medical profrofession you slander all of them.
Psychiatry the dark art title then commentr on ALL psychiatrists you have done the same with doctors.
Alot of what you qwrite I read and absorb or ignore it is you insane rantings I disagree with.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Re: Mr Plum

Post by MrPlum »

lindosfan1 wrote:Read what I wrote. "There are some posters on here"
Not directed at you personally, as you wrote your reply, get your chip off of your shoulder and speaks sense, not extremist drivel.
You do not criticise the medical profrofession you slander all of them.
Psychiatry the dark art title then commentr on ALL psychiatrists you have done the same with doctors.
Alot of what you qwrite I read and absorb or ignore it is you insane rantings I disagree with.
Whatever makes you happy. You made your point. Now get over it.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Mr Plum,
Don't you think this world is censored enough let alone this forum surely you can use your inteligence wit and your worldly wise knowlage to tie hostile rude posters up in knots.

Some of what you post i find quite interesting, but not everything, but hay we are all different so we are entitled to form are own opinions and views and on that note, i think what you are suggesting is to all most make this an old boys club and not a public board and a little bit elitest, for example... he does not live here so i will use the button because his opinion does not count.

Rather than a negative why not think positive, everyone could have a status like the chilli for number of posts, if anyone feels that you have made an out standing post, informative, creative, funny, or from the heart that deserves recognition merit, then maybe you would see more quality posts.

I think we all can smell a troll a mile off, but yes some members do clash on a regular basis, for myself i have only crossed swords with you a little bit and one other, but i dont hold any grudge i would be happy to forget thats life.

Your rant above, you sound like another Jockey be proud of yourself and dont flame. just my opinion. :D

Kendo. :mrgreen:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.