Changes to Better the Forum

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Changes to Better the Forum

Post by GLCQuantum »

I'm not really that in the know of anything cyber related but what I do know from using dozens of websites on a daily basis and having friends talking to me of the ins and outs of a certain website trying to maintain its fan base while another new better(ish) website is overpowering it is... this website will unfortunately be dying a death pretty soon unless something radical happens. After however many years it has only managed to obtain a few hundred regular posters and a pretty dismall advertisment income.

Now, before you regulars start getting at me... I LOVE this site, I log on (look at the site) up to 20-30 times a day (yup, those guys that do that sure put the numbers up!) but there are a couple of other guys already working on a new Hua Hin site with the backing and finances of the powers that be (you know what I mean).

What I am basically saying is... What can be changed to keep this place alive or will it turn out as usual - some guy starts a good idea and then another rips off the idea, does a better job of it and reeps the reward for being an asshole with no original idea.

Anyways - Here's to HHF and the members of HHF for giving myself an uncountable amount of hours of great reading over the last 5 years or so. :cheers:

P.S Sorry I never really contribute much - I don't have anything constructive to add to threads most the time. Quite happy just gaining infomation and reading the mayhem. :cheers:
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Re: Changes to Better the Forum

Post by Spitfire »

GLCQuantum wrote:P.S Sorry I never really contribute much - I don't have anything constructive to add to threads most the time. Quite happy just gaining infomation and reading the mayhem. :cheers:
That's one of the problems, a forum is only as good as the contributions made from it's readers/members. Be a 'lurker' if you want but, I know from your previous posts when you do want to interact, that you have some half decent stuff to say, just branch-out and elaborate some.

Those that read but contribute nothing shouldn't complain imo. Without people posting then there is no forum and fair credit to those that do, as without them, there would be nothing to read.

Post and be damned, screw the sensitive crap, say what you think within the parameters/T&Cs and to hell with the gob-shite from the trolls.

As an aside, to all that read, sign up and speak your mind, no-one will mind and if it's FUBAR then you'll find out.
but there are a couple of other guys already working on a new Hua Hin site with the backing and finances of the powers that be (you know what I mean).
Means sweet FA imo, as you have to attract personalities and people that know what they are talking about, it's not Thai TV on this one and the powers that be cannot decide which site people log-on too. If fact, that might be a good reason for not logging-on to that site if it's an establishment sanctioned mouth-piece, doesn't fly really, all gas and no trousers..........what? Are we supposed to be impressed with that? Hmmmmmmmmm..........
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Means sweet FA imo, as you have to attract personalities and people that know what they are talking about, it's not Thai TV on this one and the powers that be cannot decide which site people log-on too. If fact, that might be a good reason for not logging-on to that site if it's an establishment sanctioned mouth-piece, doesn't fly really, all gas and no trousers..........what? Are we supposed to be impressed with that? Hmmmmmmmmm..........
Great reply and I hope your words end up being the way it works out. :cheers:
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

GLCQuantum wrote:this website will unfortunately be dying a death pretty soon unless something radical happens. After however many years it has only managed to obtain a few hundred regular posters and a pretty dismall advertisment income.
We welcome constructive criticism and suggestions for improvement but ignorant comments like the above can be dismissed. This forum has seen a steady growth in readership since it began almost ten years ago, now attracts over 2,200 visitors per day, and is enjoying partnership with bigger named advertisers such as the Bangkok Hospital.

Yes, we've seen hundreds of shiny new well funded Hua Hin websites come and go over the years, good luck to them, we have yet to see one that can better this forum in terms of daily content and readership.

Now, something constructive please if you want to keep this thread alive, telling us someone is building another Hua Hin website is just old news. What do you want to see here, on this forum, and why?
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Sorry, my wording should have been a lot different Lev. Just looking at some numbers. I am neither complaining nor can I add anything constructive to the topic in hand - as I said I'm pretty clueless on this one. The only thing I don't want to see is a group with large financial backing and 'power' to 'possibly' cause the demise of this site. Only hearsay at the moment so more of a talking point just now more than anything else.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

We welcome constructive criticism and suggestions for improvement but ignorant comments like the above can be dismissed.
Just reading back,,, bit harsh don't you think? Calling posters ignorsnt after a harmless post isn't going to help anything!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Although I have been reading this Forumn for a number of years I am as can be seen only a relatively moderate contributor, but as I am getting ready to retire to Hua Hin in a couple of months, I find a lot of interesting and useful subjects to read from those who know a lot more than I do about the ins and outs of living in LOS.

If I have one small complaint, it is the way threads start off on a really good subject and then slowly but surely become a completely new subject - still normally interesting to read, but when you are trying to search for some useful information, it makes it more difficult to find.

I have no experience of other forumns so I cant make any comparisons, but my overall view is "good work, keep it going"

Cheers
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

Dannie Boy wrote: If I have one small complaint, it is the way threads start off on a really good subject and then slowly but surely become a completely new subject - still normally interesting to read, but when you are trying to search for some useful information, it makes it more difficult to find.
That's pretty much the same as any conversation, online or otherwise.
Next time just stick one of these in . . . . . > :offtopic:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Boards evolve as people come and go. One of the downsides of a board becoming popular is that morons discover it and make a meal out of hi-jacking useful threads for off-topic gabfests with their buddies about personal issues. The bad often drive out the good.
This forum has been a gold mine of info for me since I joined and I've met some very good people here. Be vigilant and roll on, mods!
Happiness can't buy money
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

GLC, post away, no-one is going to jump on you unless you go all silly on everyone.

If you are going to retire here then just mix-it-up/get involved. The average 'Joe' is encouraged to get involved and there are many here that really do know what they are talking about.

Be a regular poster, say what thou wilt, it's not a crime to say what you think.

If you want info then there's so many that know the score in HH and beyond that check in on this forum, you wouldn't believe it. I sometimes ask what the deal is with some subjects too and get great responses too.

Nobody knows it all, despite what some say or pretend to know. It's easy to see who knows what they are talking about on this forum and who doesn't. Just 'get-it-on' and contribute what you know and others will throw down what they know............simple man.

Don't worry about 'Thread Drift', fairly common, it's OK, so long as the OP's question has been properly answered. :wink:

:thumb:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

If you are a member of this forum, use it! I will say in the time I have been a member I have had a lot of pleasure surfing HHAD and it will greatly enhance any visit you have, I have also met and made friends with lots of good people on here.

His Hin in the seven years I have been coming here has always been full of roumors and wanna be's as it's a developing place, this forum has been going ten years so credit where credits due in my opinion.

Kendo :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think you have to visualize HHF as a community with a core of regular posters who talk about anything and everything, and sometimes attracting newcomers to participate at that level. Not enough new blood who wish to get involved at that level though IMO.

Look at the post count of the core people. It gets to a point where we've drained ourselves of original ideas for long periods of time, and only function as the Answer Man when questions come up. You can't blame anyone for that, when you're empty, you're empty. That's why new people are needed to step up to the plate and perhaps set a goal of making 3 meaningful posts a day, with at least one a new topic.

As Spitfire and others have said, there are hundreds if not thousands of daily readers out there, many of them Hua Hin and Thailand residents who don't post much. Their ideas and thoughts are as good as anyone's, but they have to post them and get involved if they want the forum to prosper and grow. The old guard is literally getting old folks and we need reinforcements! :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

We are stuck with the thread drift problem, when we try to bring them back on topic people complain, when we leave them to drift people complain, we cannot win.

Lets use this thread to make constructive suggestions on improving the board, new functionality, content, ideas - what do you want to see here? Everything will be considered, many of our previous upgrades have been a result of member suggestions.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

As a business owner in Hua Hin, I considered long and hard as to whether to sponsor this site.

Generally I'm glad I did

There is no doubt that it accelerated my yahoo and google rankings which was my prime motivation, apart from attracting the local customers of course.
Spitfire wrote:
Be a regular poster, say what thou wilt, it's not a crime to say what you think.
:
Sorry Spitfire, I can't agree with this one (I'd like to :()

I don't hide behind an avatar so I have to be careful sometimes with what I say. Unfortunately freedom of speech is not a given right in Thailand and I have lost count of the number of times that I have spent composing some diatribe and then asking myself the two golden rules of Terry's posts:
1) By posting this - will it harm my family in any way
2) By posting this will it harm my business in any way.
If there is a remote chance of a yes in there somewhere - I delete.

Apart from that reservation, I think Pete is correct:
prcscct wrote:.....................
Look at the post count of the core people. It gets to a point where we've drained ourselves of original ideas for long periods of time, and only function as the Answer Man when questions come up. You can't blame anyone for that, when you're empty, you're empty. That's why new people are needed to step up to the plate and perhaps set a goal of making 3 meaningful posts a day, with at least one a new topic...............
Contributors come and go but the old die-hards are still around.

Long may the site survive - it is still the best allround Hua Hin Portal for info

So - a message to all you 'lurkers' and potential 'newbies' out there

Get posting :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Now I have to get back to work 8)
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Yes Terry, I agree with you. While you really should be free to say what you think, you can't always. Saying what you think could get you killed, or perhaps thrown into prison, not only in Thailand, but back in the west as well. I always have a giggle when people mention "democracy" and "freedom of speech" in the same sentence, because even in democratic countries such as the UK for example, you're only free to say what you want if it's deemed acceptable according to the laws of the land.

Anyway, :offtopic:

Lev, I think HHAD is a cracking forum, even when we get the occasional oddball come along. As far as drifting threads are concerned..........I think if someone starts a thread regarding visa questions for example, then no, we don't want people drifting off into the stray dogs problem as the two subjects have nothing in common. If on the other hand, someone starts a thread regarding general day to day life in Thailand, that could encompass a hugs amount of different subjects as it's more of a general discussion than anything else. If someone says something about food at the markets, then why not? Others will reply and respond accordingly.

As for requests........Not sure how popular gardening is, but perhaps a gardening section would be useful as I'm sure many members on here do a bit of gardening. I know a few members, myself included, try to grow a few fruits and veggies, so a gardening section would be an ideal place to exchange tips and advice. I also think there are non members who would quite possible find a gardening section useful. Just an idea. :thumb:

All in all.........great site :party:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact