Camera and photography thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Camera and photography thread

Post by Homer »

Homer wrote:One of the small micro four thirds (m43) models from Olympus or Panasonic with a prime (fixed length, non zoom) 20mm (35mm equivalent) lens.
hhfarang wrote:Also research and consider mirrorless cameras. They are near pocket size (cargo pocket easily), have an nice sized sensor, and interchangeable lenses.
For migrant's benefit: All of the Olympus and Panasonic m43 cameras are in the mirrorless interchangeable lens category.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Best tool I've found for visualizing camera size differences without going to a camera store: http://camerasize.com/
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Here's the smallest of the mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panaso ... f=mainmenu

I'd want to actually hold a camera and look at it before buying it so if you order one off the internet (Migrant) at least go look at it in a store first.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

I noticed migrant is in the US. The Canon Eos M with the 22mm F2 lens is a lot camera for the money, $379 (11,800 thb). It's a mirrorless, interchangeable lens camera with an APS sensor. When introduced last year few sold because the autofocus was way too slow and inaccurate, and the price was too high relative to the competition.

Both problems have been fixed. A firmware update in July improved the autofocus speed and accuracy to average for the category. The next month, after the forums were filled with happy posts from people who had acceptable autofocus, Canon slashed the price in half. They started flying off shelves. I bought one.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... _with.html

I love me a fast 35mm equivalent wide angle lens. The lens has received great reviews and user comments. It's backed by a proven APS sensor with good high ISO (low light) image quality. The camera and lens are all metal. They should be durable. After 700+ images on a 2 week trip I can say it's a good travel camera and an OK 'carry always'. The M + 22mm lens is on the big end of 'carry always' size but most of my shorts have large cargo pockets. I gladly put up with the size and weight when wandering around as the light fades at the end of the day because of the image quality. Manually setting a focus zone and using a stopped down aperture, It even works OK in street photography when one has barely enough time to notice, frame & shoot.

This is not a camera for shooting action or situations when you need to quickly make or change settings, though it has all the manual control most would want. I wouldn't have this as my primary camera. But considering the price it was my first choice for a new travel camera

Rumors are Canon will introduce the Eos M's successor Real Soon Now. They say the cost will be somewhere between the current close out price and last year's price. It's expected to be an all round better camera because Canon learned their lesson.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Thanks guys! Lots to think about! I'll go to the local store and look around!

Thanks for the advice!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Warning: Humor ahead. From dpreview m43 forum.
(FF = full frame sensor, m43 = micro four thirds, IQ = image quality)

Two friends, catching up over a couple of beers.

m43 user: I got rid of my old photo gear. Moved into a new system.

FF user: What system?

m43 user: m43.

FF user: Why?

m43 user: Good enough IQ for my needs, lighter weight & lower cost than other systems that met my IQ criteria.

FF user: IQ isn't good enough. You shoulda bought FF.

m43 user: FF ever let you down on IQ? Ever try to print large or crop small and find the IQ wasn't up to your pro standards?

FF user: Well ...

m43 user: Ever?

FF user: Yes, but those are isolated incidents.

m43 user: So why not shoot medium format? Then you're virtually assured IQ would always meet your standards.

FF user: WHAT? Medium format weighs and costs a ton. FF IQ is good enough for me.

m43 user: So, you shoot FF because IQ is good enough, it's light enough and the cost is affordable to you.

FF user: Yes.

m43 user: So why criticize other's choices of camera systems where the IQ is good enough for them?

FF user: Don't you understand? The m43 IQ isn't good enough. Pay attention!
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Definitions of photographic terms

Post by Homer »

Picture - A representation in two dimensions of something wearisome in three.

Aberration — Something that is wrong with the lens by design, as opposed to something wrong with the lens by accident of assembly or use.

Bokeh — The look of the picture in the parts where you can’t tell what you’re looking at.

Depth of Field — The part of an image that is in best focus, traditionally placed just in front of, or just behind, the subject See also, Autofocus

Glamour — A type of photography practiced by many and mastered by few, with the purpose of creating images of creatures not found in nature.

Weather resistant — A term that consumers falsely define as ‘weather proof’ and camera companies accurately define as ‘the warranty doesn’t cover water damage.’

Wedding Photography, n. — A complex form of photography consists first of making hysterical people appear calm and joyous, and later making drunk people appear pleasantly tipsy. The purpose is to create a beautiful album of images that statistically has a 54% chance of being ripped into little pieces within 5 years.

More at http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/11 ... dictionary
The author encouraged readers to add definitions in comments. So far the readers have demonstrated they either don't understand satire or can't produce it. Because it's a photography forum for hardware geeks, some are arguing the technical accuracy of the satire. Yes, I'm serious.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Migrant, in case you haven't decided yet:

"DPReview Recommends: Best Interchangeable Lens Cameras for Under $1000"

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/893905 ... title_0_15
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

hhfarang wrote:Migrant, in case you haven't decided yet:

"DPReview Recommends: Best Interchangeable Lens Cameras for Under $1000"

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/893905 ... title_0_15
Thanks! :cheers: I ended up going with the Nikon but haven't had a chance to play with it yet!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

A nice article in the New Yorker this week discusses the improvements in smartphone cameras and the possibility of them replacing regular cameras. Having used both I don't think phones can come close to a DSLR when shooting in low light, fast moving subjects or for telephoto.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/e ... meras.html
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Having used both I don't think phones can come close to a DSLR when shooting in low light, fast moving subjects or for telephoto.
I think the market that is going to really be hit is that for the smaller compact cameras that most people use for snapshots and I can see those pretty much disappearing altogether.
I can certainly imagine a time in the near future when you just have very high end cameras for the professional market and everyone else will use smartphones.
I don't know what the economics of the camera market is and how much revenue that is made from compact cameras and what effect that would have on some manufacturers survivability.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

I have an iPhone 4S that used to take great photos. Now, the exposer is low and the pictures appear to be underexposed. The picture just looks like it is in a "fog." Flash on or off makes no difference. I cannot find any where in the software to change settings. Any ideas? Thanks.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

SunandFun wrote:I have an iPhone 4S that used to take great photos. Now, the exposer is low and the pictures appear to be underexposed. The picture just looks like it is in a "fog." Flash on or off makes no difference. I cannot find any where in the software to change settings. Any ideas? Thanks.
Have you checked the lense itself isn't fogged up?
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

Pleng wrote:
SunandFun wrote:I have an iPhone 4S that used to take great photos. Now, the exposer is low and the pictures appear to be underexposed. The picture just looks like it is in a "fog." Flash on or off makes no difference. I cannot find any where in the software to change settings. Any ideas? Thanks.
Have you checked the lense itself isn't fogged up?
Yes, I've checked that. Some pictures do turn out ok, but it is random. Especially if I am taking many pictures in succession. This happens mostly in lower light situations. Like the flash sensor is not working. Or maybe not enough battery power. Do you know of any adjustments fro the camera on the iPhone 4S?
Thanks.
buksida

Post by buksida »

How to Take Camera Phone Pictures
http://photography.nationalgeographic.c ... ne-photos/

Very true, camera phones are notoriously crap at night as most of them only have a max ISO of 800.

Getting the right light will get you some good pics on a camera phone, here's one of the moon rise in Hua Hin:
C360_2014-01-15-18-12-54-773.jpg
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson