Camera and photography thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
FatBoy

Re: Camera thread

Post by FatBoy »

hhfarang wrote:FatBoy,

You're not wrong about that camera.

I just finished reading the full 34 page review here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicgf1/

It seems to be the perfect camera between "point and shoot" and "DSLR" in size, performance, and price, although the price is about the same as entry level DSLRs. I like the smaller size and that 20mm lens is incredible. There is also a zoom lens available that you didn't mention. I take it you're a purest.

We own two Panasonic Lumix cameras, both older 6 megapixel ones, my wife's purse point and shoot and my old (one of the first) superzoom 12x ones and they have always performed well for what they are. I also have an older Canon pocket camera (also 6mp) that I've been happy with. I've always considered Canon and Panasonic my favorite two brands of digital camera offerings, and before the current ones I owned a Fuji (p&s), Olympus (superzoom), and a Nikon (p&s).

When I can afford a new camera I will certainly consider this one or one of it's successors.
I am aware of the various lenses available for this camera.

Take a look at this link http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/d ... ct/g1.html......................

............... and then there's also, via an adapter, ALL the legacy lens range !

Plenty to choose from.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Must have a test run with one of those having read the review.

Regarding taxes I have been stung a few times on underwater housing equipment. Fed-ex and UPS caned us on returned repairs, which are not subject to duty. Last one was a 6000 Bt set of electronics and they requested 10% tax which is 600 Bt. Bill was 22000 Bt :banghead: Could have been because they saw the company name on the paperwork. Had to pay the money into a personal account.

Crazy 88
FatBoy

Post by FatBoy »

Just thought I'd share this.

Messing about in Photoshop my intent with these dying chrysanthemums was to create a "pastel painting" type result.

I'd applied numerous layers and effects when I inadvertently hit a button (previously unknown to me) "APPLY"

God only knows where this image came from but I kind of like the effect - seems to "rejuvenate" the dying!

Canon 5DMk11 - 100mmf2.8 macro
Attachments
_MG_8344.jpg
_MG_8343.jpg
buksida

Post by buksida »

My 'nifty fifty' arrived today, eBay from Hong Kong - no tax and 40% cheaper than buying in Thailand ...
DSC06985.jpg
DSC06985.jpg (76.82 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
This baby has a razor thin depth of field at f1.8 and focusing is a bitch ...
DSC_4046.jpg
Will have some fun with that Bokeh goodness out and about this weekend!

Also found some fantastic software for photo editing called Adobe Lightroom 3, its like having the camera on your computer, all it wont do is take the shot!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
FatBoy

Re: Camera and photography thread

Post by FatBoy »

You probably already know this but LR 3 is best when using RAW. Amazing software. Superb noise reduction availability. And brilliant Library for storing images. I've been using it for 5 years now.

Nifty fifty looks good. My favorite focal length.

Glad eBay came good!

p.s. A popular technique with fast glass is to de-focus a subject for effect.
This is an image of some very tiny candle lights hanging from the trees in HH. Manual de-focusing.
Schneider Lens on my GF1 - 100 iso 1/500th @ f/0.95.
Attachments
_1100684.jpg
buksida

Post by buksida »

Having some fun with this lens now, here is a shot of the moonlight over the ocean taken last night:
Ocean moonlight
Ocean moonlight
The squid cart:
Dried squid
Dried squid
Lamps from the squid boat:
DSC_4499.jpg
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
dubchick
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dubchick »

This is a long shot, but I'm hoping "Fatboy" will read this....
I'm in need of a photographer when we visit Hua Hin in October to get married. Looking at the photos you've posted in various threads I'm really hoping you can help me out!

Because I'm such a newbie on here I can't send PM's yet, but please Fatboy if you read this PM me :)
wiki
Amateur
Amateur

Post by wiki »

I've a D90 and a few lenses, I bought most in China so the price was a tad better.
I recently bought a 10.5mm lens in MBK, the official Nikon store wanted almost TWICE as much as the non-official store on the floor above.

I have also discovered that a little point and shoot camera, such as Nikon's Coolpix range can also produce stunning pictures, it's just a bit more awkward going through the menus, but these little cameras don't need a minor course on using them if like me you leave the SLR in the supboard for a few months.

Happy snapping y'all!
buksida

Post by buksida »

This one has grown on me ... geddit?
Lichen moment
Lichen moment
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

]Looks like a nice few bits of kit and a lot of talent you guys have. Never used ebay until today and "won" my first auction. Will have a look at cameras for that kind of saving. :D

Found this little critter when crawling around the garden taking pics for a website

.Crazy 88

critter small.jpg
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

The Long Haired General and I are both interested in taking up photography as a bit of a hobby - unfortunately know next to zero on the finer points! :oops: :oops:
We're basically part of the ''Put it in Auto, point and click'' brigade of camera buffs! :D

I had the opportunity to buy a 2nd hand Canon EOS 350D for a decent price, which I've gone ahead and done. The purchase was for the body only, and I'm looking at getting some lenses.

The question being what would be the best lenses and why (remembering we're both novices).

Close up photography and some wide angle stuff would certainly be a main part of what we would like.

18-55mm seems to pretty much be a standard?
What would the advantage be of something like a 100-300mm lens? What COULDN'T you take with this lens?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Stumbled across this site on the EOS, which has bags of info. - whether it's correct or not though!! :wink: Anyway, has certainly opened my eyes on a few things.

http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/lenses.html
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
buksida

Post by buksida »

pharvey wrote: 18-55mm seems to pretty much be a standard?
What would the advantage be of something like a 100-300mm lens? What COULDN'T you take with this lens?
Those are the two lenses I started off with, though it was an 18-70mm. You can do pretty much everything with them, wide angle, portraits, macro, wildlife, action.
Shot on macro with Sigma 100-300mm, f7, ISO 200.
Shot on macro with Sigma 100-300mm, f7, ISO 200.
Once you get a feel for the camera settings, lighting and different results from those lenses try a prime lens, they're a lot sharper - that 50mm f1.8 I recently acquired only cost 3,900 baht (on eBay) and I'm having a lot of fun experimenting with it (as you've seen above!).

Here is a handy resource: http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/lenses
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

pharvey wrote:
We're basically part of the ''Put it in Auto, point and click'' brigade of camera buffs! :D
If you learn one thing beyond Auto, learn how to set white balance, IMHO. The camera will make a best guess as to what is white, but if you tell you're outside under sunny sky, or under cloudy sky, or inside with tungsten lights, or florescent lights or are using flash, then the things you see as white are more likely to be white in the photograph.

The second thing is to learn to remember to reset white balance after you're done or you'll end up with set of blue or yellow tint photos. Been there, done that.
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

I know I have mentioned this camera before but check it out http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-FinePi ... 764&sr=8-1

Best point and shoot on the market at the moment.

Better hurry though as I suspect they will sell out quickly!!!
www.35mmview.com