True Fiber Optic Broadband

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Pleng
Legend
Legend

True Fiber Optic Broadband

Post by Pleng »

(quoted from another thread)
JW wrote:
True have been round this week offering Fibre optic in some areas of town with 10MB, must be better than the 3BB we use now! See you again soon.

Cheers,

JW
JW do you have any information on what areas this covers? This could be quite interesting...
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: True Fiber Optic Broadband

Post by Super Joe »

Yeah, I'm waiting for this badly, too. One of the lads in the Night Market shop, who seems ok compared to the others, said it's currently installed Southwards up to Soi 72. How far West I haven't a scooby. He said the plans are that Hua Hin generally, or I guess as much as the intend covering, should be done by end of this year. Apparently.

It seems a very good deal, a cheap box then 600 Baht/month (5GB of 3G maybe!?), it's advertised as 200Mbp I asked him what people were really achieving, he said 38meg!?!? If nothing else, it should shake up the other knob-jockey's.

As an aside, I've just started achieving 10meg via True on my mobile now that I've installed 'one of BaaBaa's' custom roms :laugh:

:cheers:
SJ
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Super Joe wrote: It seems a very good deal, a cheap box then 600 Baht/month (5GB of 3G maybe!?), it's advertised as 200Mbp I asked him what people were really achieving, he said 38meg!?!? If nothing else, it should shake up the other knob-jockey's.
Well; 38Meg sounds nice, but is it going to stay that way when the amount of users start piling up?!

Also, is it going to get overloaded on the evenings and weekends like the current connections do?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Pleng wrote:(quoted from another thread)
JW wrote: True have been round this week offering Fibre optic in some areas of town with 10MB, must be better than the 3BB we use now! See you again soon.
Cheers,
JW
JW do you have any information on what areas this covers? This could be quite interesting...
I would not be forking out big monthly charges for this without knowing a bit more about it.
3BB already have fibre optic in my area (Soi 6), and it has been so for around 18 months.
Where does the fibre optic run too? I think that you will find that it just connects into the main copper trunk route, and as such is still subject to that bandwidth.

The first problem with the 3BB connection is that you cannot use a fax machine over the system. If you need to have a fax you will have to retain your copper line connection and run another for the fibre. If you elect to just have the fibre connection it still uses the copper line from your house to the pole box connection.

Also, your conventional telephone will not work, but 3BB did supply an IP phone as part of the deal. I am not sure, but seem to recall that they charged 1,500 Baht to connect it at the time, and the monthly fee did not change, but the number was changed.

I am not there all the time, but when I am I have found that it is not much faster than the old connection, but it very rarely drops out, and that is also the opinion of several neighbours. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
wpcoe
Professional
Professional

Post by wpcoe »

I got one of the True DOCSIS fliers in my mailbox on Soi 80 last month, so guess it's available in my 'hood.

Does anybody here have experience with it in Hua Hin?

I currently have 3BB's 9Mbps plan for B900/month. Would I see a speed improvement with True's 10Mbps plan for B699/month? Would it be worse? Down times?
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Sorry for the bump. My initial 12 month contract with 3BB is up soon so I'm wondering if anybody has any more info on this? Unfortunately TRUE's 'English' website is pretty much as useless as they come.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

wpcoe wrote:I got one of the True DOCSIS fliers in my mailbox on Soi 80 last month, so guess it's available in my 'hood.

I currently have 3BB's 9Mbps plan for B900/month. Would I see a speed improvement with True's 10Mbps plan for B699/month? Would it be worse? Down times?

Your price for 9Mbps is way different to mine, I have 3BB 10Mbps at B632/month and the service is excellent. I used to be with TOT but that was a load of crap which never delivered the promised Mbps and was continually going off line.

All systems are only as good as the weakest link, if you have a poor copper connection from the FO patch panel you will be limited by the copper link regardless of what the FO can deliver.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

StevePIraq wrote:
wpcoe wrote:I got one of the True DOCSIS fliers in my mailbox on Soi 80 last month, so guess it's available in my 'hood.

Your price for 9Mbps is way different to mine, I have 3BB 10Mbps at B632/month and the service is excellent. I used to be with TOT but that was a load of crap which never delivered the promised Mbps and was continually going off line.

All systems are only as good as the weakest link, if you have a poor copper connection from the FO patch panel you will be limited by the copper link regardless of what the FO can deliver.
I believe that 3BB have recently upgraded their packages and whereas previously it was about 600 baht for a 6MB supply, for the same price you now get 10MB. That's what I have now and agree that it seems to be fairly good with good download speeds most of the time and whilst early days (6 weeks since being connected) not one supply problem.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

StevePIraq wrote:Your price for 9Mbps is way different to mine, I have 3BB 10Mbps at B632/month and the service is excellent.
Please define 'service'. I've been waiting for 3 weeks for an engineer. I've hastened him/her, but have been told that I have to wait my place in the queue.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Dannie Boy wrote:
StevePIraq wrote:

I believe that 3BB have recently upgraded their packages and whereas previously it was about 600 baht for a 6MB supply, for the same price you now get 10MB. That's what I have now and agree that it seems to be fairly good with good download speeds most of the time and whilst early days (6 weeks since being connected) not one supply problem.
My connection is fantastic 90% of the time. Unfortunately the 10% of the time it's NOT fantastic is from around 5pm-10pm Saturday and Sunday, which are the only time I'd actually really appreciate a decent connection to watch the formula 1!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My issue with them has come via Thai Expat TV. The service degenerates from time to time (normally when there is something I really want to watch). Thai Expat TV have stated:
We have checked using your IP address and there is data packet loss between Bangkok and Hua Hin. This is not an exclusive issue to our service, but any service that you are reliant on for high volumes of data transfer.

Last month we identified several clients issues with poor service in the Hua Hin region. All were using 3BB as their internet service provider, all logged complaints and have had a better experience since.

The poor service is 100% related to 3BB and their inability to run a successful network between Bangkok & Hua Hin. If the problem was on our end, as it was last week. We would be very upfront and transparent to this fact.

You can try to reboot your modem & computer. But complaining to 3BB would be the best course of action for the long term.
and
We understand your frustration with the internet service provider. However, there is not much we can do on our end to rectify your issue with them. There is certainly issues with 3BB and Hua Hin region regarding packet loss, this is all we can really advise you on I'm afraid.

The only real way to get through to them is have a Thai national speak with them to see if they can resolve the data loss issue. You can read the Wiki page regarding this problem here >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_loss
Although 3BB is fine for general browing, ask it to do something a little harder, and it goes 'tilt'.

As I said - 3 weeks and still waiting!!

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

I have exactly the same problem on TOT, especially evenings and weekends - its that over-subscription issue again.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I assume that you mean over subscription to the Internet Provider, as opposed to Thai Expat TV.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yes, all the providers here get overloaded at peak times and weekends.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

buksida wrote:Yes, all the providers here get overloaded at peak times and weekends.
When this occurs is the slowdown relative? Or do all connection grind down to the same paced crawl? ie if I were to upgrade to the 16Meg package would I experience a better speed at these peak times, or would it only be increased when the connection isn't overloaded?