True Fiber Optic Broadband

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Re: True Fiber Optic Broadband

Post by Pleng »

Hmm I didn't have to pay a year up front when I joined 3BB, but that was back in February. I think we can pretty much expect the company to go down the pan with that policy!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

However the downside is you now have to pay a year in advance so if the service is not up to standard you are stuck with it.
I would venture to say that this is just a bluff, probably instigated by that charming manager of 3BB.
You can not believe what any of them tell you, especially some girl in the office.

My daughter has True in Bangkok and when she went to pay her last months bill the girl told her that she could only pay with a credit card, that they no longer take cash!
As my daughter does not have a credit card she walked off and left without paying. Next thing the accounts department called wanting to know why the bill was not paid, so she told them and they said: "crap, you can pay it anyway you want".
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've had 3BB for over a year now and can't fault the service or responses. Moved recently and was told it would take up to 5 days..... they were there the next morning. When I've called 1530 with a problem, it's either fixed over the phone, they call me back within the hour or if that doesn't work, an engineer appears sometimes the same day but never later than the following morning!
I've heard a lot of bad reports about the running of their office. I've never been there and have always used their stand on the 3rd floor in Market Village. The two girls there are polite and efficient.
Regarding the 1 year up front. I've never heard of that being demanded. However, when you order initially, you are signing up for a 1 year contract. The penalty of cancelling within that time is having to pay for the router which I believe is 3k+ baht.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Hi All, I'm new on here and this is my first real post on the forum. And I'm afraid it's a bit of a rant about 3BB.

First, though, as the thread topic is True Fiber Optic Broadband, just for info, this week True have been around cabling up our soi in Smor Phrong area. And it might be tempting to switch to them.

As for 3BB and speed test mentioned in earlier posts, I think there's a bit of chicanery going on here. I signed up for Witopia VPN back in April and it was OK (not spectacular) for US, UK and Oz connections. Now after coming back after being in Oz for a couple of months it is really crap (can I say that on here?). I just tried some speedtestdotnet tests around the planet (Sydney, LA, MN, London) and they all achieve 40 ms ping and 10 Mbps download, exactly the same as to Bangkok. And Kigali (Rwanda) gave me 10 Mbps download as well (although only 250 ms ping). This is just plainly fraudulent, if not illegal it's ethically wrong for them to be doing this (IMHO).

I tried another net speed site (testmydotnet, US based) and in fact I only get < 1 Mbps download in their browser based tests. This is more believable to me. Bandwidth from Thailand to the world is pathetically low, relatively speaking and I'd be surprised if it's increasing enough to cover the increased use of smartphones and tablets (even among HH forum users) and, of course, internet filtering. OK, switching to True won't change that (checked in testmy's database), but they might be less dishonest.

Anyway, nice to be here :D
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I don't even think it's physically possible with today's technology to achieve pings to the UK in 40ms!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Round trip to London is approx 19000 km. Even light could only do 12000 km in 40 ms in a vacuum. Quantum networking?
Can't trust speedtest here anymore I think. Just out of interest what result can you get? And what ISP?
Cheers.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I usually get between 250 and 400ms round trip to blighty, depending on who I'm pinging. I use 3BB but am looking forward to being out of contract soon!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

250 ms would be a little slow I think. Download and streaming speeds are what I'm interested in. I look forward to seeing how you do with a new ISP. googledotcodotuk is 70 ms ping just now.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Ping latency doesn't affect download speeds or streaming. It's main effect is noticed when browsing the web, where pages are full of requests to various other documents and media.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Agreed. Still, it's usually an indication that downloads are going to be slow. My initial point was that 3BB (or Triple T) seem to cheat on the speedtest results to other countries making it look good when it isn't. Anyhow, I look forward to reports from you on how good your next ISP is compared to 3BB, if you change. :)
wpcoe
Professional
Professional

Post by wpcoe »

wpcoe wrote:Hmmm. I just came across a True web page ad (http://trueonline.truecorp.co.th/packag ... ส์_72_ช่อง):
True_internet+catv.gif
Am I reading correctly that they have a package for B899/month for 15Mbps/1.5Mbps DOCSIS service PLUS the 72-channel Knowledge TrueVisions package? What is that column with B200/month?
To satisfy my curiosity, I went to the True shop in Market Village Friday morning and verified that the B899 package is for 15Mb/1.5Mb DOCSIS (cable) internet service and includes free 72 channels CATV. It isn't exactly the TrueVisions Knowledge package, but pretty close. From a quick scan of the channels offered, I think the only potential English language channels might be Channel V (music video) and "FOX." (They didn't know which Fox Network channel it is. I suspect Fox News?)

Anyway, they are coming out Monday morning to string wires, drill some holes in the wall and install a CATV box (a B500 deposit to be paid to the installer) and a free WiFi modem. I was required to sign a one-year contract in the True shop and told to give the installer two copies of my passport photo page and two copies of my blue book. Since I rent, she said it would be okay to substitute two copies of my rental contract.

I was surprised that for the basic channels I would even need a CATV converter box, but I guess all TrueVisions packages do? The cheap Hua Hin Cable TV system doesn't require a signal conversion, nor did the basic Jomtien Cable system when I lived over there -- in both cases, the cable just plugs directly into the TV.

My neighbors were surprised to learn that TrueVision now has cable TV on my soi. They all have the standard red True satellite dishes out front.

I'm going to keep my 3BB B900 13Mb/1Mb service for a few months to make sure True Internet service is dependable. I've had 3BB/TT&T ADSL for eight years, and have been quite satisfied with them.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

wpcoe wrote:I'm going to keep my 3BB B900 13Mb/1Mb service for a few months to make sure True Internet service is dependable. I've had 3BB/TT&T ADSL for eight years, and have been quite satisfied with them.
Many weeks on, including hasteners, I'm still waiting for a 3BB engineer. True is starting to look very attractive.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:
wpcoe wrote:I'm going to keep my 3BB B900 13Mb/1Mb service for a few months to make sure True Internet service is dependable. I've had 3BB/TT&T ADSL for eight years, and have been quite satisfied with them.
Many weeks on, including hasteners, I'm still waiting for a 3BB engineer. True is starting to look very attractive.
It seems very strange BB that you are not getting any response from 3BB, whenever I've had a problem, they tend to deal with it quickly, often within hours of the call. When you speak to them, can't you get any commitment out of them?
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

WPCoe : Keep us informed about the progress of True please. I asked last week and was told True are laying a cable (not a euphanism) from town centre to Takiab at the end of this month and currently cannot provide me with True in Condochain, a little South of you in Soi 80. But should be able to provide wireless internet some time next month when installation is complete.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote:
Big Boy wrote:
It seems very strange BB that you are not getting any response from 3BB, whenever I've had a problem, they tend to deal with it quickly, often within hours of the call. When you speak to them, can't you get any commitment out of them?
Previous calls I had with them were dealt with efficiently.

My issue is the lost packets issue as identified by Thai Expat TV, and claimed to be unique to 3BB. I think I'm being ignored because the problem is too big for them to fix. Everything else works fine. Several unworkable workarounds have been suggested, but no attempt has been made to fix the problem.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18