Which Mobile Phone?

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
JD
Legend
Legend

Re: Which Mobile Phone?

Post by JD »

I purchased two Galaxy Mega 5.8's, one each for me and the Mrs. They are both duos, dual SIM slots which are the new micro SIM card. I had to go to another shop to get our old Sim card info and existing phone numbers transferred onto the new smaller Sim cards, everything worked fine.

Purchased from top floor at Market Village, nearly everybody had the price set at 12,500 baht. Samsung list the price at 11,900 so I headed to their shop first. Manager was adamant (arms folded) it was 12,500 even if I purchased two. Lady in the shop next door said 11,900 OK, so she got the order. She then filled out a form, went next door and handed it to the Samsung manger, after a bit of yelling at each other she came back with two phones and set both up for me.

So far, so good with the phone, the big screen makes emails, texts and general online stuff so much easier. This is my first real smart phone so I am still learning, my Mrs had one before so for her this phone seems so easy to use.
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

I find it interesting that a Moderator can be embroiled in a 'spat' with no consequences.

When I have 'engaged' other members I have been warned, threatened with suspension and told to stop being childish.

I'm sure the 'committee', Buksida, Lev and Big Boy, can enlighten me as to what's what.

No doubt you'll invite me to read a set of ambiguous rules - I would prefer, however, to hear it from the heart.
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

nanyang

Moderators use the forum far more as members than we do wearing our 'Mod Badges' as it were.

Any member is welcome to engage in discussion with us as fellow members of the forum, discussions can sometimes get embroiled and somewhat heated, as long as they don't get to the name calling, insults or worse stage, moderators should not step in.

I will let Big Boy answer for himself, but please :offtopic:
Per Angusta In Augusta.
www.hamandbacon.co.th
zeitgeist
Professional
Professional

Post by zeitgeist »

I'm still thinking about a new phone for me...but...recently purchased the Samsung Grand Duos for the 'worse half', as its her first proper smartphone (previous using Nokia C3) its been a bit of a learning curve. It became a necessity to have a better phone as so many Thai people want to send information via the Line app instead of old-fashioned email. Impressed so far, works quickly and smoothly. Although I will say in my opinion, those see-through scratch-proof screen guard thingy's make the touch-screens less sensitive on all phones and there's no way in hell I'm having a phone that can't fit in my pocket!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

JD wrote:I will let Big Boy answer for himself, but please :offtopic:
Thanks JD, to keep the thread on track, I have responded to nanyang by PM.

:offtopic:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

JD wrote:nanyang

Moderators use the forum far more as members than we do wearing our 'Mod Badges' as it were.

Any member is welcome to engage in discussion with us as fellow members of the forum, discussions can sometimes get embroiled and somewhat heated, as long as they don't get to the name calling, insults or worse stage, moderators should not step in.
And long may this continue. The mods add to the forum and are, in my opinion and I believe most members opinions, are doing a great job. This is what makes the difference between this and at least one other forum who should not be mentioned. Thanks :D
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
buksida

Post by buksida »

JD wrote:I purchased two Galaxy Mega 5.8's, one each for me and the Mrs. They are both duos, dual SIM slots which are the new micro SIM card. I had to go to another shop to get our old Sim card info and existing phone numbers transferred onto the new smaller Sim cards, everything worked fine.

Purchased from top floor at Market Village, nearly everybody had the price set at 12,500 baht. Samsung list the price at 11,900 so I headed to their shop first. Manager was adamant (arms folded) it was 12,500 even if I purchased two. Lady in the shop next door said 11,900 OK, so she got the order. She then filled out a form, went next door and handed it to the Samsung manger, after a bit of yelling at each other she came back with two phones and set both up for me.

So far, so good with the phone, the big screen makes emails, texts and general online stuff so much easier. This is my first real smart phone so I am still learning, my Mrs had one before so for her this phone seems so easy to use.
That's the model I'm looking at, list price is 11,900 as you say. How is the battery life with that huge screen? How responsive is it? Have read that it has more RAM than the Grand but less than the S4.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

No problem with the battery, the Mrs is on hers day and night and everything seems OK, mind we both have our chargers plugged in next to the bed and always recharge overnight. It seems very responsive to me but as I said this is my first real smartphone so have nothing to compare with. Your welcome to come and play next time you pass.
Per Angusta In Augusta.
www.hamandbacon.co.th
buksida

Post by buksida »

Still looking to get one of these, ( Galaxy Mega 5.8 ), all sold out here in Bangsaphan, can anyone tell me if they're available in Hua Hin?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

How does the two card system work. Can I insert a Thai card and a n. America card and use in both countries
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

oakdale160 wrote:How does the two card system work. Can I insert a Thai card and a n. America card and use in both countries
You mean dual SIM cards?

Yes Handsets with 2 SIM cards allow you to use two SIM cards from different vendors and different countries at the same time. Whether the SIM cards allow use outside of their home country depends on if you have roaming enabled with your provider.

This information relates to "dual sim/dual standby" handsets. If you're looking at any of the Android dual SIM devices, they will be of this type. If you're looking at a cheapy dual SIM device on ebay or whatever, then make sure it is a "dual sim/dual standby", otherwise you may end up with a device which can hold two SIM cards, but only one can be in use at any time.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Probably been mentioned before in the umpteen zillion pages prior but, I'm extremely happy with the Galaxy S4. If you take lots of photos or videos it has full HD. Very fast when using the internet. Lots of fancy gizmos on there which are just that - fancy gizmos that you don't really need. All in all though a great phone, nice and slim, lightweight and robust (dropped her many a time now :roll: ).

Around 20k when I got it but probably a fait bit cheaper now.

:cheers:
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

GLCQuantum wrote:Probably been mentioned before in the umpteen zillion pages prior but, I'm extremely happy with the Galaxy S4. If you take lots of photos or videos it has full HD. Very fast when using the internet. Lots of fancy gizmos on there which are just that - fancy gizmos that you don't really need. All in all though a great phone, nice and slim, lightweight and robust (dropped her many a time now :roll: ).

Around 20k when I got it but probably a fait bit cheaper now.

:cheers:
Nope, same price as it was when you purchased it. I was looking for a new phone because my I Phone 5 fell out my pocket, chose the S4 mini, S4 regular screen is just too big for me to type on one hand and thats the only way I want to use a phone, one handed. Used Andriod about 5 years ago, was a piece of crap, apps crashing, screen locking up, thought by now they would have fixed the problems but they have not. Guess you get what you pay for, 14,000 for this S4 Mini. Might make a good paperweight cause it certainly does not make a good mobile phone. Will be buying another I Phone 5 when I get back to the U.S in March.
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

The best Mobile you can buy at the minute, bang for buck, is the Moto G without a shadow of a doubt.

If you want something a bit more expensive the HTC One is about the best available, I've got it, Hardware and Software are beautiful. I haven't even even bothered rooting as HTCs software (Sense 5) is almost perfect.

Moto G is thoroughly recommended though.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

PS, is the Moto G available in Thailand and how much?

My Missus is in Thailand atm and I'm not and she needs a mobile.