Spyware - grrrr

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
buksida

Post by buksida »

The biggest culprit for spyware has got to be Internet Explorer, it amazes me that people still use it. Since I switched to Firefox instances of spyware on my machine (both home and work) have dropped by at least 90%

Get Firefox

This article has a few tips:
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/compu ... fect_x.htm

SP2 doesnt make a difference, it will install more security features to your machine and block a bunch of stuff that you may not want blocked. I'm still on SP1 albeit with a kickass corporate firewall and never have problems with spyware or viruses.

DON'T use IE

DON'T download any stupid toolbars

DON'T install anything prompted from activex or any other popup from IE

DON'T open unknown attachments
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

It's seeming to go from bad to worse.
On start up I get a message "the system failed to initiate properly (0xc000005). Mind you, that's always been there since the problem. I should have told you all that.
I've tried to play music and it definitely dosn't like it - the menu comes up and then error on mmjb.exe. I'm not going to try it again as the last time - 15 mins ago - the whole computer crashed and came back with the message "the system has recovered from a serious error".
The only plus point is that I now have only one of those red boxes rather than four. Heaven knows where the other three went.
Help please. :cheers:
buksida

Post by buksida »

To be honest with you mate, I'm surprised that machine has lasted as long as it has which is well over five years.

It has half of the memory recommended as a minimum to run XP so its not surprising that it crashes all the time.

Constantly trying to fix that thing is like trying to build a swimming pool with a spoon or bail out a boat that has more holes in it that Internet Explorer.

The hardware is on its last legs, maybe its time to give up the ghost and get your hand in your pocket for a new one. You can get a bottom end cheapo machine for about 10 grand nowdays:

http://www.atec.co.th/general_pc.html
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

buksida wrote:To be honest with you mate, I'm surprised that machine has lasted as long as it has which is over five years.

It has half of the memory recommended as a minimum to run XP so its not surprising that it crashes all the time.

The hardware is on its last legs, maybe its time to give up the ghost and get your hand in your pocket for a new one.
Geezer,
The only time its crashed was today and through trying to play music off the D drive for the first time. Everything was hunkydory before that.
I understand that my box of tricks is coming to an end, but these messages could infect anyone.
Has anyone else got any suggestions before I bin this wonderful piece of equipment that has seen me through thick and thin for all these years?
billseymour

Post by billseymour »

I had similar problems last April, culminating in that same "the system has recovered from a serious error" message, and the accompanying blue screen of death.

I tried all the options that have been suggested to you, plus a few more suggested by the Dell service department, but in the end nothing worked, and my only way forward was to reinstall the operating system (which reformats the drive).

I approached this process with considerable trepidation, but to my surprise I discovered that with XP it is actually quite simple. Reinstalling XP and all my drivers took rather less than two hours, and while reinstalling my application programs and data took longer, I have had no problems whatsoever since that time.

You can find full instructions on the Microsoft website.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Thankyou Bill,
I'm not giving up yet. :cheers:
PeteB
Professional
Professional

Post by PeteB »

lomu

KB826939 is the rollup of security stuff for XP SP1 - not a good idea to get rid of it. As you say, the other was the maliciuos software removal tool.

I am surprised that you were able to un-install KB826939 and suspect that that is what is making the thing so unstable (in addition to the other problems).

If you think that your machine has enough oomph, then billyseymour's advice is good. Go the whole hog and update with all the latest security patches which have come out since XP SP2, , switch on the Windows firewall, if you run behind a router configure the firewall on there, get your anti spyware running plus NAV or similar and XP (including i.e. 6 plus its security patches) will be fine.

Go for it!

:cheers:

Peter
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

lomuamart
im sure you havnt mentioned all the dodgy sites you look at ,,
stopping may help with your pop up problem and infetions ,,
other than that get some penicillin :thumb:
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Lomu,

Back up your data includng Internet favourites. Format your hard disk and re-install XP with the latest SP.

If that works good, if not it's time for you to dip your hand in your pocket. You can probably use your existing H/W. You may just get away with a new MB and memory. Buy double the amount of memory that you think you need.

Do nbot installany software that you do not absolutely need.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
buksida

Post by buksida »

Guess wrote:Lomu,
Back up your data includng Internet favourites. Format your hard disk and re-install XP with the latest SP.

If that works good, if not it's time for you to dip your hand in your pocket. You can probably use your existing H/W. You may just get away with a new MB and memory. Buy double the amount of memory that you think you need.
Mate, I did this about a month ago, trust me the hardware is on its last legs, I know the history of this machine. The CD drive is shot, only one RAM slot on the mainboard works and that will only take an SD 64 module. None of the PCI slots work and the AGP port will not let us change the archaic SiS card thats in there. Previous HDD went south which I replaced with a new one along with the PSU. If you know where to get a new MoBo for a 6 year old Pentium III chip please let me know (I have a few spare ones lying around).

So all these marvellous solutions that people keep posting will not work on this machine for very long. Drdave had a point about surfing habits too :twisted:

A format is a temporary solution anyway. I think lomu knows this, he's just hanging on ...
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

By the skin of my teeth.
Got back from the beach an hour ago and tried to get Firefox. That was just slow for 15 mins or so. Ok now. Then tried IE and was presented with a horrible message that said that it was infected - guess what - and someone knew everything I was doing on here.
Big deal, as long as the encrypted internet banking details aren't shown (that's not a joke. I read bad stuff about this before. Hackers etc).
Mind you, there's not much in the bank and with the prospect of wedding rings and sin sod to take care of early next month, I'm praying that this piece of s**t gets me through the next two months.
As Buksida has said, the box has had more operations of a major nature than the bionic man.
Still, thanks for all your advice. I'm confident that it will continue to perform in the foreseeable future.
Buksida, do you want want any spares before I chuck it away? They're going cheap :thumb:
buksida

Post by buksida »

You're not seriously telling me you want to sell bits from that old crate?

I already have two boxes of spares from machines made in 1982, I don't need anymore!

:neener:
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Lomu,

I have just checked out the Natural History and Science museum's web sites in London England. They may be interested in your donation of parts from your PC.

Why don't you just stick your little short arms into your very deep pockets and buy a new one. There are at least three people contributing to this site that have sufficient knowledge to detail the sepcificattion for you.

As always, the best of luck to you. Do not hesitate to come to me for educated professional advice.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

lomuamart wrote: They're going cheap :thumb:
Sorry Lomu, but to correct you on your spelling, it is actually "cheep".
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Guess, what about :

"There are at least three people contributing to this site that have sufficient knowledge to detail the sepcificattion for you."

What the heck is SEPCIFICATTION ???