The scourge of Facebook

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Big Boy

Re: The scourge of Facebook

Post by Big Boy »

Top posts as they call it is what Facebook wants you to see. You have to wade through their posts to find what you night want to see.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I used to always get top posts, and had to change it to recent. About 2 months ago it changed and now always has recent posts. Perhaps it took into account I always changed it and adjusted??
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The point is, within groups they've taken away the option to change. YOU WILL READ WHAT FACEBOOK WANTS YOU TO READ.

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:00 pm YOU WILL READ WHAT FACEBOOK WANTS YOU TO READ.
I don't see why anyone is surprised at this - it is how the platform is designed and why it is a scourge!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It's a surprise because until now, you've been given a choice.

Points 41; Position 18
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Like any forums, you can choose whether your read something or not. It's not really any different on fb. At least I can easily skip the things that don't interest me.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I have to be honest and say, as per my last post, that I haven't even noticed. I'm not getting anything I don't really want to see, or only occasionally and then I respond by basically saying don't show me these in future, but that might not be what is being discussed.
Talk is cheap
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:39 pm It's a surprise because until now, you've been given a choice.
When I open FB at the top of my feeds I get a "Viewing recent posts, to view top posts press here"

That is somewhat paraphrased, but it is giving me a choice. :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Do you use groups? I used to find it very interesting to look at e.g. the Photos of Old Plymouth page. If I go into that group now, regardless of what the rest of Facebook does, I have to to look at what Facebook decides I want to look at. The choice has been removed in groups making them virtually useless.

Points 41; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:02 am Do you use groups? I used to find it very interesting to look at e.g. the Photos of Old Plymouth page. If I go into that group now, regardless of what the rest of Facebook does, I have to to look at what Facebook decides I want to look at. The choice has been removed in groups making them virtually useless.
No I don't use groups. I'll give it a try later and let you know.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That is why you are having difficulty understanding the problems. One group was Buy, Swap, Sell - Hua Hin. I kept getting notices of new posts, but kept seeing the same things for sale. In the beginning there was the option to change the display order - that option has been withdrawn.

I've just looked, and the option has been restored. I guess too many people stopped using it.

Points 41; Position 18
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I believe that no mater what option you select, Facebook will NOT want to show you all of your friends' posts, it will decide which to show you before then offering you posts which you did not ask to see. The rest of your friends' posts you will not see unless you do what I describe below. I think the problem is definitely worse if you use the Facebook mobile app rather than a desktop computer (in my experience).

I know this because if I (1) select most recent posts and scroll through as many of my friends' posts as it will show me before then starting to show me posts I don't even want, then (2) refresh (click on 'Most recent' again), it will show me a completely different (but fewer in number) set of posts from my friends. That works a few times until in the end it will only show one new post (maybe then I have seen them all, who can say). But you have to do this to force it to show you all your friends' posts. Facebook is evil.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I don't know what I'm doing right then. In either mode I see nothing except friend's posts and posts from organizations I've "liked" and "follow". A few times a day they'll show me a "suggested post" or a "sponsors post" urging me I assume to like/follow, but it is not very frequent. No idea if I'm seeing all of my Friend's posts, but it's enough. :shock: :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

PeteC wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:40 pm I don't know what I'm doing right then. In either mode I see nothing except friend's posts and posts from organizations I've "liked" and "follow". A few times a day they'll show me a "suggested post" or a "sponsors post" urging me I assume to like/follow, but it is not very frequent. No idea if I'm seeing all of my Friend's posts, but it's enough. :shock: :D Pete :cheers:
I'm the same Pete, no real issues for me.

I can't even find an option to select 'most recent posts'?
Talk is cheap
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Drop down after click on three . . . right of News Feed.
Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 20.55.13.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 20.55.13.png (33.02 KiB) Viewed 245 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source