Mobile contract with international roaming.

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Mobile contract with international roaming.

Post by Gregjam »

As an alternative to keeping my UK contract and running my AIS prepaid I will be venturing into MV to check on getting a local contract with international roaming. I like to do some groundwork before being exposed to the salesmen and my Thai is not up to the providers websites whose English pages have more Thai than English (not having a go, just to say I have looked).
I spend three months here and three months away where my phone use is minimal, primarily when travelling when I may need to contact agents when stuck waiting in an airport and phone the wife to let her know I have arrived safely or will be back soon. While here I want to use the Internet as well as messages and calls. While away messages and calls is all I want. As the phone is idle for half the year I don't want to pay a premium for connectivity for half of the year.
Is anyone aware of suitable plans or ways around this. I suspect any contract will be in my wife's name which is not a problem. I saw something about multi SIM on the AIS website but would this work with two numbers?
My UK contract is not expensive but am trying to reduce UK standing orders etc.
I am hopeful others on here who work to similar schedules may have an easy solution that avoids activating and deactivating functions each time I go to work.
It will be interesting to see the response, even the lore humourous ones.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: Mobile contract with international roaming.

Post by VincentD »

Get a dual SIM phone. I have a monthly contact with TRUE in Thailand and another SIM in Singapore that has a 6 month validity period, much like pre-paid cards here. The Thai SIM has 400 minutes of talk time and unlimited internet though slow after 2 gigs are used. The Singapore SIM is limited to what value is in the card and the data is renewed every time I get into the airport, 7 days at a time. Cost is minimal. Just switch over once you land. You can always keep the other SIM in the background but be prepared to fork out for international roaming (make sure you get this done before leaving the country) and you are connected either way.
Other option - two phones - one personal, the other company. Has worked in the past...
วินเชนท์
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

You can also do it with a Thai pay as you go recharge sim, no problems and no fees except when you use the sim overseas.

I use One 2 Call, no issues
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I currently have a dual sim phone with a 12call top up card in and my Vodafone UK sim. Working on the suggestions above can one sim provide all my needs or should I perhaps have one possibly more expensive per call one for use when travelling and another for local use on a cheaper rate. I am trying to avoid having to top up while abroad or play sim swapping. In the past I have carried sims from Singapore, Oz, Trinidad in pursuit of cheaper calls and want to avoid this if possible.