Tablet Recommendations Spec, Price, Quality

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Re: Tablet Recommendations Spec, Price, Quality

Post by BOZ »

Well I like to have the latest and greatest... Every IPad I have owned is still working perfect... Even the one I dropped and cracked the screen an IPad4 128GB, I gave it to my sister in-law and her husband changed the screen in 10 mins.. I bought a new one for me.... I have not owned a 3 or an air, I currently use an air2... I had an iPhone 3 which got obsoleted... I had a 4s which is still used by another sister in-law.. I am using a 5S currently... Will most likely upgrade whe the new model comes out.. Oh yeah, I will give the 5S to a sister in-law... All of my iProducts have worked as expected and continue to do so... Please don't judge my personal upgrades as a negative on the Apple products.. I upgrade so I can pass a device to my in-laws, they love it, I love that I can do so and I stay current on current devices....
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

No electronics will last indefinitely and rechargeable batteries are a classic example of this. It does alarm me that a day's use will exhaust my iPhone but I hammer it pretty hard with data and calls and know that if I turned off 3G, wifi, Bluetooth and GPS it would probably last three times as long. We'd all be moaning if we were putting s**t loads of triple AAAs in our devices everyday so, as usual, there's a pay off.

I tend to run about a three year cycle on my tech but generally buy the top spec model so can sometimes stretch that out a little further. I'm working with a lot of audio visual material so space and speed are important as we get pushed beyond 1080p towards 4k.

Anyway Kendo, I have a first gen iPad mini, which is great, and also recently bought a refurbished Mini 2 with GSM from apple that was a bargain so you might want to check out their site. I haven't tried android or windows phones but am familiar with the concept. Since my home set-up is apple and it's a technology I started to use in the early 90s, I'm happy enough sticking with what I know.

About a month ago, I noticed a kind of stain on my iMac screen - it looked a bit like some kind of water mark - and was worried since the machine was 16 months old and out of its 12 month warranty; I never buy apple care. I was very concerned when taking it to the Apple Store for a repair quote. Rightly so, it was just over £400 as it needed a new screen. Apple simply replaced it, no argument, no discussion and no cost to me. I like customer service like that. The only drag was having to lug it from Brighton train station down to the store!
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Kendo, personally I'd go for a Lenovo. Android or Windows based tablets, or 2-in-1 Laptops. I went for an Android based Tablet, which has served me very well for a couple of years now. I use it for most things when travelling: - Emails, reports, Ebooks, vids etc... You can buy add-ons such as Bluetooth keypads etc.

Half the price of an iPad and having the Android based Tablet doesn't necessitate purchasing Apple products!! :naughty: :tsk:

Full Asian language support - the LHG has her's in Chinese and Japanese. I'm absolutely sure Thai is supported, but will confirm with she who must be obeyed.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I won't be buying an iPad for him purely down to cost. So really looking for recommendations Android or Windows based OS. I have lost count how many phones I have purchased in Thailand. My niece got a 7K Baht Samsung E5 out of me this year.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

I'm looking for a cheap tablet for my 3 year old to watch videos on youtube when I'm too busy to devote 100% to watching him or when I'm watching footy (pretty much the same thing) so no need for expensive or gimmicks so no ipad, Samsung etc.

I've seen a few cheap ones but what is the minimum spec I should be looking for ? I've ruled out the cheapest which has 512 mb, will 1GB suffice?

e.g. This imobile for 1,590 Baht.

Product details of i-mobile i-note WiFi 1.1
ระบบปฏิบัติการ: Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)

หน่วยประมวลผล : Qualcomm Dual Core
- ความเร็ว : 1.5 GHz

หน่วยความจำ
- ROM 8GB
- RAM 1GB

การ์ดหน่วยความจำ microSD - สูงสุด 32 GB

การหาตำแหน่ง: Assisted GPS
- รองรับแอพพลิเคชั่น Google Maps™

WiFi 802.11b/g/n
- จุดกระจายสัญญาณอินเตอร์เน็ตแบบพกพา (Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot)

Bluetooth 4.0
Micro USB 3.0
ช่องเสียบชุดหูฟัง 3.5 มิลลิเมตร
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Phyton
Professional
Professional

Post by Phyton »

Since some weeks i have a Google Pixel C, 32 GB for 499 €, with the magnetic keyboard for 169 €.
A brilliant device. Pure Android 6.01 really happy with it.

I use it for a quick Internet access, wife also watching movies and play games.
Greets,
Phyton
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Phyton wrote:Since some weeks i have a Google Pixel C, 32 GB for 499 €, with the magnetic keyboard for 169 €.
For over 25,000 Baht you should be happy with it but I think a tad overkill for my 3 year old to watch Bob the Builder on youtube.

Man in pub circa 1987.
Phyton
Professional
Professional

Post by Phyton »

Very important for me was, the pure Android from Google with the security patches and updates in future.
The cheap once comes with Android 4.4 or 5 or 5.1 most will never get any updates or new Android versions.
Compareables from Sony or Samsung are in the same price range.

That was for me the reason for the Pixel C.
Greets,
Phyton
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Pagey wrote:
Phyton wrote:Since some weeks i have a Google Pixel C, 32 GB for 499 €, with the magnetic keyboard for 169 €.
For over 25,000 Baht you should be happy with it but I think a tad overkill for my 3 year old to watch Bob the Builder on youtube.

Hi Pagey,
Phyton was quoting euro I think, not sterling - so the price is 19+k, but still a bit too expensive for a 3-year old, I agree.

Please let us know if you find one - I'm looking for something like this, too
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Have you thought about an all-in-1 pc? Under 10k bt, bigger screen and a good back-up if you have problems with your main computer.
This is the way
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Hi Pagey,
Phyton was quoting euro I think, not sterling - so the price is 19+k, but still a bit too expensive for a 3-year old, I agree.

Please let us know if you find one - I'm looking for something like this, too[/quote]

Yes Euro, I was including the price of the keyboard he quoted, total 668 Euros :thumb:

What about the i mobile I suggested ? It's from Lazada but supplied by Tesco.

Man in pub circa 1987.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

dtaai-maai wrote:Have you thought about an all-in-1 pc? Under 10k bt, bigger screen and a good back-up if you have problems with your main computer.
I've just bought a new laptop so should be good for a few years plus sometimes I need to take him to the pub with me so the tab is ideal for what I need at the mo. :oops:

Man in pub circa 1987.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Pagey wrote:What about the i mobile I suggested ? It's from Lazada but supplied by Tesco.
I'm no expert on hardware requirements, but 1 GB RAM sounds a bit light for running youtube. I'm sure someone on this forum knows whether it is sufficient or not......
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

barrys wrote:
Pagey wrote:What about the i mobile I suggested ? It's from Lazada but supplied by Tesco.
I'm no expert on hardware requirements, but 1 GB RAM sounds a bit light for running youtube. I'm sure someone on this forum knows whether it is sufficient or not......
OK but 2GB puts the price up considerably in comparison with what I will be using it for. :cheers:

Edit : I may take a look in Powerbuy or somewhere and ask for a demo of 1GB tabs.

Man in pub circa 1987.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

barrys wrote:
I've got an older Acer tablet from about three years ago that only has 1gb RAM and it still plays youtube without any problems.