The Digital Surgery (computer questions/problems here)

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Is it possible to have office 2003 and 2007 on the same machine?

Is there no way of converting 2003 files to 2007 compatible format?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
buksida

Post by buksida »

richard wrote:Is it possible to have office 2003 and 2007 on the same machine?
No.
richard wrote:Is there no way of converting 2003 files to 2007 compatible format?
2003 files will open in 2007 no worries, its when you go backwards you'll have problems unless you export them in the correct format.

So if you write a letter in 07 and send it to your mum who has 03 she wont be able to open it unless you export it as 03 instead of saving it normally in 07.

Confused yet? :idea:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

No not confused anymore

Understanding now loud and clear

Does that include emails sent? Would exporting work?

ps I think this thread is under utilised probably due to people not knowing it exists

Hopefully our little exchanges will stimulate some interest

Maybe you should rename it FAQ or leave as digital surgery and include in the Digital Realm header
Last edited by richard on Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Good idea, will get onto that.

While we cant promise to fix everything we can certainly try to put people in the right direction!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Buksi

Does the same apply to emails

Sending from 7 to 3?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

buksida

Post by buksida »

Emails are unaffected its only Word, Excel etc documents.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

TOT broadband

Post by richard »

May have been answered before but how come if I have a connection problem and phone their hotline in BK I'm on again within seconds?

I know if I upgraded a notch things may improve. I am on the lowest tariff and know the traffic and realise this is seriously overloaded, but I only use the net for emails, surfing and movie downloads. Oh, and course SKYPE, and It's adequate for me
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

buksida

Post by buksida »

All international internet connections have been bad this week - more cable problems according to CAT.
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

I can confirm bad internet connections here in Krabi since 4-5 days. I can visit certain sites without a problem but others not. An hour later I have access to the others but then cannot open the ones that gave no problem earlier on????
Thought it might have something to do with the cyclone. Or are these cables unaffected running over the bottom of the ocean???
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

I know the connections are up and down but my question was 'why do I instantly get connected when I phone the hotline?'
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

caller wrote:HELP!!!!!!!!

Went to use it this morning and this greeted me (eventually):

STOP: The registry cannot load the hive (file):
(All the following words are preceded by a backslash) - systemroot - system32 - config - SOFTWARE or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or not writeable.

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.

Contact sustem admin etc.......

Thanks.

Un-frigging unbelievable that I have this again - the 3rd time!!!

Missus was using it okay earlier today, no problems switching off. But when I switched on this evening, eventually ended up with a blue screen and the above message.

1st time Dell fixed things, 2nd time I did, but I can't recall how - any offers? I have all the relevant disks and everything and the only big change recently was downloading windwes xp pack 3!

But when I input the reinstall disks nothng happens. Can anyone tell me what mode I should be in? I thought the disk would start automatically or do I have to get rid of whats already there first and if do, how?

My wifes fujitsu copy with the wonky software hasn't gone wrong since the day bought, apart from a flat battery pack needing changing! :guns:

Thats what I'm using now.
Talk is cheap
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

caller wrote:
Missus was using it okay earlier today
Yeah but the webcam was playing up again. Can you get it sorted out please mate.

Cheers,

SJ
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Funny, funny, funny!!! :butt:

Well it made me laugh - besides, it can't be true, I threw the webcam away last week!!! :thumb:

:offtopic:
Talk is cheap
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

caller,
You should try starting your PC in 'Safe Mode' or try the 'Last Known Good Configuration' if you haven't already; to do this when you turn on the computer either press and hold the F8 button, or some models require you to repeatedly tap the F8 button, until you get the Windows Advanced Options Menu. Both of these items are options on the menu, and I would try the configuration one first, as if that works it may help you identify what has caused the problem, as you will have a date, so if that was before you installed SP3 then that could be the problem. If that doesn't work, start up again and choose 'Safe Mode' or 'Safe Mode with Networking' (this allows you to connect to the internet while in safe mode), and then you should be able to run your install discs, as well as back up any files before doing so if necessary. Good luck!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Many thanks WL, I will try that this evening. Tried last configuration, but just get blue screen.
Talk is cheap