Wifi signal booster

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
buksida

Wifi signal booster

Post by buksida »

My neighbour wants to share our internet connection but our current router (Cisco E1200) doesnt produce a strong enough signal to reach his house. Can anyone recommend a booster to increase the signal strength? The house is only 20 odd meters away but my crapola TOT connection is even worse over there!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
barrys
Legend
Legend

Re: Wifi signal booster

Post by barrys »

You could try a bigger (higher gain) antenna at the router to replace the small one supplied - that should increase the range a good few metres - or buy a TP-Link (or other brand) wireless repeater/extender - I bought one last year on the top floor of the old shopping mall for about 1400 baht I think - and position in somewhere in the middle.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I, too found the range of the wifi absymal and got a TP-link range extender. Works a treat now and can get a signal even at the sister's place next door.

Something you may want to consider re signal strength; download a wifi analyser app to your phone (I'm using android) and check that you're not using similar channel bandwith as that of your neighbours. If you are it's quite simple to find an unused channel and change over. Your signals then won't be fighting to overpower each other and find things go a lot faster and smoother.

My two baht worth.
วินเชนท์
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

I used a Netgear WN3000RP as a very useful extender that also has an RJ45 outlet for non-wireless gear, which is a bonus. It's probably not much cheaper than a new router, though (I use a TP Link TD-W8970 in Hua Hin) and you could get one with a much better spread-spectrum wifi distribution pattern for only slightly more money.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I have a load of unneeded equipment that could be used for signal/range boosting... I'm always willing to settle the bill in Changs or Leos too. Drop me a line
buksida

Post by buksida »

cisco-linksys-e1200_2.jpg
cisco-linksys-e1200_2.jpg (11.16 KiB) Viewed 887 times
I think I've found the problem, my router has no aerial socket and probably a very small antenna inside it which is why the signal doesn't go very far.

So instead of a booster I'll probably need a different router that I can plug one of these into.
41GhnJqtXbL._SY300_.jpg
41GhnJqtXbL._SY300_.jpg (9.07 KiB) Viewed 887 times
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

I had a big problem too. On the advice of my son who is a Dell certified PC Engineer I bought one of these from Lazada ......ALFA Wireless USB Adaptor 2000mW Speed 150M AWUS036NH (Silver) for 1020 baht. I use it on the laptop upstairs. It is a USB unit and comes with the driver on a disc so you will need a disc drive, although you can download the software from the makers website. Brilliant bit of kit.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I think that Alfa unit is a receiver, what I need is a transmitter to increase the signal range such as the Netgear N300 mentioned (a wee bit more than I wanted to spend though!).

Pleng, thanks for the offer - do you have anything that will do this and can be plugged into the CAT5 socket on my existing router?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Problem solved - neighbour just said he'd pay for the Netgear one!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

A cheaper option:

"Genius! Boost Your WiFi with a Soda Can"

https://news.yahoo.com/genius-boost-you ... 82998.html
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Ingenious, for sure, but even then not much use without an external antenna or socket!
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
buksida

Post by buksida »

Correctamundo - hence the need for a device with a physical antenna.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

buksida wrote: Pleng, thanks for the offer - do you have anything that will do this and can be plugged into the CAT5 socket on my existing router?
Hi Buksida. Sorry I just saw your reply. I gather you're sorted now but in case there's any issues I have a Linksys WRT54GL which should do the job quite nicely.